Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.
Author Message
 Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

Hello All:

Please help. I was quite comfortable in the VB world and became proficient
at writing VB ActiveX DLLs that work just great in MTS. There, I can do
anything I want with a SQL Server backend, using ADO and stored procedures.
We use these to power our ASP-based web sites and everything works great.

However...

Now, our director wants all of our internal, component library to be written
in VC++. Great, I say. To get started, I really need to build a simple DLL
that I can put into MTS and Create, Retrieve, Update, and Delete data by
calling a stored procedure using ADO.

What books and/or sites could you recommend for tutorials on how to do this
in VC++?

(Note 1: I have "Teach Yourself VC++ 6 In 21 Days", but this book covers
only "MFC extension DLLs" and "regular DLLs". However, it seems that I need
to find out about ATL-based DLLs-- that is, ActiveX in-process DLLs.)

(Note 2: I already have many great learning materials on straight C++. What
I really need is material that is VC++- and Microsoft- world specific.

(Note 3: I am sorry, in advance, if this cross-posting-- but I really need
to get up and running fast.)

Thank you, very much.

--

"I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make
it short." -- Blaise Pascal.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

[what to read to get to speed on VC]

You want to read the FAQs at these URLs.  Pay
attention to the further books and FAQS they recommend.

The C++ FAQ lite
http://marshall-cline.home.att.net/cpp-faq-lite/
And you really want to get the book version
which is much expanded and more detailed.

A Win32 programming faq
http://www.iseran.com/Win32/FAQ/

An MFC FAQ
http://mfcfaq.stingray.com/

Here is the MVP faq
http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq/

And you should be able to find some good book reviews here.
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/index.htm

For coding in Visual C/C++, you want to go through
the tutorials, and read the examples. Start with the
Scribble tutorial.  Probably the books you want to
start with are the one by Petzold and the one by
Prosise.

Read Schaum's outline on C++.  Cheap, quick, easy,
lots of worked examples. Just don't let it be your
last book, because it is by no means even close
to complete. It will help you up the learning curve.

The cannonical reference on the C++ language is
_The C++ Language (3rd Edition)_ by Stroustrup.
(There is now a special edition with some extra
material, and you should probably get this if
you have not already got the 3rd edition.)
If you are planning to be in the industry, you
really want to get and *carefully* read this.

--
Dan Evens
Standard disclaimers etc. No spam please.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.
This is not ment to be offensive.  You either need to tell your boss to get
a reality check (you don't learn C++ overnight) or get you into training,
documentation and a couple year window for results.  Business people don't
often have a grasp of reality when it comes to these things.

Quote:

> Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

> Hello All:

> Please help. I was quite comfortable in the VB world and became proficient
> at writing VB ActiveX DLLs that work just great in MTS. There, I can do
> anything I want with a SQL Server backend, using ADO and stored
procedures.
> We use these to power our ASP-based web sites and everything works great.

> However...

> Now, our director wants all of our internal, component library to be
written
> in VC++. Great, I say. To get started, I really need to build a simple DLL
> that I can put into MTS and Create, Retrieve, Update, and Delete data by
> calling a stored procedure using ADO.

> What books and/or sites could you recommend for tutorials on how to do
this
> in VC++?

> (Note 1: I have "Teach Yourself VC++ 6 In 21 Days", but this book covers
> only "MFC extension DLLs" and "regular DLLs". However, it seems that I
need
> to find out about ATL-based DLLs-- that is, ActiveX in-process DLLs.)

> (Note 2: I already have many great learning materials on straight C++.
What
> I really need is material that is VC++- and Microsoft- world specific.

> (Note 3: I am sorry, in advance, if this cross-posting-- but I really need
> to get up and running fast.)

> Thank you, very much.

> --

> "I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to
make
> it short." -- Blaise Pascal.

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.
Mark,

Quote:
> What books and/or sites could you recommend for tutorials on
> how to do this in VC++?

I'm learning VC++ for a similar reason to yours.  Like Brian mentioned, you
have a lot of things to learn...  I first worked my way through a couple of
the "24 Hours" and "21 Days" books, but they really didn't have enough
details to help me figure out problems.

Since MFC / ATL / etc etc are based on "C++ to the Max" (that is, casual or
"management-level" knowledge of C++ is not enough) I have found it necessary
to become fluent in C++.

The best C++ book for my learning style is "Teach Yourself C++" Third Edition
by Herbert Schildt, ISBN 0-07-882392-7.  This book assumes you know the C
programming language.  Note: this isn't VC++; just ANSI C++.  All its
programs will be console programs in VCPP.

To find out what you really understand about C++, I recommend "Effective C++"
2nd Edition by Scott Meyers, ISBN 0-201-92488-9.  This is a short little book
with no wasted words.  Quote from page xiv:
   "Experienced C++ developers know that understanding inline functions and
understanding virtual destructors does _not_ necessarily mean you understand
inline virtual destructors."

For MFC, the only book I've found with enough detail is "Programming Windows
with MFC" 2nd Edition by Jeff Prosise, ISBN 1-57231-695-0.

HTH!

   -- Mark

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.
Noticed I forgot to mention the book I was going to mention.  Thinking in
C++ Second Edition by Bruce Eckel is great.  Also includes a
lecture/slideshow CDROM called Thinking in C which is worth the price of the
book alone.

> Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

> Hello All:

> Please help. I was quite comfortable in the VB world and became proficient
> at writing VB ActiveX DLLs that work just great in MTS. There, I can do
> anything I want with a SQL Server backend, using ADO and stored
procedures.
> We use these to power our ASP-based web sites and everything works great.

> However...

> Now, our director wants all of our internal, component library to be
written
> in VC++. Great, I say. To get started, I really need to build a simple DLL
> that I can put into MTS and Create, Retrieve, Update, and Delete data by
> calling a stored procedure using ADO.

> What books and/or sites could you recommend for tutorials on how to do
this
> in VC++?

> (Note 1: I have "Teach Yourself VC++ 6 In 21 Days", but this book covers
> only "MFC extension DLLs" and "regular DLLs". However, it seems that I
need
> to find out about ATL-based DLLs-- that is, ActiveX in-process DLLs.)

> (Note 2: I already have many great learning materials on straight C++.
What
> I really need is material that is VC++- and Microsoft- world specific.

> (Note 3: I am sorry, in advance, if this cross-posting-- but I really need
> to get up and running fast.)

> Thank you, very much.

> --

> "I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to
make
> it short." -- Blaise Pascal.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:05:31 GMT

1. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

2. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

3. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

4. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

5. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

6. Experienced VC++ programmers, please assist VB guy lookin to learn C++

7. Experienced VC++ programmers, please assist VB guy lookin to learn C++

8. Java Programmers Will Outnumber C++/VB/C#

9. PROBLEM WITH VC++ AND ACCESS -- URGENT, PLEASE HELP

10. URGENT - PLEASE HELP - Accessing Internet with VC++

11. SOS...SOS...SOS...URGENT HELP about VC++ build ASP componts,Please

12. Urgent help please - Cannot register VC++ Dll