VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC
Author Message
 VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC

Hi all..

Im very interested in developing with Visual Basic .Net Standard 2003, but
most of my applications will be for Windows CE based devices.  Ive read
several posts about the subject, and most say that Visual Studio .Net 2003
is needed to develop devices for Windows CE.  Ive also read that SDE and
.Net CF is only supported in VS .Net 2003.

However, Ive also read the features for VB .Net Standard 2003 directly
from Microsofts product ordering website that states:

Smart Device Programmability
Enables developers to rapidly construct Form-based solutions for the Pocket
PC and Windows CE .NET -based devices using the same paradigms and business
logic as for Windows desktop platforms

Mobile Web Device programmability
Enables developers to easily create applications for more than 200 Internet
enabled mobile devices including WAP phones, wireless PDA's, and pagers

Again, this is from the VB .Net STANDARD 2003 features page at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Is there anyone that can confirm whether or not I need VS .Net 2003 to
develop applications for Windows CE / PocketPC devices?

TIA

Y2K

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:16:23 GMT
 VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC
See this FAQ item:

http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=341

--
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Windows CE Product Manager

Quote:
> Hi all..

> I'm very interested in developing with Visual Basic .Net Standard 2003,
but
> most of my applications will be for Windows CE based devices.  I've read
> several posts about the subject, and most say that Visual Studio .Net 2003
> is needed to develop devices for Windows CE.  I've also read that SDE and
> .Net CF is only supported in VS .Net 2003.

> However, I've also read the features for VB .Net Standard 2003 directly
> from Microsoft's product ordering website that states:

> Smart Device Programmability
> Enables developers to rapidly construct Form-based solutions for the
Pocket
> PC and Windows CE .NET -based devices using the same paradigms and
business
> logic as for Windows desktop platforms

> Mobile Web Device programmability
> Enables developers to easily create applications for more than 200
Internet
> enabled mobile devices including WAP phones, wireless PDA's, and pagers

> Again, this is from the VB .Net STANDARD 2003 "features" page at:
> http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/ProductInfo.asp?siteID=11491&typeID=2

> Is there anyone that can confirm whether or not I need VS .Net 2003 to
> develop applications for Windows CE / PocketPC devices?

> TIA

> Y2K

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:43:37 GMT
 VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC
Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

That FAQ tells me everything I've already read and still doesn't answer
my question.  Microsoft's ordering website, for Visual Basic .Net
Standard 2003, says that you can develop applications for mobile
devices, AND nothing about NEEDING VS .Net to develop those
applications.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but we're talking about an $800
difference that I can't afford right now.

TIA

Y2K

Quote:
> See this FAQ item:

> http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=341

> --
> Chris Tacke, eMVP
> Windows CE Product Manager
> Applied Data Systems
> www.applieddata.net

>> Hi all..

>> I'm very interested in developing with Visual Basic .Net Standard
>> 2003,
> but
>> most of my applications will be for Windows CE based devices.  I've
>> read several posts about the subject, and most say that Visual Studio
>> .Net 2003 is needed to develop devices for Windows CE.  I've also
>> read that SDE and .Net CF is only supported in VS .Net 2003.

>> However, I've also read the features for VB .Net Standard 2003
>> directly from Microsoft's product ordering website that states:

>> Smart Device Programmability
>> Enables developers to rapidly construct Form-based solutions for the
> Pocket
>> PC and Windows CE .NET -based devices using the same paradigms and
> business
>> logic as for Windows desktop platforms

>> Mobile Web Device programmability
>> Enables developers to easily create applications for more than 200
> Internet
>> enabled mobile devices including WAP phones, wireless PDA's, and
>> pagers

>> Again, this is from the VB .Net STANDARD 2003 "features" page at:
>> http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/ProductInfo.asp?siteID=11491
&typeID
>> =2

>> Is there anyone that can confirm whether or not I need VS .Net 2003
>> to develop applications for Windows CE / PocketPC devices?

>> TIA

>> Y2K

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:06:02 GMT
 VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC
Hi, Chris

There are several options for developing software for Pocket PC/Windows CE
devices. Mostly, it depends on the device you're trying to develop for.

  * Handheld PC Professional (Win CE 2.11) - download the eMbedded Visual
Toolkit from Microsoft, a 300+ mb download, or order on CD.
  * Handheld PC 2000 - download eVT, H/PC 2000 is not supported by .NET
  * Pocket PC / Pocket PC 2000 (Win CE 3.0) - either download the eVT
mentioned above, or buy Visual Studio.NET 2003.
  * Windows CE.NET (Win CE 4.x) - download eVC 4.0 from Mocrosoft, or buy
Visual Studio.NET 2003 (for WinCE 4.1 and 4.2).

Sounds like you're developing for Pocket PC/Pocket PC 2002, correct? If so,
eVT (includes eMbedded Visual Basic 3.0 and eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0) are a
good choice when you don't have money to spend. Be aware that eVT has its
share of problems, and is not being patched by Microsoft. eVB is also an
event-driven scripting language (basically it's VBScript with forms), so if
you're used to Java programming, you may have some adjustments to make.
However, it is compatible with a wide array of devices, including most of
the consumer devices (i.e. HP iPaq, HP Jornada, Dell Axim) on the market
today.

HTH

Flynn

Quote:
> Chris,

> Thanks for the reply.

> That FAQ tells me everything I've already read and still doesn't answer
> my question.  Microsoft's ordering website, for Visual Basic .Net
> Standard 2003, says that you can develop applications for mobile
> devices, AND nothing about NEEDING VS .Net to develop those
> applications.

> I hate to sound like a broken record, but we're talking about an $800
> difference that I can't afford right now.

> TIA

> Y2K

> > See this FAQ item:

> > http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=341

> > --
> > Chris Tacke, eMVP
> > Windows CE Product Manager
> > Applied Data Systems
> > www.applieddata.net

> >> Hi all..

> >> I'm very interested in developing with Visual Basic .Net Standard
> >> 2003,
> > but
> >> most of my applications will be for Windows CE based devices.  I've
> >> read several posts about the subject, and most say that Visual Studio
> >> .Net 2003 is needed to develop devices for Windows CE.  I've also
> >> read that SDE and .Net CF is only supported in VS .Net 2003.

> >> However, I've also read the features for VB .Net Standard 2003
> >> directly from Microsoft's product ordering website that states:

> >> Smart Device Programmability
> >> Enables developers to rapidly construct Form-based solutions for the
> > Pocket
> >> PC and Windows CE .NET -based devices using the same paradigms and
> > business
> >> logic as for Windows desktop platforms

> >> Mobile Web Device programmability
> >> Enables developers to easily create applications for more than 200
> > Internet
> >> enabled mobile devices including WAP phones, wireless PDA's, and
> >> pagers

> >> Again, this is from the VB .Net STANDARD 2003 "features" page at:
> >> http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/ProductInfo.asp?siteID=11491
> &typeID
> >> =2

> >> Is there anyone that can confirm whether or not I need VS .Net 2003
> >> to develop applications for Windows CE / PocketPC devices?

> >> TIA

> >> Y2K

Sat, 29 Oct 2005 00:57:20 GMT
 VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC
FYI, I'm currently chasing this down with Microsoft.

--
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Advisory Board Member

Quote:
> Chris,

> Thanks for the reply.

> That FAQ tells me everything I've already read and still doesn't answer
> my question.  Microsoft's ordering website, for Visual Basic .Net
> Standard 2003, says that you can develop applications for mobile
> devices, AND nothing about NEEDING VS .Net to develop those
> applications.

> I hate to sound like a broken record, but we're talking about an $800
> difference that I can't afford right now.

> TIA

> Y2K

> > See this FAQ item:

> > http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=341

> > --
> > Chris Tacke, eMVP
> > Windows CE Product Manager
> > Applied Data Systems
> > www.applieddata.net

> >> Hi all..

> >> I'm very interested in developing with Visual Basic .Net Standard
> >> 2003,
> > but
> >> most of my applications will be for Windows CE based devices.  I've
> >> read several posts about the subject, and most say that Visual Studio
> >> .Net 2003 is needed to develop devices for Windows CE.  I've also
> >> read that SDE and .Net CF is only supported in VS .Net 2003.

> >> However, I've also read the features for VB .Net Standard 2003
> >> directly from Microsoft's product ordering website that states:

> >> Smart Device Programmability
> >> Enables developers to rapidly construct Form-based solutions for the
> > Pocket
> >> PC and Windows CE .NET -based devices using the same paradigms and
> > business
> >> logic as for Windows desktop platforms

> >> Mobile Web Device programmability
> >> Enables developers to easily create applications for more than 200
> > Internet
> >> enabled mobile devices including WAP phones, wireless PDA's, and
> >> pagers

> >> Again, this is from the VB .Net STANDARD 2003 "features" page at:
> >> http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/ProductInfo.asp?siteID=11491
> &typeID
> >> =2

> >> Is there anyone that can confirm whether or not I need VS .Net 2003
> >> to develop applications for Windows CE / PocketPC devices?

> >> TIA

> >> Y2K

Sat, 29 Oct 2005 01:40:30 GMT
 VB .Net Standard 2003 and Windows CE/PocketPC
Hi,
If you take a look at www.codeppc.com (french site), they teach  you how to
develop for the compact framework using only notepad & the framework.

Regards,
Alberto Silva

Quote:
> Chris,

> Thanks for the reply.

> That FAQ tells me everything I've already read and still doesn't answer
> my question.  Microsoft's ordering website, for Visual Basic .Net
> Standard 2003, says that you can develop applications for mobile

Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:27:24 GMT

1. VB .Net 2003 Standard or VS .Net 2003 Pro for Smart Devices

2. eVB and CE 4.2 (not pocketpc 2003)

3. VB.Net and Windows Server 2003 Newbie

4. Difference between VB NET and VB NET 2003

5. vb.net 2002 or vb.net 2003 beta

6. VB.Net Editor keystrokes lag/slow to respond (VS.NET 2003)

7. Problem with VB.NET under .NET 2003 Final beta

8. Windows CE.NET AND VB.NET

9. Visual Studio .Net 2003 Final Beta, simple socket code breaks between 2002 and 2003

10. Winsock and Windows Server 2003 (.Net)

11. VB.Net or VB 2003

12. Help:Migrating reports from VB.Beta to VB.Net 2003