Touch Panel resolution for GetMouseMovePoints
Author Message
 Touch Panel resolution for GetMouseMovePoints

I am using GetMouseMovePoints to track the WM_MOUSEMOVE event.  I read
that the API call returns points in touch panel resolution, not screen
resolution and that generally it is 4 times the screen.

Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
ratio?  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.

Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
calls?  I don't think so, but thought I'd check.

Thanks.

Gene Chang

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 05:58:07 GMT
 Touch Panel resolution for GetMouseMovePoints
Hi

Quote:
> Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
> ratio?

As far as I know 4 is correct for all Pocket PC, but it seems that it is not
documented yet

Quote:
>  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.

ratio is 4 for it

Quote:
> Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
> calls?

As far as I know there is no standard API to get it

--
Yaroslav Goncharov
SmartPhone Developer Network

Quote:
> I am using GetMouseMovePoints to track the WM_MOUSEMOVE event.  I read
> that the API call returns points in touch panel resolution, not screen
> resolution and that generally it is 4 times the screen.

> Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
> ratio?  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.

> Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
> calls?  I don't think so, but thought I'd check.

> Thanks.

> Gene Chang

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:25:21 GMT
 Touch Panel resolution for GetMouseMovePoints
I did notice in the Programming Microsoft Windows CE book it mentions
that.  When I look at the points the function returns, it doesn't seem
to be 4 times the regular coordinate.

Gene

Quote:

> Hi

> > Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
> > ratio?
> As far as I know 4 is correct for all Pocket PC, but it seems that it is not
> documented yet

> >  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.
> ratio is 4 for it

> > Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
> > calls?
> As far as I know there is no standard API to get it

> --
> Yaroslav Goncharov
> SmartPhone Developer Network
> www.smartphonedn.com

> > I am using GetMouseMovePoints to track the WM_MOUSEMOVE event.  I read
> > that the API call returns points in touch panel resolution, not screen
> > resolution and that generally it is 4 times the screen.

> > Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
> > ratio?  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.

> > Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
> > calls?  I don't think so, but thought I'd check.

> > Thanks.

> > Gene Chang

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 03:09:35 GMT
 Touch Panel resolution for GetMouseMovePoints
The calibration information from the touch panel can be found in the
registry at HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH\CalibrationData.  The data is in
(xVal, yVal) pairs at the touch panel resolution.

My Jornada 525 currently has this value set to "517,526 258,254 242,800
789,800 789,257".

For comparison, I took a screenshot of each step of the calibration process
('Align Screen')
with the Remote Display Control (from
http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/powertoys.asp).

The first cross-hair is at (120,160)-(121,161), the second position
(48,64)-(49,65), the third (48,256)-(49,257), the fourth (192,256)-(193,257)
and the fifth (192,64)-(193,65).

(the bars of the cross-hair are two pixels wide, which is why I'm quoting a
2x2 area for each)

You can probably work out the scale values and offsets from here.  Be
warned - some devices may have a touch panel that returns the y value first,
or is upside down, or has a different orientation.  For example, I
discovered a registry entry on the Symbol PDT 8100 that sets the screen
orientation to landscape.  Once the screen is recalibrated, it works fine
(except that you can't see the bottom third of the screen...)

--
Mike Dimmick

Quote:
> I did notice in the Programming Microsoft Windows CE book it mentions
> that.  When I look at the points the function returns, it doesn't seem
> to be 4 times the regular coordinate.

> Gene

> > Hi

> > > Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
> > > ratio?
> > As far as I know 4 is correct for all Pocket PC, but it seems that it is
not
> > documented yet

> > >  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.
> > ratio is 4 for it

> > > Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
> > > calls?
> > As far as I know there is no standard API to get it

> > --
> > Yaroslav Goncharov
> > SmartPhone Developer Network
> > www.smartphonedn.com

> > > I am using GetMouseMovePoints to track the WM_MOUSEMOVE event.  I read
> > > that the API call returns points in touch panel resolution, not screen
> > > resolution and that generally it is 4 times the screen.

> > > Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
> > > ratio?  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.

> > > Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
> > > calls?  I don't think so, but thought I'd check.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Gene Chang

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:12:22 GMT
 Touch Panel resolution for GetMouseMovePoints
If you look at TouchPanelCalibrateAPoint() in
public\common\oak\drivers\tch_cal\calibrat.c you will see that it multiplies
X and Y by 4 to improve accuracy in inking.  Internally to GWES, the point
data is divided down by 4 to get screen coordinates (for cursor location).
The value 4 is effectively hardcoded into GWES, but OEMs can still change
the touch panel to screen resolution by customizing calibrat.c.  For
instance, some touch panels may already have sub-pixel accuracy and don't
need to be multiplied.

Hope this helps,

Andrew Pearson

--
To reply directly, remove _online from my email address.

> I am using GetMouseMovePoints to track the WM_MOUSEMOVE event.  I read
> that the API call returns points in touch panel resolution, not screen
> resolution and that generally it is 4 times the screen.

> Does anyone know if there is a standard touch panel/screen resolution
> ratio?  I'm using the HP Jornada 568.

> Also, is there a way to get the touch panel resolution through API
> calls?  I don't think so, but thought I'd check.

> Thanks.

> Gene Chang

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:43:43 GMT

1. GetMouseMovePoints()

2. Accessing control panel applications without accessing control panel

3. Image resolution versus Screen resolution

4. C# Focus Issues - Touch Screen - User Controls - Button Control - TextBox

5. Touch.TouchFilesClass is inaccessible due to its protection level

6. "Touching" code sections

7. More one-touch musings

8. how to touch a file in C?

9. Touching a file (set to current time and date)

10. Does failed fget touch arg1?

11. make and touch sources ??

12. Q: Touch screen help needed.