Using IrDA port on HP Jornada
Author Message
 Using IrDA port on HP Jornada

Hi everybody.

I'm currently trying to use the IrDA port on a Jornada 565 to perform
basic serial communications.
I can't use IrCOMM because I have to develop a proprietary protocol to
a custom microcontroller using an IR receiver.

I have been looking over MSDN and Google for information about using the
IrDA as a serial port but could't find any good examples.

The only method seems to be the system function

::EscapeCommFunction(_Handle_to_com_port, SETIR);

to select the IrDA port rather than the COM port.

Unfortunately this call fails (without giving any other indication).

Is there any other method?
Is this a problem of WindowsCE?
Or maybe the EscapeCommFunction is not supported on the Jornada?
Is there any other PDA where this fuction works correctly?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

- Milena

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:42:45 GMT
 Using IrDA port on HP Jornada

Quote:
>Hi everybody.

>I'm currently trying to use the IrDA port on a Jornada 565 to perform
>basic serial communications.
>I can't use IrCOMM because I have to develop a proprietary protocol to
>a custom microcontroller using an IR receiver.

>I have been looking over MSDN and Google for information about using the
>IrDA as a serial port but could't find any good examples.

>The only method seems to be the system function

>::EscapeCommFunction(_Handle_to_com_port, SETIR);

>to select the IrDA port rather than the COM port.

>Unfortunately this call fails (without giving any other indication).

>Is there any other method?
>Is this a problem of WindowsCE?
>Or maybe the EscapeCommFunction is not supported on the Jornada?
>Is there any other PDA where this fuction works correctly?

>Any help will be greatly appreciated.

>Many thanks

>- Milena

Look at the TTY example in your Windows CE Tools samples folder.
Try Createfile, writefile, readfile,  and use the right PORT for your
device, usually port 3.

--
Helge S

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:39:09 GMT
 Using IrDA port on HP Jornada
If you are pocketpc2002 you need to make sure to disable
settings->connections->beam->receive else the irda com
port will not be available (this with com2 on my ipaq)

Quote:

> >Hi everybody.

> >I'm currently trying to use the IrDA port on a Jornada 565 to perform
> >basic serial communications.
> >I can't use IrCOMM because I have to develop a proprietary protocol to
> >a custom microcontroller using an IR receiver.

> >I have been looking over MSDN and Google for information about using the
> >IrDA as a serial port but could't find any good examples.

> >The only method seems to be the system function

> >::EscapeCommFunction(_Handle_to_com_port, SETIR);

> >to select the IrDA port rather than the COM port.

> >Unfortunately this call fails (without giving any other indication).

> >Is there any other method?
> >Is this a problem of WindowsCE?
> >Or maybe the EscapeCommFunction is not supported on the Jornada?
> >Is there any other PDA where this fuction works correctly?

> >Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> >Many thanks

> >- Milena
> Look at the TTY example in your Windows CE Tools samples folder.
> Try Createfile, writefile, readfile,  and use the right PORT for your
> device, usually port 3.

> --
> Helge S

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:48:38 GMT

1. XML on HP Jornada 720

2. Processor in HP Jornada

3. BUG: HP Jornada 548 & RasSetEntryProperties

4. Keyboard driver for HP Jornada 720

5. Probleme avec un HP Jornada 710

6. IRDA port

7. Printing RAW text through IRDA port

8. Irda port EVC

9. porting to HP/UX from VAX

10. HP porting

11. Migration from HP Cfront compiler to HP aCC compiler

12. compile listing with HP CC and/or HP cc