ipaq does not support 8-bit Common Memory for PCMCIA Card
Author Message
 ipaq does not support 8-bit Common Memory for PCMCIA Card

Hi
Does anybody know whether WinCe3.0 or ipaq supports 8-bit
commom memory for PCMCIA Card? It seem do not support it
after wincE2.11.So I want to know wherther WinCE3.0
supports it.
Another question about MS Document,it always tell us
unclear. you will reads the following sentences .
"Note   This API is part of the complete Windows CE OS
package as provided by Microsoft. The functionality of a
particular platform is determined by the original
equipment manufacturer (OEM) and some devices may not
support this API."
You must try API then  know whether it support. But,we
know  ,it is difficult to get above info from OEM.I think
MS should do more work to tell programmer clearly about
it.At least it tell us which major OEM supports it or
force OEM  do it. I get rid of such "blackbox and guess"
development pattern
Best regards
Ken

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:29:58 GMT
 ipaq does not support 8-bit Common Memory for PCMCIA Card
It's not a WINCE issue it's a dvice OEM issue and it's up to them to
document their devices. the more complete the documentation the more people
will come up with cool new extensions for the device. The iPAQ does support
8bit devices in I/O mode. I've never tried the 8bit COMMON memory interface
on a card.

If you look above that particular message you will see a list of platforms
that it is supportred on in almost all cases. (There are a few where the
table of platforms is missing. If you find them you should send a note to MS
so it's corrected in future versions of the documentation.) Ever SDK should
contain special help file support to add itself into the appropriate tables
for APIs it supports. This is actually a REALLY nice feature of the system
that works quite well for most of the system APIs.  There are unfortunately
a few of the APIs that don't have that functionality in the base
documentation.

Quote:
> Hi
> Does anybody know whether WinCe3.0 or ipaq supports 8-bit
> commom memory for PCMCIA Card? It seem do not support it
> after wincE2.11.So I want to know wherther WinCE3.0
> supports it.
> Another question about MS Document,it always tell us
> unclear. you will reads the following sentences .
> "Note   This API is part of the complete Windows CE OS
> package as provided by Microsoft. The functionality of a
> particular platform is determined by the original
> equipment manufacturer (OEM) and some devices may not
> support this API."
> You must try API then  know whether it support. But,we
> know  ,it is difficult to get above info from OEM.I think
> MS should do more work to tell programmer clearly about
> it.At least it tell us which major OEM supports it or
> force OEM  do it. I get rid of such "blackbox and guess"
> development pattern
> Best regards
> Ken

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 04:29:01 GMT
 ipaq does not support 8-bit Common Memory for PCMCIA Card
Hi Steve
From compaq supporter tell me "The PCMCIA jacket for the
iPaq  supports 16bit low powered (3.3v) cards only. It
does not support CardBus".Although it just means
hardware,I really find it do not support 8bit map PCMCIA
to System Memory both common and attribut memory .
Acording to MS document if i do the following step it
should be map 8-bits attribute mem
1.set up Window
attributeCommonWindowParameters.fAttributes  =
WIN_ATTR_ATTRIBUTE |WIN_ATTR_ENABLED;(only
WIN_ATTR_ENABLED if mapping common memory )
2. call CardRequestWindow get client handle
3. then call CardmapWindow to obtain system memory.I dump
memory . please see the following result
01 FF 04 FF 6F FF 23 FF 2A FF FF FF 17 FF 04 FF
6F FF 23 FF 09 FF FF FF 15 FF 36 FF 04 FF 01 FF
32 FF 4D FF 42 FF 46 FF 48 FF 53 FF 53 FF 00 FF
50 FF 43 FF 20 FF 43 FF 61 FF 72 FF 64 FF 20 FF
57 FF 4C FF 41 FF 4E FF 20 FF 41 FF 64 FF 61 FF
70 FF 74 FF 65 FF 72 FF 00 FF 56 FF 65 FF 72 FF
73 FF 69 FF 6F FF 6E FF 20 FF 35 FF 2E FF 36 FF
35 FF 20 FF 41 FF 70 FF 72 FF 20 FF 32 FF 30 FF
30 FF 30 FF 00 FF FF FF 1A FF 05 FF 01 FF 01 FF
00 FF 0F FF 0B FF 1B FF 11 FF C1 FF 81 FF 71 FF
77 FF 55 FF C5 FF 4B FF D5 FF 19 FF 3E FF 56 FF
06 FF 30 FF B8 FF FF FF 08 FF C0 FF 21 FF 02 FF
06 FF 00 FF 22 FF 02 FF 01 FF 07 FF 22 FF 05 FF
02 FF 80 FF 84 FF 1E FF 00 FF 22 FF 02 FF 03 FF
07 FF 20 FF 04 FF A6 FF 01 FF 00 FF 00 FF 14 FF
00 FF 13 FF 03 FF 43 FF 49 FF 53 FF FF FF 7F FF
But it is wrong . it should be
01 00 04 00 6F 00 23 00 2A 00 FF 00 17 00 04 00
But I can get correct result at MIPS process and
windowsCE2.12. Could you tell me how to use 8bit device
(PCMCIA card) in IO mode.?
About the second question ,I think MS still thought
WinCE's doc is Windows(such as Win95,Win2k).Actully it is
great difference from  old Win.
1. differnet CPU
2. different OS(MSWinCE)
3. different implement(OEM)
But Ms use the old way to write doc and add  "(OEM) and
some devices may not support this API". It almost appears
every API.
" to support or not to support ,it's a question"

Best Regards
Ken

Quote:

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 06:19:33 GMT
 ipaq does not support 8-bit Common Memory for PCMCIA Card

Ken,

The attribute dump is correct. Per the PCMCIA spec, the odd bytes in attrib
space are undefined,
so whatever your read from there, must be ignored.

But I could not get 8-bit common memory working, too.
Had tried several tricks that helped on other platforms (using
READ_REGISTER_BUFFER_xxx instead of memcpy ...).

And from my humble experience with Cpq support, they're not very competent,
though may try hard to help.

Please let me know when you get more news on this issue.

Regards,
--PA

Quote:
> Hi
> Does anybody know whether WinCe3.0 or ipaq supports 8-bit
> commom memory for PCMCIA Card? It seem do not support it
> after wincE2.11.So I want to know wherther WinCE3.0
> supports it.
> Another question about MS Document,it always tell us
> unclear. you will reads the following sentences .
> "Note   This API is part of the complete Windows CE OS
> package as provided by Microsoft. The functionality of a
> particular platform is determined by the original
> equipment manufacturer (OEM) and some devices may not
> support this API."
> You must try API then  know whether it support. But,we
> know  ,it is difficult to get above info from OEM.I think
> MS should do more work to tell programmer clearly about
> it.At least it tell us which major OEM supports it or
> force OEM  do it. I get rid of such "blackbox and guess"
> development pattern
> Best regards
> Ken

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:15:58 GMT

1. PCMCIA flash card (FAT16) formatted on Win2000 platform not recognized by bootloader

2. Execute program from the storage card (PCMCIA card)

3. DOS, PCMCIA and Sound Cards

4. Using C to access PCMCIA cards

5. PCMCIA flash card reader

6. PCMCIA comm card on IPAC

7. IRQ and I/O addrs. from PCMCIA card

8. help~~sos~~~how to detect pcmcia card?

9. What COM port is my PCMCIA card using?

10. help~~sos~~~how to detect pcmcia card?

11. Q : PCMCIA FLASH Card problem.

12. IE aborts download of a file on PCMCIA card insertion