Help! CE 3.0 vs CE .NET newbie questions
Author Message
 Help! CE 3.0 vs CE .NET newbie questions

Hi,
We are starting two new projects, one using a StrongARM SA-1110 and the
other with a Geode.  We are wondering whether we should use CE 3.0 or CE
.NET.  Since CE .NET is so new, I am concerned about a possible lack of
training, books, and support.

With CE 3.0, it appears that Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 can be freely
downloaded from Microsoft.  If we want to build our own hardware and BSP, we
can purchase Platform Builder 3.0.

For CE .NET, I see on Microsoft's website where I can purchase Platform
Builder 4.0, but how do I obtain Embedded Visual C++ 4.0?  Does it come with
Platform Builder 4.0?  Is it provided with the MSDN?  Visual Studio .NET?  I
will need several copies of Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 but presumably only one
copy of Platform Builder 4.0.

It seems like it may be easier to develop applications for CE 3.0 due all
the existing support.  It also looks like the development tools may be
cheaper too.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or comments.

Regards,
Doug

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:23:03 GMT
 Help! CE 3.0 vs CE .NET newbie questions
EV4 comes with platform builder 4.  You can get it with the full version, or
the Eval version.

--
Dean Ramsier - eMVP
Accelent Systems Inc

Quote:
> Hi,
> We are starting two new projects, one using a StrongARM SA-1110 and the
> other with a Geode.  We are wondering whether we should use CE 3.0 or CE
> .NET.  Since CE .NET is so new, I am concerned about a possible lack of
> training, books, and support.

> With CE 3.0, it appears that Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 can be freely
> downloaded from Microsoft.  If we want to build our own hardware and BSP,
we
> can purchase Platform Builder 3.0.

> For CE .NET, I see on Microsoft's website where I can purchase Platform
> Builder 4.0, but how do I obtain Embedded Visual C++ 4.0?  Does it come
with
> Platform Builder 4.0?  Is it provided with the MSDN?  Visual Studio .NET?
> will need several copies of Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 but presumably only
one
> copy of Platform Builder 4.0.

> It seems like it may be easier to develop applications for CE 3.0 due all
> the existing support.  It also looks like the development tools may be
> cheaper too.

> Thanks in advance for any help and/or comments.

> Regards,
> Doug

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:48:10 GMT
 Help! CE 3.0 vs CE .NET newbie questions
Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Now I have additional questions.

Is the Embedded Visual C++ version that comes with the Eval version of
Platform Builder 4.0 limited in any way (i.e. only works for x number of
days, only produces images of a certain size, etc)?

In order to get EVC++ 4.0 for my team members, is it legal for me to buy the
one copy of Platform Builder that I need and then use the Eval version to
get the other copies?  Or must I buy Platform Builder for every team member
just to get the development tools?  What are the terms of the End User
License Agreement (EULA)?

I suppose my ultimate question is whether EVC++ 4.0 is free like EVC++ 3.0
was?  I am on a pretty tight budget and I need to know my options.

Any chance some Microsoft folks could respond?

Thanks,
Doug

Quote:
> EV4 comes with platform builder 4.  You can get it with the full version,
or
> the Eval version.

> --
> Dean Ramsier - eMVP
> Accelent Systems Inc
> http://www.accelent.com

> > Hi,
> > We are starting two new projects, one using a StrongARM SA-1110 and the
> > other with a Geode.  We are wondering whether we should use CE 3.0 or CE
> > .NET.  Since CE .NET is so new, I am concerned about a possible lack of
> > training, books, and support.

> > With CE 3.0, it appears that Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 can be freely
> > downloaded from Microsoft.  If we want to build our own hardware and
BSP,
> we
> > can purchase Platform Builder 3.0.

> > For CE .NET, I see on Microsoft's website where I can purchase Platform
> > Builder 4.0, but how do I obtain Embedded Visual C++ 4.0?  Does it come
> with
> > Platform Builder 4.0?  Is it provided with the MSDN?  Visual Studio
.NET?
> > will need several copies of Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 but presumably only
> one
> > copy of Platform Builder 4.0.

> > It seems like it may be easier to develop applications for CE 3.0 due
all
> > the existing support.  It also looks like the development tools may be
> > cheaper too.

> > Thanks in advance for any help and/or comments.

> > Regards,
> > Doug

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:06:04 GMT
 Help! CE 3.0 vs CE .NET newbie questions

Quote:
>Is the Embedded Visual C++ version that comes with the Eval
>version of Platform Builder 4.0 limited in any way (i.e. only works
>for x number of days, only produces images of a certain size,
>etc)?

No, but you can only target Windows CE 4.0 with it. If you want to
develop for Pocket PC and Handheld PC, you need to use eMbedded VC++
3.0.

Marc Zimmermann
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
--
MVP Information - http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp
Pocket PC Tips, Reviews, Downloads - http://www.pocketpc.com

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:19:32 GMT

1. MFC CE 2.11 vs. MFC CE 3.0 compatibility

2. CE 3.0 application in CE.NET platform

3. MFC Application for CE 2.11 on CE 3.0

4. CE toolkit support for CE 3.0

5. CE.NET and VS.NET

6. SQL Server CE 2.0, EVC++4, and CE.NET

7. ADOCE and SQL CE on NetPad 5000 (Ce.net)

8. SQL Server CE, CE.NET and eVC++ 4

9. Starting JScript engine from emVC++ 3.0 on CE 3.0

10. eVC/CE 3.0 -> 4.0 compat, using CE3 dlls in CE.Net

11. ATAPI disk driver question(CE. net)

12. newbie question: MFC not for CE dev?