eVB development for headless devices
Author Message
 eVB development for headless devices

Will I be able to use eVB to develop applications for
headless single board computer hardware if I (eventually)
have Studio 2003 .Net and Windows CE 4.1 .Net?

Everything I have seen to date on Platform Builder in 4.1
mentions creating a custom SDK for Visual C++, but I am
interested in sticking with app development in VB.

Will Platform Builder and Studio 2003 work together to let
this happen?

Thanks,

Rick Daber
Jacksonville, FL

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:39:22 GMT
 eVB development for headless devices
On some headless devices, it should be possible to use eVB, but it's only
supported in devices with Windows CE 3.0.  eVB is gone in CE.NET.

If you build using CE.NET and include the .NET Compact Framework, then you
can use VS.NET 2003 and *VB.NET* to do your coding (very different than
either eVB or old VB).

Platform builder, other than adding the .NET Compact Framework to your OS
image, has nothing at all to do with it.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Will I be able to use eVB to develop applications for
> headless single board computer hardware if I (eventually)
> have Studio 2003 .Net and Windows CE 4.1 .Net?

> Everything I have seen to date on Platform Builder in 4.1
> mentions creating a custom SDK for Visual C++, but I am
> interested in sticking with app development in VB.

> Will Platform Builder and Studio 2003 work together to let
> this happen?

> Thanks,

> Rick Daber
> Jacksonville, FL

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:22:09 GMT
 eVB development for headless devices
Studio 2003 does not do eVB and CE 4.1 does not support eVB.

--
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Windows CE Product Manager

Quote:
> Will I be able to use eVB to develop applications for
> headless single board computer hardware if I (eventually)
> have Studio 2003 .Net and Windows CE 4.1 .Net?

> Everything I have seen to date on Platform Builder in 4.1
> mentions creating a custom SDK for Visual C++, but I am
> interested in sticking with app development in VB.

> Will Platform Builder and Studio 2003 work together to let
> this happen?

> Thanks,

> Rick Daber
> Jacksonville, FL

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:22:58 GMT
 eVB development for headless devices
Keep in mind that VB.NET on a headless device is an "unsupported scenario"
by Microsoft at this point.  While it will run (you must have a NULL video
driver), there are occasions when a MessageBox may pop up, and obviously
with a headless device, you're screwed at that point.  You must take extra
care to test for such scenarios.

--
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Windows CE Product Manager

Quote:
> On some headless devices, it should be possible to use eVB, but it's only
> supported in devices with Windows CE 3.0.  eVB is gone in CE.NET.

> If you build using CE.NET and include the .NET Compact Framework, then you
> can use VS.NET 2003 and *VB.NET* to do your coding (very different than
> either eVB or old VB).

> Platform builder, other than adding the .NET Compact Framework to your OS
> image, has nothing at all to do with it.

> Paul T.

> > Will I be able to use eVB to develop applications for
> > headless single board computer hardware if I (eventually)
> > have Studio 2003 .Net and Windows CE 4.1 .Net?

> > Everything I have seen to date on Platform Builder in 4.1
> > mentions creating a custom SDK for Visual C++, but I am
> > interested in sticking with app development in VB.

> > Will Platform Builder and Studio 2003 work together to let
> > this happen?

> > Thanks,

> > Rick Daber
> > Jacksonville, FL

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 01:50:54 GMT
 eVB development for headless devices
That's true.  I guess what was going through my head was that, in a
'headless' device that would run eVB programs, .NET CF would probably work,
also.  We've never been able to get our headless devices to run eVB
programs, but I've always been reluctant to add full-blown null display
drivers, etc., etc., for OS size reasons...

Paul T.

Quote:
> Keep in mind that VB.NET on a headless device is an "unsupported scenario"
> by Microsoft at this point.  While it will run (you must have a NULL video
> driver), there are occasions when a MessageBox may pop up, and obviously
> with a headless device, you're screwed at that point.  You must take extra
> care to test for such scenarios.

> --
> Chris Tacke, eMVP
> Windows CE Product Manager
> Applied Data Systems
> www.applieddata.net

> > On some headless devices, it should be possible to use eVB, but it's
only
> > supported in devices with Windows CE 3.0.  eVB is gone in CE.NET.

> > If you build using CE.NET and include the .NET Compact Framework, then
you
> > can use VS.NET 2003 and *VB.NET* to do your coding (very different than
> > either eVB or old VB).

> > Platform builder, other than adding the .NET Compact Framework to your
OS
> > image, has nothing at all to do with it.

> > Paul T.

> > > Will I be able to use eVB to develop applications for
> > > headless single board computer hardware if I (eventually)
> > > have Studio 2003 .Net and Windows CE 4.1 .Net?

> > > Everything I have seen to date on Platform Builder in 4.1
> > > mentions creating a custom SDK for Visual C++, but I am
> > > interested in sticking with app development in VB.

> > > Will Platform Builder and Studio 2003 work together to let
> > > this happen?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Rick Daber
> > > Jacksonville, FL

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:51:21 GMT

1. Trouble connecting to Device from eVB IDE

2. PPC Device ID with eVB?

3. HOW TO Install my EVB application on real Pocket PC 2002 Device

4. I can't connect the device from eVB or eVC++

5. Installing eVB app on mobile device

6. eVB: cannot load to device while AciveSync is connected

7. eVB can't debug in the Pocket PC 2002 Emulator but does on the device

8. Device Serial Number from eVB

9. eVB to HPC Pro Device and CE 3.0

10. eVB: control problems on iPAQ device, not on Emulator

11. eVB run on device

12. evb Control manager, registering controls on emulator device.