XScale / Cotulla / ARM V5 Thumb- / DSP-instructions supported ?
Author Message
 XScale / Cotulla / ARM V5 Thumb- / DSP-instructions supported ?

Hi

The ARMV4I and ARMV4T processors are listed in platform builder for Windows
CE.net.
Concerning support of the XScale architecture of Windows CE.net, I have some
questions to clearify the situation about it.

1.) ARM V5 / XsCale / Cotulla
Are the ARM V5 I and ARM V5 Thumb meant by the 'ARMV4I' and 'ARMV4T'
selection in platform builder .net ?
Is the numbering as processor version '4' just a typing error in platform
builder selection or what is the difference between ARMV4 and ARMV5 ?

2.) Embedded Visual C++
Will the Embedded Visual C++ compiler make use of the Thumb- and
DSP-instructions of ARM V5 ?

3.) Embedded Visual C++ Inline-Assembler
Does the inline assembler of the Embedded Visual C++ know about the Thumb-
and DSP-instuctions of ARM V5 ? Is it possible to use these instructions
with the inline assembler ?

Thanks for any hints
Juergen

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 19:25:52 GMT
 XScale / Cotulla / ARM V5 Thumb- / DSP-instructions supported ?
ARMV4T and V4I are as they say - ARM version 4 with Thumb and Interworking
support, respectively.  The ARM v5 specification adds additional features
which the shipping libraries don't take advantage of.  You can optimize your
code for the XScale architecture - see the /QRxscale and /QRxscalesched
options to the ARM compiler.

I can't speak to your other Embedded Visual C++ questions.

Jeff

reserved.

Quote:
> Hi

> The ARMV4I and ARMV4T processors are listed in platform builder for
Windows
> CE.net.
> Concerning support of the XScale architecture of Windows CE.net, I have
some
> questions to clearify the situation about it.

> 1.) ARM V5 / XsCale / Cotulla
> Are the ARM V5 I and ARM V5 Thumb meant by the 'ARMV4I' and 'ARMV4T'
> selection in platform builder .net ?
> Is the numbering as processor version '4' just a typing error in platform
> builder selection or what is the difference between ARMV4 and ARMV5 ?

> 2.) Embedded Visual C++
> Will the Embedded Visual C++ compiler make use of the Thumb- and
> DSP-instructions of ARM V5 ?

> 3.) Embedded Visual C++ Inline-Assembler
> Does the inline assembler of the Embedded Visual C++ know about the Thumb-
> and DSP-instuctions of ARM V5 ? Is it possible to use these instructions
> with the inline assembler ?

> Thanks for any hints
> Juergen

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 02:49:16 GMT
 XScale / Cotulla / ARM V5 Thumb- / DSP-instructions supported ?
1) There is a difference between ARMV4 and ARMV5.  If you don't know the
difference, ARM would be a good place to start.  Not sure why you would
think it was a typo.  Maybe you were hoping it was a typo? :-)

2) Thumb - yes.  DSP - yes, through intrinsic functions.

3) The ARM compiler doesn't support inline-assembly.  We ship a standalone
assembler though.

----------------
Rod Rushing
Microsoft
Windows CE Developer Support

----------------

Quote:
> Hi

> The ARMV4I and ARMV4T processors are listed in platform builder for
Windows
> CE.net.
> Concerning support of the XScale architecture of Windows CE.net, I have
some
> questions to clearify the situation about it.

> 1.) ARM V5 / XsCale / Cotulla
> Are the ARM V5 I and ARM V5 Thumb meant by the 'ARMV4I' and 'ARMV4T'
> selection in platform builder .net ?
> Is the numbering as processor version '4' just a typing error in platform
> builder selection or what is the difference between ARMV4 and ARMV5 ?

> 2.) Embedded Visual C++
> Will the Embedded Visual C++ compiler make use of the Thumb- and
> DSP-instructions of ARM V5 ?

> 3.) Embedded Visual C++ Inline-Assembler
> Does the inline assembler of the Embedded Visual C++ know about the Thumb-
> and DSP-instuctions of ARM V5 ? Is it possible to use these instructions
> with the inline assembler ?

> Thanks for any hints
> Juergen

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:49:49 GMT
 XScale / Cotulla / ARM V5 Thumb- / DSP-instructions supported ?
I should qualify my last post.  Currently, the compilers are viewed as an OS
component, so each version of the OS has a unique set of compilers.
eMbedded Visual Tools simply packages the compilers that are provided for
that particular processor being target.  So generally speaking, if the
Platform Builder compilers do it, then the eMbedded Visual C++ compilers do
it.

Quote:
> 1) There is a difference between ARMV4 and ARMV5.  If you don't know the
> difference, ARM would be a good place to start.  Not sure why you would
> think it was a typo.  Maybe you were hoping it was a typo? :-)

> 2) Thumb - yes.  DSP - yes, through intrinsic functions.

> 3) The ARM compiler doesn't support inline-assembly.  We ship a standalone
> assembler though.

> ----------------
> Rod Rushing
> Microsoft
> Windows CE Developer Support

rights.
> ----------------

> > Hi

> > The ARMV4I and ARMV4T processors are listed in platform builder for
> Windows
> > CE.net.
> > Concerning support of the XScale architecture of Windows CE.net, I have
> some
> > questions to clearify the situation about it.

> > 1.) ARM V5 / XsCale / Cotulla
> > Are the ARM V5 I and ARM V5 Thumb meant by the 'ARMV4I' and 'ARMV4T'
> > selection in platform builder .net ?
> > Is the numbering as processor version '4' just a typing error in
platform
> > builder selection or what is the difference between ARMV4 and ARMV5 ?

> > 2.) Embedded Visual C++
> > Will the Embedded Visual C++ compiler make use of the Thumb- and
> > DSP-instructions of ARM V5 ?

> > 3.) Embedded Visual C++ Inline-Assembler
> > Does the inline assembler of the Embedded Visual C++ know about the
Thumb-
> > and DSP-instuctions of ARM V5 ? Is it possible to use these instructions
> > with the inline assembler ?

> > Thanks for any hints
> > Juergen

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:56:31 GMT

1. ARM vs. THUMB Question

2. 206 Mhz Strong ARM vx. 300 Mhz Xscale

3. How to compile Arm assembler instruction

4. MS compiler support for XScale processor for PocketPC 2002

5. Support XScale PXA250

6. XScale processor support on eVC?

7. Help!: CPU does not support SH3/ARM processor

8. No support for ARM in ActiveSync SDK ?

9. does Cyrix 686 support undocumented profiling instructions

10. Dose VC++ 5.0 inline assembler support CPUID instruction?

11. Rules of thumb for precompiled headers?

12. Rule of thumb: Lines of code per day