To Paul T. regarding Using Unicode in Embedded C++ 4.0
Author Message
 To Paul T. regarding Using Unicode in Embedded C++ 4.0

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Can you please provide me some
sample code which means "read the registry entry for the
hard disk driver to find out what its path is"? Or maybe
some more detail guideline on this? I am a newbie in this
field, not so sure how to do this.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Best Regards,
Candy

Quote:
string is
>hard-coded and change it to read the registry entry for

the hard disk driver
Quote:
>to find out what its path is.

>Paul T.

>> Hello there,

>> I am trying to modify an application so that this
>> application is able to find the \Hard Disk\ path which
is
>> already been localized to Chinese. This application has
>> hard coded to create a file in \Hard Disk\. In English
>> version of CE.NET, the application still works fine. But
>> in Chinese version of CE.NET, it doesn't work anymore
>> since the \Hard Disk\ path has changed its name to
>> Chinese. Anyone have the same experience before please
>> help me.

>> Thanks in advanced for helping...

>> Best Regards,
>> Candy

Fri, 27 May 2005 15:32:58 GMT
 To Paul T. regarding Using Unicode in Embedded C++ 4.0
Please don't change the subject line when responding as part of a thread, it
screws up the newsreaders...

You know the name that the OS is assigning to the hard disk in the English
version, correct ("Hard Disk" or something)?  It would be a good idea to
look through the registry for that string or for the localized string name,
something like LOC_HARDDISK_NAME.  Then, in the Chinese version, open and
read the same key, which should then give you the string for the name, as
the Chinese OS assigns it.  It will be in the Storage Manager section of the
registry, probably in a key named "Folder".

Paul T.

Quote:
> Hi Paul,

> Thanks for your reply. Can you please provide me some
> sample code which means "read the registry entry for the
> hard disk driver to find out what its path is"? Or maybe
> some more detail guideline on this? I am a newbie in this
> field, not so sure how to do this.

> Thanks in advanced for your help.

> Best Regards,
> Candy

Fri, 27 May 2005 23:09:17 GMT
 To Paul T. regarding Using Unicode in Embedded C++ 4.0
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. And sorry about that too since I
scared that you didn't read this email.

Yes, I know the name that the OS is assigning to the hard
disk in the English version, that is, \Hard Disk. And I
also know the localized string name for \Hard Disk, that
is, LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER. I know the name that the Chinese
OS is assigning to the hard disk as well. So what I tried
was to replace the \\Hard Disk code below with
\\LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER. I also tried to replace it with the
Chinese name. Besides that I also tried to replace it with
the Unicode number that refer to the Chinese character.
But none of this method are working.

The following is the original code:
hF1 = CreateFile(TEXT("\\Hard Disk\\TEST.DAT"),
GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM, NULL);

And I modified it to become:
hF1 = CreateFile(TEXT("\\LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER\\TEST.DAT"),
GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM, NULL);

or
#define NAME   "0x786C 0x76D8"

hF1 = CreateFile(TEXT("\\NAME\\TEST.DAT"), GENERIC_READ,
FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM, NULL);

Hope you can help me with this problem.

Best Regards,
Candy

Quote:

Sun, 29 May 2005 17:20:15 GMT
 To Paul T. regarding Using Unicode in Embedded C++ 4.0
Well, obviously, dropping a random string of text, LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER,
isn't going to work; that's going to try to find a folder named
"LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER".  Follow the steps I gave in the previous e-mail.
There are no shortcuts.  You have to do all that stuff.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Hi Paul,

> Thanks for your reply. And sorry about that too since I
> scared that you didn't read this email.

> Yes, I know the name that the OS is assigning to the hard
> disk in the English version, that is, \Hard Disk. And I
> also know the localized string name for \Hard Disk, that
> is, LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER. I know the name that the Chinese
> OS is assigning to the hard disk as well. So what I tried
> was to replace the \\Hard Disk code below with
> \\LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER. I also tried to replace it with the
> Chinese name. Besides that I also tried to replace it with
> the Unicode number that refer to the Chinese character.
> But none of this method are working.

> The following is the original code:
> hF1 = CreateFile(TEXT("\\Hard Disk\\TEST.DAT"),
> GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
> FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM, NULL);

> And I modified it to become:
> hF1 = CreateFile(TEXT("\\LOC_STORE_HD_FOLDER\\TEST.DAT"),
> GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
> FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM, NULL);

> or
> #define NAME   "0x786C 0x76D8"

> hF1 = CreateFile(TEXT("\\NAME\\TEST.DAT"), GENERIC_READ,
> FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
> FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM, NULL);

> Hope you can help me with this problem.

> Best Regards,
> Candy

Sun, 29 May 2005 23:59:47 GMT

1. Using Unicode in Embedded C++ 4.0

2. Using C++ streams in embedded Visual C++ 4.0

3. Is there a way to merge visual C++ 6.0 and Embedded visual C++ 4.0

4. Using Jet 4.0 Unicode databases with DAO

5. Error when using embedded VC 4.0

6. eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 / some example

7. Serious eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 bug

8. eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 ???

9. Documentation for Embedded Visual C++ 4.0??

10. How to Program eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 with a newly built SDK

11. Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 SDK

12. eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0