Debugging Erratic in eVC++ 3.0
Author Message
 Debugging Erratic in eVC++ 3.0

Can anyone help me out with a debugging problem? I trying
to debug an application running on a NEC MobilePro 790
(HPC2000).

I am trying to debug using an ethernet connection but am
having problems stepping in the de{*filter*}. I press F10 to
step-next and the position indicator sometimes moves
backwards a number of lines, sometimes skips lines, and in
general, sometimes bounces back and forth between lines as
I step.

Also, the var values displayed are not correct and I've
had to use message boxes to display the real var values.

Has anyone seen this, and what do I need to do to correct
it?

Thanks. D. Arnold

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:35:04 GMT
 Debugging Erratic in eVC++ 3.0
Good morning Doug,

I have had similar problems debugging both CE and Windows apps.  I vaguely
recall that doing a COMPLETE build of my project (then of course, reloading
the project onto the device) cleared up my problems.

You, of course, have probably done this already.

Susan

Quote:
> Can anyone help me out with a debugging problem? I trying
> to debug an application running on a NEC MobilePro 790
> (HPC2000).

> I am trying to debug using an ethernet connection but am
> having problems stepping in the de{*filter*}. I press F10 to
> step-next and the position indicator sometimes moves
> backwards a number of lines, sometimes skips lines, and in
> general, sometimes bounces back and forth between lines as
> I step.

> Also, the var values displayed are not correct and I've
> had to use message boxes to display the real var values.

> Has anyone seen this, and what do I need to do to correct
> it?

> Thanks. D. Arnold

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:09:41 GMT
 Debugging Erratic in eVC++ 3.0
Sounds like you are trying to debug retail code. In retail code the vars are
often stored in registers, and the registers are re-used for other vars.
This will cause the de{*filter*} to display the incorrect value. In addition the
assembly code is optimized. The will cause the behavior you are seeing where
the de{*filter*} jumps around. Typically in optimized code the same underlying
assembly code is used for more than one source line, in some cases there is
no underlying assembly code for the source code because it has been
optimized away.

You can either re-compile your app as debug, or switch to disassembly to get
a better idea of what is happening.

--
Mark Larsen
--------------------

> Can anyone help me out with a debugging problem? I trying
> to debug an application running on a NEC MobilePro 790
> (HPC2000).

> I am trying to debug using an ethernet connection but am
> having problems stepping in the de{*filter*}. I press F10 to
> step-next and the position indicator sometimes moves
> backwards a number of lines, sometimes skips lines, and in
> general, sometimes bounces back and forth between lines as
> I step.

> Also, the var values displayed are not correct and I've
> had to use message boxes to display the real var values.

> Has anyone seen this, and what do I need to do to correct
> it?

> Thanks. D. Arnold

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:14:18 GMT
 Debugging Erratic in eVC++ 3.0
Thank you Mark.

That was going to be my next suggestion, that Doug check to make sure he
hasn't 'accidentally' modified source code. (Sounds like I've done this).
But you were able to explain in better detail why it happens.

Susan

Quote:
> Sounds like you are trying to debug retail code. In retail code the vars
are
> often stored in registers, and the registers are re-used for other vars.
> This will cause the de{*filter*} to display the incorrect value. In addition
the
> assembly code is optimized. The will cause the behavior you are seeing
where
> the de{*filter*} jumps around. Typically in optimized code the same underlying
> assembly code is used for more than one source line, in some cases there
is
> no underlying assembly code for the source code because it has been
> optimized away.

> You can either re-compile your app as debug, or switch to disassembly to
get
> a better idea of what is happening.

> --
> Mark Larsen
> --------------------
rights.

> > Can anyone help me out with a debugging problem? I trying
> > to debug an application running on a NEC MobilePro 790
> > (HPC2000).

> > I am trying to debug using an ethernet connection but am
> > having problems stepping in the de{*filter*}. I press F10 to
> > step-next and the position indicator sometimes moves
> > backwards a number of lines, sometimes skips lines, and in
> > general, sometimes bounces back and forth between lines as
> > I step.

> > Also, the var values displayed are not correct and I've
> > had to use message boxes to display the real var values.

> > Has anyone seen this, and what do I need to do to correct
> > it?

> > Thanks. D. Arnold

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:38:49 GMT
 Debugging Erratic in eVC++ 3.0
Thanks Mark. I turned off the optimizations and things are
now a lot better.

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 05:03:52 GMT

1. Debugging is erratic in evC++ 3.0

2. eVC++ 3.0: debugging DLL

3. PPC 2002, WinCE 3.0, eVC++ 3.0, loading images in HTML viewer control

4. eVC++ 3.0 and eVC++ 4.0

5. Problems with debugging EVC 3.0, and VC 6.0

6. compatibility eVC++ 3.0 and eVC++4.0?

7. evc 3.0 & adoce 3.0

8. eVC 4.0 vs. eVC 3.0 - platform compatibility

9. Static eVC 3.0 library compatible with eVC 4.0?

10. Using EVC 4.0 linker/compiler BIN with EVC 3.0

11. Running eVC++ 3.0 apps on a WIndows CE 4.1 device

12. eVC++ 3.0 and MFC