Get system idle time
Author Message
 Get system idle time

Is there anyway to get the system idle time?  I've found functions that let
me get and set different values for various idle timeouts, but non which let
me retrieve the current idle time.  Or, on the flip side, is there any way
to register with some power control function to get various notifications?
We have a secondary display and we would like it to power down/off a) with
the system backlight b) on a seperate timer (if system idle for timeout).

A) We don't see a way to accomplish this.
B) We can do this today, but it requires intercepting all mouse events and
constantly reseting our timer which is not our prefered solution.  And we
figure why do this when the system is already keeping an idle timer or
somenthing similar.

Please, throw any hints, suggestions at me.
Brian
iisvr.com

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:57:08 GMT
 Get system idle time
What version of Windows CE?

Paul T.

Quote:
> Is there anyway to get the system idle time?  I've found functions that
let
> me get and set different values for various idle timeouts, but non which
let
> me retrieve the current idle time.  Or, on the flip side, is there any way
> to register with some power control function to get various notifications?
> We have a secondary display and we would like it to power down/off a) with
> the system backlight b) on a seperate timer (if system idle for timeout).

> A) We don't see a way to accomplish this.
> B) We can do this today, but it requires intercepting all mouse events and
> constantly reseting our timer which is not our prefered solution.  And we
> figure why do this when the system is already keeping an idle timer or
> somenthing similar.

> Please, throw any hints, suggestions at me.
> Brian
> iisvr.com

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:58:11 GMT
 Get system idle time
WinCE 3.0 and specifically Pocket PC
Brian

Quote:
> What version of Windows CE?

> Paul T.

> > Is there anyway to get the system idle time?  I've found functions that
> let
> > me get and set different values for various idle timeouts, but non which
> let
> > me retrieve the current idle time.  Or, on the flip side, is there any
way
> > to register with some power control function to get various
notifications?
> > We have a secondary display and we would like it to power down/off a)
with
> > the system backlight b) on a seperate timer (if system idle for
timeout).

> > A) We don't see a way to accomplish this.
> > B) We can do this today, but it requires intercepting all mouse events
and
> > constantly reseting our timer which is not our prefered solution.  And
we
> > figure why do this when the system is already keeping an idle timer or
> > somenthing similar.

> > Please, throw any hints, suggestions at me.
> > Brian
> > iisvr.com

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:14:39 GMT
 Get system idle time
The information about when that time-out occurs is pretty well locked-up in
GWES, the windowing system.  If you want to keep the system from deciding
it's been idle too long and having it turn off the backlight or something,
you can call SystemIdleTimerReset().

However, there aren't any specified notifications for time-out occurring,
nor any hooks for being informed when some other application or driver calls
SystemIdleTimerReset.  There are special cases to that, such as detecting
that the system is about to suspend (possibly because of idleness), but not
really what you want it to do.  I think that the best you can do on a fixed
platform like the PPC is to detect all of the events, as you already have
found, and keep your own timer.

I keep meaning to add support for doing that kind of thing to our platforms,
but it always falls behind something higher priority...

Paul T.

Quote:
> WinCE 3.0 and specifically Pocket PC
> Brian

> > What version of Windows CE?

> > Paul T.

> > > Is there anyway to get the system idle time?  I've found functions
that
> > let
> > > me get and set different values for various idle timeouts, but non
which
> > let
> > > me retrieve the current idle time.  Or, on the flip side, is there any
> way
> > > to register with some power control function to get various
> notifications?
> > > We have a secondary display and we would like it to power down/off a)
> with
> > > the system backlight b) on a seperate timer (if system idle for
> timeout).

> > > A) We don't see a way to accomplish this.
> > > B) We can do this today, but it requires intercepting all mouse events
> and
> > > constantly reseting our timer which is not our prefered solution.  And
> we
> > > figure why do this when the system is already keeping an idle timer or
> > > somenthing similar.

> > > Please, throw any hints, suggestions at me.
> > > Brian
> > > iisvr.com

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:27:04 GMT

1. Getting idle time of system/os

2. How to get system idle time or get notified after the system being idle for an extended time

3. How to get system idle time or get notified after the system being idle for an extended time

4. System Idle time

5. System Idle Time modification...

6. system idle time

7. System Idle Time modification...

8. How to detect system idle time?

9. How to determine system idle time without hooks?

10. Monitoring System Idle Time

11. execute on system idle time

12. How to obtain the login time and the idle time of the user