Writing code for a HPC and Pocket PC / Database access
Author Message
 Writing code for a HPC and Pocket PC / Database access

Hi,

I've got a few questions to help with my choice of Win CE device and Third
Year University Project, they're below, and at the bottom the background,
and what I've looked at, otherwise the post gets waffly !

Using Microsoft Embedded Visual Tools:

Q. I'm thinking about buying a HP Jornada 720 for my use (W.Processor,
website design use) are there any other models I should consider, needs to
be small, with a keyboard and run WinCE

Q. Are databases as easy to do as the Pocket PC example from

http://www.*-*-*.com/

on the H/PC. I haven't been able to emulate any database code on the H/PC.

Q. I would like to synchronise about 10 Pocket PCs with 1 main PC. I was
planning on writing the server software in VB, using the serial port for
docking to look after the synchronisation. I've looked at the following
example :

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Will this work on both a H/PC for my development, and on a Pocket PC for
implementation? Are there any problems with this ?

Any help on any of these questions or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Edwin Bond

<Background>
I'm a University student at Portsmouth University (UK) studying Computer
Science, and am looking into my Third Year Project. I'm aiming to write a
order picking system using embedded Visual Basic on a Pocket PC, however I
am aiming to buy a HP Jornada 720 Handheld for me to use, and develop the
app on. If I can't do the project on the H/PC then I won't bother with a
WinCE device but get a Psion. I've spent the last 3 weeks looking through
the newsgroups, and the www.devbuzz.com website and been going through the
sample code. The conclusions I've come to is that to develop for both
platforms the Pocket PC and H/PC I wouldn't be able to port database code
easily, however using files seems to port ok. I haven't been able to get
some of the examples on the H/PC emulator, though I'm not sure if this is
something to do with the version of ADOCE or CE that the emulator emulates.
</background>

Cheers

Edwin Bond

--
UK Contact info
Mobile 07803 154885

Mobile 07803 154885
Fax 0870 16 11 472
ICQ 39241525

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:50:23 GMT

http://www.devbuzz.com/content/zinc_intro_ADOCE_databases_pg1.asp

http://www.devbuzz.com/content/zinc_eVB_COMM_control_pg1.asp

[...]

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:53:49 GMT

1. Writing data to Pocket Access from eVB on HPC 2000

2. HPC and Pocket PC application

3. pocket pc transfer file to another pocket pc

4. database from pocket pc to desktop pc

5. Newbie : Pocket PC/Handheld PC/Palm PC

6. Sync error between Pocket Access and Access on PC

7. Any sample code for obtaining handwriting from the Pocket PC

8. Pocket PC 2002 emulator and database

9. import export data in pocket pc databases

10. pocket pc database

11. Database in Pocket PC installation Package...

12. read blob data from sql server ce database in pocket pc