CE app connecting to SQL Server 2000 on 802.11
Author Message
 CE app connecting to SQL Server 2000 on 802.11

Hi,
Im pretty new to winCE and in the process of writing an
app which is going to talk to SQL Server 2000 sitting on a
W2K machine over Wireless(802.11b).

Is it possible at all ? If Yes, do I need to have SQL
Server CE installed on the device ?

Are there any issues/should be aware of things/links
towards it ?

TIA,
Bob

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:04:30 GMT
 CE app connecting to SQL Server 2000 on 802.11
I am too trying to figure this out.  If you come across
the answer please let me know and I will do the same.

Quote:

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:06:29 GMT
 CE app connecting to SQL Server 2000 on 802.11
Hi Bob,

Yes, it is possible to connect over 802.11b, as long as you have the network
drivers for your card
installed on your device and have TCP/IP going
(use a tool called vxUtil - http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html to test your
network connectivity).

Depending on what you want to do, may want to install SQLServer CE or not.
In most cases you need
to store some data on the device, so it would be good to have SQLServer CE
installed.
Then you can synchronize tables between SQLServer2000 and SQLServer CE
rather easily and also
execute commands on the SQL Server 2000 machine (Look at the
SSCE.RemoteDataAccess.2.0 object).

However, you can also use tools like PocketSOAP (www.pocketsoap.com) or
ViaDB and ViaXML (www.odysseysoftware.com)
to get to your data using a web service approach and then store the data on
the device in a CDB (PocketAccess) file
without having to install SQLServer CE.
I recently made the switch from PocketAccess to SQLServer CE and it is
definitely worth it, you get much more
functionality, more comprehensive SQL support and indexing, and speed.

Look at www.devbuzz.com for a number of great articles on this topic.

HTH,
Michael

Quote:
> Hi,
> Im pretty new to winCE and in the process of writing an
> app which is going to talk to SQL Server 2000 sitting on a
> W2K machine over Wireless(802.11b).

> Is it possible at all ? If Yes, do I need to have SQL
> Server CE installed on the device ?

> Are there any issues/should be aware of things/links
> towards it ?

> TIA,
> Bob

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 05:44:09 GMT

1. SQL Server 2000 CE Replication Problem

2. Connecting To SQL Server CE 1.1

3. Ho to connect VBA to SQL Server 2000

4. VB.Net and connecting to Sql Server 2000

5. Connecting to sql server 2000????

6. Help Connecting to SQL Server 2000 w/ VB.NET

7. Connecting to SQL Server 2000 database

8. how to connect to sql server 2000

9. Invalid Page Fault when connect to SQL Server 2000

10. Memory Full While Trying to Connect To SQL Server 2000 Stored Proc With OLEDB

11. Can ADO Connect to SQL Server and ACCESS 2000

12. Connecting SQL Server 2000 ???