Problems with this idea?
Author Message
 Problems with this idea?

Hi all,

I am about to start a project. This is a remote data collection system. eg:

User scans bar codes into a win CE device which then gets sent, as an order,
via a GSM mobile phone to the central Databse.

The hardware we are planning  to use is:

An RS232 Bar Code Scanner
a HP Jornado PDA
A Nokia 6210 mobile phone

So the scanner is linked via the serial port to the Jornado and this
transfers data at some point to the mobile phone via the infra red-link (I
am told it can do this)

I was going to write the simple application in Win CE VB development kit.

Can anyone see any problems with this approach? The only one I can see is
getting the serial port to fit the cable (presumably the jornado will have a
special port).

Cheers

Mark

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 04:02:48 GMT
 Problems with this idea?
Have you seen these barcode scanners?
http://www.socketcom.com/product/bar_pocket_sys.htm

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I am about to start a project. This is a remote data collection system.
eg:

> User scans bar codes into a win CE device which then gets sent, as an
order,
> via a GSM mobile phone to the central Databse.

> The hardware we are planning  to use is:

> An RS232 Bar Code Scanner
> a HP Jornado PDA
> A Nokia 6210 mobile phone

> So the scanner is linked via the serial port to the Jornado and this
> transfers data at some point to the mobile phone via the infra red-link (I
> am told it can do this)

> I was going to write the simple application in Win CE VB development kit.

> Can anyone see any problems with this approach? The only one I can see is
> getting the serial port to fit the cable (presumably the jornado will have
> special port).

> Cheers

> Mark

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:10:37 GMT
 Problems with this idea?
I haven't heard of much success involving eVB and IR.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I am about to start a project. This is a remote data collection system.
eg:

> User scans bar codes into a win CE device which then gets sent, as an
order,
> via a GSM mobile phone to the central Databse.

> The hardware we are planning  to use is:

> An RS232 Bar Code Scanner
> a HP Jornado PDA
> A Nokia 6210 mobile phone

> So the scanner is linked via the serial port to the Jornado and this
> transfers data at some point to the mobile phone via the infra red-link (I
> am told it can do this)

> I was going to write the simple application in Win CE VB development kit.

> Can anyone see any problems with this approach? The only one I can see is
> getting the serial port to fit the cable (presumably the jornado will have
> special port).

> Cheers

> Mark

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:25:09 GMT

1. having a real problem with this idea in CGI using VB5CGI

2. having a real problem with this idea in CGI using VB5CGI

3. having a real problem with this idea in CGI using VB5CGI

4. Really weird RPC error problem - any ideas???

5. Printing problems any ideas?

6. Great Idea, Major Problem

7. Activex download db problem - any ideas

8. Word Wrap Problem - Any Ideas?

9. Format problem any ideas?

10. SERIOUS problem....Any ideas/pointers???

11. Easy problem - I have no idea...

12. Freaky problems with Access -- any ideas?