Erratic behaviour of some OCX controls
Author Message
 Erratic behaviour of some OCX controls

I'm developing an eVB application for Pocket PC that has
42 forms and 6 modules.  Many of these screen have Tab
controls on them and one of them has this EasyInk control
from Odessey Software.

The .vb file is around 1.3 MB in size and runs on a device
that has 49.6 MB RAM.  At the point of running the
application the amount of free program memory is around 20
MB.

These controls are registered properly on the device and
work fine.  But after opening a few screens and hiding
them, I randomly get a "Could not create "XXX" control".
This message is the same as that would appear if the
control was not registered.  If we do a soft boot and
reopen the application the same screen which gave the
error works fine. Let me tell you that of all the controls
only the Tab control and the EasyInk control give this
error.

One additional Input is that when I checked the free
memory at this point, it was pretty low, around 1 to 2 MB
free.

What I would like to know is if this is a known issue and
is there a fix for this or we just live and suffer such a
problem.

Or is there a way I can programatically reduce the Storage
memory and use it for the Program memory?

Please help me as this issue is holding up an important
project.

Thanks in Advance & Regards
Arun Prabhu
Patni Computer Systems Limited
Visit us at http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:18:07 GMT
 Erratic behaviour of some OCX controls
Sounds like a memory issue, which doesn't surprise me with 42 Forms.  I've
not even written enterprise desktop apps with that many Forms.  Is there any
way to change the design to reuse some of them?

-Chris

Quote:
> I'm developing an eVB application for Pocket PC that has
> 42 forms and 6 modules.  Many of these screen have Tab
> controls on them and one of them has this EasyInk control
> from Odessey Software.

> The .vb file is around 1.3 MB in size and runs on a device
> that has 49.6 MB RAM.  At the point of running the
> application the amount of free program memory is around 20
> MB.

> These controls are registered properly on the device and
> work fine.  But after opening a few screens and hiding
> them, I randomly get a "Could not create "XXX" control".
> This message is the same as that would appear if the
> control was not registered.  If we do a soft boot and
> reopen the application the same screen which gave the
> error works fine. Let me tell you that of all the controls
> only the Tab control and the EasyInk control give this
> error.

> One additional Input is that when I checked the free
> memory at this point, it was pretty low, around 1 to 2 MB
> free.

> What I would like to know is if this is a known issue and
> is there a fix for this or we just live and suffer such a
> problem.

> Or is there a way I can programatically reduce the Storage
> memory and use it for the Program memory?

> Please help me as this issue is holding up an important
> project.

> Thanks in Advance & Regards
> Arun Prabhu
> Patni Computer Systems Limited
> Visit us at http://www.patni.com

Thu, 26 Aug 2004 02:17:08 GMT
 Erratic behaviour of some OCX controls
I only use a couple of Forms and make extensive use of Frames
(hiding/unhiding as required).

Joe

Quote:
> I'm developing an eVB application for Pocket PC that has
> 42 forms and 6 modules.  Many of these screen have Tab
> controls on them and one of them has this EasyInk control
> from Odessey Software.

> The .vb file is around 1.3 MB in size and runs on a device
> that has 49.6 MB RAM.  At the point of running the
> application the amount of free program memory is around 20
> MB.

> These controls are registered properly on the device and
> work fine.  But after opening a few screens and hiding
> them, I randomly get a "Could not create "XXX" control".
> This message is the same as that would appear if the
> control was not registered.  If we do a soft boot and
> reopen the application the same screen which gave the
> error works fine. Let me tell you that of all the controls
> only the Tab control and the EasyInk control give this
> error.

> One additional Input is that when I checked the free
> memory at this point, it was pretty low, around 1 to 2 MB
> free.

> What I would like to know is if this is a known issue and
> is there a fix for this or we just live and suffer such a
> problem.

> Or is there a way I can programatically reduce the Storage
> memory and use it for the Program memory?

> Please help me as this issue is holding up an important
> project.

> Thanks in Advance & Regards
> Arun Prabhu
> Patni Computer Systems Limited
> Visit us at http://www.patni.com

Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:23:50 GMT
 Erratic behaviour of some OCX controls
Hey By the way
How do I register ocx , dll components in PocketPC 2002" emulator"? anybody
who has used ocx before, please help...
regards

Piyob

Quote:
> I only use a couple of Forms and make extensive use of Frames
> (hiding/unhiding as required).

> Joe

> > I'm developing an eVB application for Pocket PC that has
> > 42 forms and 6 modules.  Many of these screen have Tab
> > controls on them and one of them has this EasyInk control
> > from Odessey Software.

> > The .vb file is around 1.3 MB in size and runs on a device
> > that has 49.6 MB RAM.  At the point of running the
> > application the amount of free program memory is around 20
> > MB.

> > These controls are registered properly on the device and
> > work fine.  But after opening a few screens and hiding
> > them, I randomly get a "Could not create "XXX" control".
> > This message is the same as that would appear if the
> > control was not registered.  If we do a soft boot and
> > reopen the application the same screen which gave the
> > error works fine. Let me tell you that of all the controls
> > only the Tab control and the EasyInk control give this
> > error.

> > One additional Input is that when I checked the free
> > memory at this point, it was pretty low, around 1 to 2 MB
> > free.

> > What I would like to know is if this is a known issue and
> > is there a fix for this or we just live and suffer such a
> > problem.

> > Or is there a way I can programatically reduce the Storage
> > memory and use it for the Program memory?

> > Please help me as this issue is holding up an important
> > project.

> > Thanks in Advance & Regards
> > Arun Prabhu
> > Patni Computer Systems Limited
> > Visit us at http://www.patni.com

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:40:28 GMT
 Erratic behaviour of some OCX controls
generally u use a utility called regsvrce.exe
it can be found at C:\Windows CE Tools\wce300\Pocket PC 2002\target\x86 (or
thereabouts) and does the same as regsvr32.exe on a pc.

u can also use the control manager, run eVB, then from the  TOOLS | REMOTE
TOOLS menu select "control manager". select the device you are after, right
click on the control list and select "ADD new control"

cheers

--

wolf kumpitsch
snr design engineer, thingo tld

we're making thingoes - work for you

On the other hand: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 thingo ltd, All rights reserved.

> Hey By the way
> How do I register ocx , dll components in PocketPC 2002" emulator"?
anybody
> who has used ocx before, please help...
> regards

> Piyob

> > I only use a couple of Forms and make extensive use of Frames
> > (hiding/unhiding as required).

> > Joe

> > > I'm developing an eVB application for Pocket PC that has
> > > 42 forms and 6 modules.  Many of these screen have Tab
> > > controls on them and one of them has this EasyInk control
> > > from Odessey Software.

> > > The .vb file is around 1.3 MB in size and runs on a device
> > > that has 49.6 MB RAM.  At the point of running the
> > > application the amount of free program memory is around 20
> > > MB.

> > > These controls are registered properly on the device and
> > > work fine.  But after opening a few screens and hiding
> > > them, I randomly get a "Could not create "XXX" control".
> > > This message is the same as that would appear if the
> > > control was not registered.  If we do a soft boot and
> > > reopen the application the same screen which gave the
> > > error works fine. Let me tell you that of all the controls
> > > only the Tab control and the EasyInk control give this
> > > error.

> > > One additional Input is that when I checked the free
> > > memory at this point, it was pretty low, around 1 to 2 MB
> > > free.

> > > What I would like to know is if this is a known issue and
> > > is there a fix for this or we just live and suffer such a
> > > problem.

> > > Or is there a way I can programatically reduce the Storage
> > > memory and use it for the Program memory?

> > > Please help me as this issue is holding up an important
> > > project.

> > > Thanks in Advance & Regards
> > > Arun Prabhu
> > > Patni Computer Systems Limited
> > > Visit us at http://www.patni.com

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:31:26 GMT

1. Comparison Operator - Erratic Behaviour

2. Erratic query behaviour

3. Erratic behaviour of VB application while calling MFC dll

4. Erratic incoming data with 'Winsock' control

5. Weird comctl32.ocx behaviour

6. Weird OCX behaviour

7. New (and undesired) behaviour of richtx32.ocx

8. OCX OCX OCX OCX OCX OCX

9. Cannot disable Alt+F4 keystroke and erratic shortcut menu operation

10. ACC95/WIN95 - erratic 'Type Mismatch'

11. ACC95/WIN95 - erratic 'Type Mismatch' -

12. Erratic Excel VBA speed by machine