VC++ 5.0 & 6.0 Debugger Crash When Observing list
Author Message
 VC++ 5.0 & 6.0 Debugger Crash When Observing list

Hello,

I have written a small sample program in which I declare a list as follows:

 list<string*> test_list;

I am able to insert string objects into this list, remove them, traverse the
list via an iterator, etc. and everything works just fine. The list seems to
be a well-formed object and nothing gets corrupted during the course of
execution. However, when I try to view the contents of test_list in either
the QuickWatch dialog or expand it in the variable window, the de{*filter*} goes
into Never, Never Land. Is there a known de{*filter*} bug that causes this, or
am I totally missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help anyone
can give on this issue.

Cheers,
Garth Hermanson

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++ 5.0 & 6.0 Debugger Crash When Observing list
MSVC's name mangling algorithm results in longer symbol names than some of
MSVC's own tools can handle.  This is especially a problem with template
instantiations.  On my system even having the variables window open while
stepping through some template code blows the de{*filter*}.

Quote:
>Hello,

>I have written a small sample program in which I declare a list as follows:

> list<string*> test_list;

>I am able to insert string objects into this list, remove them, traverse
the
>list via an iterator, etc. and everything works just fine. The list seems
>be a well-formed object and nothing gets corrupted during the course of
>execution. However, when I try to view the contents of test_list in either
>the QuickWatch dialog or expand it in the variable window, the de{*filter*}
goes
>into Never, Never Land. Is there a known de{*filter*} bug that causes this, or
>am I totally missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help anyone
>can give on this issue.

>Cheers,
>Garth Hermanson

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++ 5.0 & 6.0 Debugger Crash When Observing list
I am sorry to hear that this bug is back.  It first appeared long ago in the
original release of VC4.  SP1 for that version originally fixed it.

Personally I have used both VC5 and 6 without ever seeing this crash.  In my
debugging sessions the names are simply truncated.

Joe O'

Quote:
>MSVC's name mangling algorithm results in longer symbol names than some of
>MSVC's own tools can handle.  This is especially a problem with template
>instantiations.  On my system even having the variables window open while
>stepping through some template code blows the de{*filter*}.

>>Hello,

>>I have written a small sample program in which I declare a list as
follows:

>> list<string*> test_list;

>>I am able to insert string objects into this list, remove them, traverse
>the
>>list via an iterator, etc. and everything works just fine. The list seems
>>be a well-formed object and nothing gets corrupted during the course of
>>execution. However, when I try to view the contents of test_list in either
>>the QuickWatch dialog or expand it in the variable window, the de{*filter*}
>goes
>>into Never, Never Land. Is there a known de{*filter*} bug that causes this, or
>>am I totally missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help anyone
>>can give on this issue.

>>Cheers,
>>Garth Hermanson

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++ 5.0 & 6.0 Debugger Crash When Observing list
Thanks for your help. Yes, this seems to be the problem as I do get link
warnings where it states that "identifier was truncated to '255' characters
in the debug information," which should have been my first clue. Although
this does not necessarily manifest itself in the same way as described in
the Microsoft Knowledge Base, Article ID: Q164949. According to the article,
the new limitation introduced in VC++ 5.0 for symbol names handled by the
de{*filter*} is (256+128). Apparently, either this is still not enough, I have
an erroneous compiler setting, or my environment has gone bad. If anyone is
interested in testing this in their environment, I have a test project that
I can send.

Cheers,
Garth Hermanson

Quote:
>I am sorry to hear that this bug is back.  It first appeared long ago in
the
>original release of VC4.  SP1 for that version originally fixed it.

>Personally I have used both VC5 and 6 without ever seeing this crash.  In
my
>debugging sessions the names are simply truncated.

>Joe O'

>>MSVC's name mangling algorithm results in longer symbol names than some of
>>MSVC's own tools can handle.  This is especially a problem with template
>>instantiations.  On my system even having the variables window open while
>>stepping through some template code blows the de{*filter*}.

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VC 5.0 and 6.0 Debugger Bug

2. VC 5.0 and 6.0 Debugger Bug

3. SP2 & VC++ 5.0 still crashes

4. vc++ 5.0 to vc++ 6.0 problem

5. vc++ 5.0 programs and vc++ 6.0

6. Disabling the VC debugger in VC 6.0

7. vc++ 5.0 debugger problems, any solutions yet?

8. 6.0 IDE crashes (a lot more than 5.0 did)

9. vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file

10. Debugging VC 6.0 Project under VC 5.0

11. VC++ 5.0 and VC++ 6.0 debug run time compatibility

12. Co-install of VC 5.0 and VC 6.0