Debugging woes in eVB
Author Message
 Debugging woes in eVB

I have two problems with the de{*filter*} in eMbedded VB. The first and worst
bug is that it doesn't always stop at breakpoints. I have a function in one
module which fails on me. The function receives one parameter and this
parameter appears (as in: "not definitely proven" - see problem 2) to be
erroneous. To locate the source of this bad content, I set a breakpoint in
the failing function (let's call it A) as well as in the function that calls
it (B). It is only called by this one function. But did it stop? No! The
de{*filter*} happily disregarded the breakpoint in B and stopped at the
breakpoint set in A. This is the first time I have seen this behavior so
clearly executed. I've experienced problems with breakpoints not being
heeded ever so often but only (apparently) sporadically. Now I'm not so sure
about the intermittency of it.

Error number two is equally vexing and is what lead me to even set the
breakpoints mentioned. The watch! It is incredibly tedious to watch a
variable with this program. For some odd reason, the watch definition is
corrupted every time you step. To get the watch back it has to be edited.
Sometimes it is enough to just open the edit dialog and save it. Sometimes
the watched variable is prefixed with a bunch of space characters that have
to be removed.

Now, my question is this. Does anyone know of a way to avoid this or do we
have to live with it?

- Thomas Nielsen

Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:58:18 GMT
 Debugging woes in eVB
I've had the same problem, with similar lines like:

n = m + _    ' testline
& ...

If you set a breakpoint at testline, the de{*filter*} won't stop.
Write all the code in one line.

HTH
Albert

Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:00:33 GMT
 Debugging woes in eVB
"Albert" wrote

Quote:
> I've had the same problem, with similar lines like:

> n = m + _    ' testline
> & ...

> If you set a breakpoint at testline, the de{*filter*} won't stop.
> Write all the code in one line.

I never use line continuation character, always write in one line
but eVB de{*filter*} doesn't seem to be happy with that, either.
It decides to stop only when it's in the mood :)

By the way, anyone had problems starting the app ?
In my experiences, almost every one of three consecutive starts
fail to launch the application in emulator.

Don't bother yourself too much about stopping it,
just be thankful that it got started !  :)

Serdar A.

Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:32:06 GMT
 Debugging woes in eVB
The eVB de{*filter*} is next to useless, but there are a few tips that you
can try to improve the experience.

1. Do not use the line continuation character, e.g. _ always put code
on one line.
2. You will need to put breakpoints not only on the line that you want
to stop at, but also on a few lines
   above and below.
3. Debugging whilst connected to the device via serial cable is slow
and unreliable, consider connecting to
   the device using Ethernet, this works much much better and loads
the program a lot faster to the device.

   You will need to set the device up onto a wireless network to do
this though, you will need . . . .

   -Radio Card in device
   -Wireless LAN Access Point connected to your LAN
   -Run ActiveSync on device and PC to connect.

   For more info search this Group further.

4. You could create a debug form and populate it with the information
that you want to report on, (thanks to Keld Laursen for this tip)
5. Use the MsgBox function to show information that you want to report
on, (thanks to Chris Tacke for this tip)
6. The de{*filter*} seems to perform worse when the code is in a .bas
module, you could temporarily move the function to a form
   where the de{*filter*} seems to work better, then when fixed, move it
back to the .bas module.

(Don't even bother with the Watch Window..!)

Hope this helps..

Paul Newton

Quote:

> "Albert" wrote
> > I've had the same problem, with similar lines like:

> > n = m + _    ' testline
> > & ...

> > If you set a breakpoint at testline, the de{*filter*} won't stop.
> > Write all the code in one line.

> I never use line continuation character, always write in one line
> but eVB de{*filter*} doesn't seem to be happy with that, either.
> It decides to stop only when it's in the mood :)

> By the way, anyone had problems starting the app ?
> In my experiences, almost every one of three consecutive starts
> fail to launch the application in emulator.

> Don't bother yourself too much about stopping it,
> just be thankful that it got started !  :)

> Serdar A.

Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:53:04 GMT

1. Class creation and debugging woes

2. Debug application in eVB is not working

3. Debugging EVB apps

4. How to debug eVB Prog.

5. Debug in eVB and PC2002 emulator

6. eVB debugging with Ethernet

7. eVB can't debug in the Pocket PC 2002 Emulator but does on the device

8. eVB SDK Debug issue....

9. Debug C DLL called from eVB application?????

10. debugging, eVB, ADOCE3.1, SQLServer CE

11. eVB 3 Debug.Print gone?

12. eVB Debug Problem