ADOCE / eVB Memory Leak - Fixed, but still Occurring
Author Message
 ADOCE / eVB Memory Leak - Fixed, but still Occurring

Hello All

We have developed an application in eVB that is using ADOCE and SQL Server 2000 CE.

We were experiencing the memory leak problem with COM objects and large enums, (not being cleared from memory, and excellently described at http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

We have applied the fix supplied by Microsoft, but instead of resolving the issue it has made the problem worse.  We experience 'Out of Memory' errors 8007000E, -2147024882 and 2147942414, (Source SQL Server 2000 CE), at an earlier point in our App. using a Casio CASSIOPEIA E-125 (MIPS) with 32Mb.

With a Compaq iPAQ (StrongARM) 32Mb the problem does not occur until later on, i.e. you can use the App. for a longer period of time before the problem occurs, but in the end it does occur.

Having had a conversation with Casio there does not appear to be much we can do, although I am just wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem... basically, you have applied the 'eVB CreateObject Function Causes Memory Leak' fix, but are still experiencing errors.

The point where the Casio crashes is when a RecordSet is opened.  The query consisting of four joined tables and one returned record.

Regards

David Morgan

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:10:38 GMT
 ADOCE / eVB Memory Leak - Fixed, but still Occurring

Hello David,

I will try this on Jornada and iPaq and get back to the group

Jeff Law
DataMasta Limited
http://www.datamasta.co.nz

  We were experiencing the memory leak problem with COM objects and large enums, (not being cleared from memory, and excellently described at http://www.odysseysoftware.com/support.html and in Knowledge Base Article Q286504).

[...]

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 05:48:21 GMT
 ADOCE / eVB Memory Leak - Fixed, but still Occurring

Hi All,

I have a synch application which takes data from an Access database on the desktop and sends it by WinSock to the PocketPC. On arrival there, it is added to a SQL Server CE database.

Currently, there are around 26,000 records involved. The device-side app cused CreateObject to build each recordset i.e. 26,000 of them.

Before trying the Odyssey solution, this will give up with 'insufficient memory' errors after a few hundred records.

After installing this solution and converting the application to use it (about 5 minutes woprk), it went right through with no problems whatever.

Well done and thank you, Odyssey!

Jeff Law
DataMasta Limited
http://www.datamasta.co.nz

[...]

Thu, 01 Jan 2004 06:53:09 GMT
 ADOCE / eVB Memory Leak - Fixed, but still Occurring

Hi

I'd like to thank Odyssey systems for their solution, I was crashing after entering 1 months worth of Diary card information before using the program crashed , at 3 months when using the odyssey solution I have gotten bored so asked somebody else to test it for me

Well done Odyssey

Chris

[...]

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:53:11 GMT
 ADOCE / eVB Memory Leak - Fixed, but still Occurring

Unbelievable! It's so simple that I'm suprized that no one at MS had thought of it.

Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:07:26 GMT

1. eVB memory leak fixes

2. No error reported and memory leak if error occurs in Class_Terminate

3. ADOCE leaking memory

4. Suggestions to help track and fix memory leaks.

5. eVB CreateObject Function - MEMORY LEAK

6. eVB CreateObject Function Causes Memory Leak

7. Memory Leaks/Resource Leaks

8. OLE Automation Problems - MEMORY HOG (Memory Leak?)

9. memory leak in vitual memory

10. memory leak on vitual memory

11. Memory Leak -- Out of Memory

12. ADO Memory Leak results in out of memory