.cdb Database in the emulator
Author Message
 .cdb Database in the emulator

I've got a 150kB .cdb database on a Pocket PC with about 30-40 records and 6
fields in one single table.
My app works fine on a real Pocket PC but when i try to run it in the
emulator, i get the follwing error message, when I open a recordset.
Application Error: An error was encountered while running this program: The
system can not read from the specified device.

The connection object is okay.
Is it a(nother) bug, or can I do anything to let it work in the emulator.

Thanks for good ideas.
Jago

Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:33:32 GMT
 .cdb Database in the emulator
Howdy.

A couple of questions/comments:

1. How did you get the CDB file into emulation?  The file formats are
different between the device and emulation so you can't just copy it up
from the device.

2. In the old days ;-), the way to get a ADOCE working in emulation was to
create a TDB file (just a big old SQL statement in a text file) and copy
that over to emulation.  Then we'd open this file and execute the SQL
statement, creating the CDB file (alternately, you could hard-code a SQL
statement into eVB code).  In my experience, the pain of getting this to
work in emulation usually outweighed any benefits.  More information on how
this works can be found at:
   http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/technicalarticles/emuldemo.asp

3. With the new emulation technology, you can actually set up an ActiveSync
connection with the emulator and filter the MDB file as you would to a
device (more information in the PocketPC 2002 Platform SDK help docs).

In my opinion, I've usually found it easier to hit the device directly.
You might consider purchasing an ethernet card if speed of debugging is
what concerns you.

hth,
-mike

Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:33:15 GMT
 .cdb Database in the emulator
Hallo Michael,
thanks for your tips.
I'll try the things you told me.

Jago

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:00:10 GMT

1. deVBuzz.com - Accessing a cdb database in the emulator

2. .cdb or .mdb in Emulator

3. .cdb file in Target vs Emulator ???

4. How to copy .cdb to emulator?

5. strange behaviour with emulator and cdb-files

6. Using a CDB-file in Emulator

7. Copy cdb from device to desktop and remain cdb

8. Accessing a .CDB PocketPC database using VB6 with ADOCE

9. CDB Database And SQL Aggregate Functions

10. CDB Database

11. How to use indexes with CDB databases

12. My Join Doesn't work - sql against cdb database