Replacing files in ROM
Author Message
 Replacing files in ROM

Is it possible to replace files that are in ROM?

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:38:52 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
That's device-dependent, but typically, no.  You may be able to copy a
replacement file over the top of a ROM-based file in the Windows directory.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Is it possible to replace files that are in ROM?

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 23:37:01 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
I think YES,
I can put a file that with same name with a ROM one.

Quote:
> Is it possible to replace files that are in ROM?

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:12:05 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
ROM means "Read ONLY Memory".  You can replace the files only if you
have a ROM burner.

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:36:04 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
Windows CE allows you to "replace" a ROM file with a RAM based one unless the file is in use at the time of the copy.
(Several System files cannot be replaced.) It's generally a really bad idea to overwrite a ROM file unless you are the
device manufacturer as you never know what version the mfg has included and if the file is ever updated by the
manufacturer your modifications are lost or could cause problems.

--
Steve Maillet - [Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP]
Entelechy Software Consulting

Quote:

> Is it possible to replace files that are in ROM?

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:22:35 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
Thank you for your info. Do I need to perform soft reset after a newer file
is copied or such a reset is not needed?

Quote:
> Windows CE allows you to "replace" a ROM file with a RAM based one unless

the file is in use at the time of the copy.
Quote:
> (Several System files cannot be replaced.) It's generally a really bad

idea to overwrite a ROM file unless you are the
Quote:
> device manufacturer as you never know what version the mfg has included

and if the file is ever updated by the
Quote:
> manufacturer your modifications are lost or could cause problems.

> --
> Steve Maillet - [Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP]
> Entelechy Software Consulting
> smaillet 'AT' EntelechyConsulting 'DOT' com
> http://www.EntelechyConsulting.com

Quote:
> > Is it possible to replace files that are in ROM?

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:41:49 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
While ROM does mean "Read Only Memory," the Pocket PC 2002 devices all (or
at least most of them) have Flash ROM, so you can overwrite things that are
currently in ROM with other things. This, as previously stated, is generally
not a good idea though, and the process for doing so will most likely be
different for each manufacturer..

--Jay Lagorio, MCP

Quote:
> ROM means "Read ONLY Memory".  You can replace the files only if you
> have a ROM burner.

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:41:49 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
No a reset is not required as the file cannot be in use
when the copy is performed.

Quote:

message

>> > Is it possible to replace files that are in ROM?

>.

Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:14:21 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
But if you replace Frutiger font files for MS Reader by another fonts then
you can't delete them even after reset. I have a doubts that MS Reader open
them on startup.

Best regards,
Alex.

Quote:
> No a reset is not required as the file cannot be in use
> when the copy is performed.

Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:14:14 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
The OS Opens font files at boot time.

--
Steve Maillet - [Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP]
Entelechy Software Consulting
smaillet 'AT' EntelechyConsulting 'DOT' com
http://www.EntelechyConsulting.com

Quote:

> But if you replace Frutiger font files for MS Reader by another fonts then
> you can't delete them even after reset. I have a doubts that MS Reader open
> them on startup.

> Best regards,
> Alex.

> > No a reset is not required as the file cannot be in use
> > when the copy is performed.

Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:27:04 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
Now we have contradiction:

1. We can't replace opened files, i.e. we can't replace font files, but we
indeed replaced it, i.e. files weren't opened.
2. Files weren't opened, i.e. we can replace them again or delete them, but
we can't, i.e. files were opened.

What's wrong?

Best regards,
Alex.

Quote:
> The OS Opens font files at boot time.

> --
> Steve Maillet - [Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP]
> Entelechy Software Consulting
> smaillet 'AT' EntelechyConsulting 'DOT' com
> http://www.EntelechyConsulting.com

Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:20:16 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
Huh?

--
Steve Maillet - [Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP]
Entelechy Software Consulting
smaillet 'AT' EntelechyConsulting 'DOT' com
http://www.EntelechyConsulting.com

Quote:

> Now we have contradiction:

> 1. We can't replace opened files, i.e. we can't replace font files, but we
> indeed replaced it, i.e. files weren't opened.
> 2. Files weren't opened, i.e. we can replace them again or delete them, but
> we can't, i.e. files were opened.

> What's wrong?

> Best regards,
> Alex.

> > The OS Opens font files at boot time.

> > --
> > Steve Maillet - [Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP]
> > Entelechy Software Consulting
> > smaillet 'AT' EntelechyConsulting 'DOT' com
> > http://www.EntelechyConsulting.com

Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:15:40 GMT
 Replacing files in ROM
Just a strict description of situation that I can replace MS Reader fonts
but I can't delete them when new files are not needed anymore.
I don't know why?

Best regards,
Alex.

Quote:
> Huh?

> --
> Steve Maillet - [Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP]
> Entelechy Software Consulting
> smaillet 'AT' EntelechyConsulting 'DOT' com
> http://www.EntelechyConsulting.com

Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:55:29 GMT

1. CD-Rom or DVD rom

2. Replacing File with Random File

3. MDI file opens/replaces file in childframe

4. MDI file opens/replaces file in childframe

5. Reading file from CD-ROM

6. Creating BMP file rom view while view is hidden

7. Creating BMP file rom view while view is hidden

8. ROM files

9. Can I write my files in ROM?

10. Replace more then one charaster using String.Replace()

11. replace a string in a file

12. Replacing a string in a File