Windows CE 3.0
Author Message
 Windows CE 3.0

Hello,

I have the MSDN Universal Subscription, but cannot find the Windows CE 3.0 OS.
I'm looking to port an application that I've developed on NT using VB, and would
like to use the CE 3.0.

Have I overlooked it?  If not, how can I get ahold of it.

Thanks for your help,
Brian

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows CE 3.0
The OS per se isn't there. You can use the eMbedded Visual Tools and a
Windows CE device or the desktop emulation environment to develop apps for
Windows CE devices.

--
Steve Maillet
Entelechy Software Consulting

Hello,

I have the MSDN Universal Subscription, but cannot find the Windows CE 3.0
OS.
I'm looking to port an application that I've developed on NT using VB, and
would
like to use the CE 3.0.

Have I overlooked it?  If not, how can I get ahold of it.

Thanks for your help,
Brian

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows CE 3.0
Thanks for your quick response, Steve.

So, as I understand you, Windows CE 3.0 is actually contained within the eMbedded
Visual Tools.  Can you verify that I understand you correctly?

Quote:
The OS per se isn't there. You can use the eMbedded Visual Tools and a
Windows CE device or the desktop emulation environment to develop apps for
Windows CE devices.

--
Steve Maillet
Entelechy Software Consulting
smaillet 'AT' EntelechyConsulting 'DOT' com
http://www.EntelechyConsulting.com

Hello,

I have the MSDN Universal Subscription, but cannot find the Windows CE 3.0
OS.
I'm looking to port an application that I've developed on NT using VB, and
would
like to use the CE 3.0.

Have I overlooked it?  If not, how can I get ahold of it.

Thanks for your help,
Brian

.

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows CE 3.0
There is a CE Emulator which is included with the SDK, and it requires you
be running NT. The OS isn't actually there it's just an emulator. Windows CE
runs as an embedded operating system on devices. Get a hold of a device of
the same type you wish to port your application to (get an MIPS H/PC if you
plan to port it to an MIPS H/PC, a PPC if you'll be using a PPC etc...) and
you can run your program on the device.
If you want to port something to WinCE it means you probably will be running
on a handheld so the best way to test it is to test it on a handheld.
It's not like you can just boot up WinCE on a PC although there is an intel
port out there I forget from whom, I'd not trust it if you will be deploying
the application.

[...]

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your responses, although I think that we have a disconnect on my
question.

I currently have a device, but it only has WinCE 2.1.  I've developed some VB
apps for this device using VB, and am familiar with the process of development.

I'm looking to upgrade this device to WinCE 3.0, but am unable to find the WinCE
3.0 OS.

Does this clarify my question?

Thanks again,
Brian

Quote:
[...]

..

.

Fri, 16 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows CE 3.0
Yes it does clarify. You MUST go to the device manufacturers for that
upgrade. Each version of the OS is in ROM and customized to that specific
device configuration. The OS is therefore not made available as a general
upgrade. And unfortunately very few vendors support an upgrade plan to V3.0.

--
[...]

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows CE 3.0
Hi Brian,

You'll need to contact the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to
determine whether or not you can upgrade your device from WinCE 2.1 to WinCE
3.0.  Let me explain.  The WinCE 2.1 OS image on your device was built by
the OEM using a Windows CE operating system builder (probably Microsoft's
Platform Builder).  In order for the OEM to build a WinCE image, the
operating system builder must be configured for a target processor.  Refer
to white paper 'Understanding Modularity in Microsoft Windows CE 2.1'
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/modularity.htm for a complete
background.  Each processor submitted to Microsoft by the chip manufacturer
goes through verification testing for EACH version of Windows CE.  Just
because a processor works with WinCE 2.1 does not mean it will work with
WinCE 3.0.  If the OEM chooses to upgrade the device from previous version
of WinCE, they must ensure backward compatibility with any hardware features
built into the device (for example, bar-code scan engine drivers).  As an
application developer, you probably won't be building customized versions of
the operating system.

Hope this helps,
Tom Hall

[...]

1. ASP Page on Windows Ce 3.0 Web Server

2. Webserver for Windows CE 3.0

3. How to disable the Windows CE 3.0 hourglass cursor?

4. How to prevent Windows CE 3.0 device from entring power suspension mode?

5. Microsoft Windows CE 3.0 - Development Team Online Chat Wed July 18th 12:00PST.

6. Reminder: Microsoft Windows CE 3.0 Online Chat, July 18th 12:00PST.

7. Windows CE or not Windows CE?

8. Does eVB 3.0 Support Windows CE .NET 4.1 ?

9. Embedded Visual Basic 3.0 & Windows CE

10. eVB 3.0 and win CE 4.0

11. Plain CE 3.0 and eMbedded tools

12. Hiding taskbar in CE 3.0?