Synchronizing .cdb on Pocket PC to .mdb on Desktop PC
Author Message
 Synchronizing .cdb on Pocket PC to .mdb on Desktop PC

I have taken a .mdb and converted in into a .cdb on my Pocket PC and
followed the directions in the "Import from Database to Mobile Device"
dialog box including "Keep tables synchronized". On the Pocket PC, I use a
eVB app to access and add data to the .cdb using ADOCE. All works fairly
good except my .mdb is not being updated when I use ActiveSync to
synchronize the two databases. I have also converted the .cdb back as a .mdb
and opened the file. The added records are there, but my primary key which
is set to autonumber in my original .mdb has been changed to number and no
values are being added to that column.

I am thinking maybe I need to have Pocket Access installed on my Pocket PC
before I can correctly use the .cdb and have in synchronize to the .mdb. I
have noticed in both manuals that I have, pictures of the Microsoft
ActiveSync dialog box and show "Pocket Access - Synchronized" in the list on
the bottom. When I look at my list under Options on my Desktop PC, it shows
"Pocket Access - Not Installed". I also know Pocket Access is not installed
on my Pocket PC so this is nothing new.

Any help in getting my primary key to fill in automatically and my .cdb to
sync back to my .mdb would be great!

Thanks.

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 06:37:31 GMT
 Synchronizing .cdb on Pocket PC to .mdb on Desktop PC
Ron,

I am currently learning this myself (2 days into this)...

1.  There is not such thing as a autonumber field in Pocket Access so you
will need to programmatically implement the AutoNumber feature.
2.  To get tables to synchronize automatically you need to create a one
column primary key for each table.  If you have multi-column primary keys
then the system will not support automatic synchronization.  Likewise, if
your table does not have a primary key it will not synch up automatically.

Hope this helps
Rob Baird

Quote:
> I have taken a .mdb and converted in into a .cdb on my Pocket PC and
> followed the directions in the "Import from Database to Mobile Device"
> dialog box including "Keep tables synchronized". On the Pocket PC, I use a
> eVB app to access and add data to the .cdb using ADOCE. All works fairly
> good except my .mdb is not being updated when I use ActiveSync to
> synchronize the two databases. I have also converted the .cdb back as a
.mdb
> and opened the file. The added records are there, but my primary key which
> is set to autonumber in my original .mdb has been changed to number and no
> values are being added to that column.

> I am thinking maybe I need to have Pocket Access installed on my Pocket PC
> before I can correctly use the .cdb and have in synchronize to the .mdb. I
> have noticed in both manuals that I have, pictures of the Microsoft
> ActiveSync dialog box and show "Pocket Access - Synchronized" in the list
on
> the bottom. When I look at my list under Options on my Desktop PC, it
shows
> "Pocket Access - Not Installed". I also know Pocket Access is not
installed
> on my Pocket PC so this is nothing new.

> Any help in getting my primary key to fill in automatically and my .cdb to
> sync back to my .mdb would be great!

> Thanks.

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:35:29 GMT
 Synchronizing .cdb on Pocket PC to .mdb on Desktop PC
Thanks, I got my primary key working manually now on the Pocket PC.

Yes, I have one primary key field assigned to each of my 3 tables in the
.mdb file they are still autonumber data type. On my .cdb file they are
number (long) and I am manually finding the last number and adding 1 to it.
Pretty easy. Will I also need to change my primary keys to number (long) on
my .mdb or can I leave them as autonumber.

My synchronizing is still not working. Do I have to have my .mdb in a
special folder on my desktop computer?

Here is the location of each of the files:

On Pocket PC:
\My Documents\database.cdb

On Desktop PC:
C:\Documents and Setting\ron\My Documents\Pocket PC\database.mdb
ActiveSync also added these tables to my .mdb file
MsysCeConflicts
MSysCeCtblBusiness
MSysCeCtblTrip
MSysCeCtblVehicle

I have located other files on my desktop pc which I did not create but
reference this database sync process:
C:\Documents and Setting\ron\Applications
Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\Compaqpc\database CE sync.mdb,
C:\Documents and Setting\ron\Applications
Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\Compaqpc\rept.dat,
C:\Documents and Setting\ron\Applications
Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\Compaqpc\db2ce.txt

It appears I have everything set up right, yet when I add a record into the
.cdb on the Pocket PC, click Sync on Active Sync and then open my .mdb the
record I just added is not there.

Any ideas?

Quote:
> Ron,

> I am currently learning this myself (2 days into this)...

> 1.  There is not such thing as a autonumber field in Pocket Access so you
> will need to programmatically implement the AutoNumber feature.
> 2.  To get tables to synchronize automatically you need to create a one
> column primary key for each table.  If you have multi-column primary keys
> then the system will not support automatic synchronization.  Likewise, if
> your table does not have a primary key it will not synch up automatically.

> Hope this helps
> Rob Baird

> > I have taken a .mdb and converted in into a .cdb on my Pocket PC and
> > followed the directions in the "Import from Database to Mobile Device"
> > dialog box including "Keep tables synchronized". On the Pocket PC, I use
> > eVB app to access and add data to the .cdb using ADOCE. All works fairly
> > good except my .mdb is not being updated when I use ActiveSync to
> > synchronize the two databases. I have also converted the .cdb back as a
> .mdb
> > and opened the file. The added records are there, but my primary key
which
> > is set to autonumber in my original .mdb has been changed to number and
no
> > values are being added to that column.

> > I am thinking maybe I need to have Pocket Access installed on my Pocket
PC
> > before I can correctly use the .cdb and have in synchronize to the .mdb.
> > have noticed in both manuals that I have, pictures of the Microsoft
> > ActiveSync dialog box and show "Pocket Access - Synchronized" in the
list
> on
> > the bottom. When I look at my list under Options on my Desktop PC, it
> shows
> > "Pocket Access - Not Installed". I also know Pocket Access is not
> installed
> > on my Pocket PC so this is nothing new.

> > Any help in getting my primary key to fill in automatically and my .cdb
> > sync back to my .mdb would be great!

> > Thanks.

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:44:51 GMT

1. database from pocket pc to desktop pc

2. pocket pc transfer file to another pocket pc

3. Newbie : Pocket PC/Handheld PC/Palm PC

4. Exporting CDB to XML on Pocket PC

5. CDB on Pocket PC

6. Convert MDB to CDB to path on PC

7. Difference between PalmSize PC et Pocket PC

8. Diff between Pocket PC OS / Handled PC OS/ Embedded NT OS

9. How to connect PC by Pocket PC

10. Transfer files from PC to pocket pc

11. Invoking a desktop application from Pocket PC

12. How To Connect from a POCKET PC to a SQL SERVER on a DESKTOP