VC 6 and SGI STL 3.11
Author Message
 VC 6 and SGI STL 3.11

Quote:

> 1. I have been using the standard template library that comes with VC 6.0. I
> have heard that SGI provides a better implementation. What are the significant
> differences between them and is it really worth converting over?

The two most significant differences are that the SGI STL:
1. Has less bugs.
2. Does not use static class members. (These cause problems when passing
   STL objects to DLLs or when writing multi-threaded programs).

Both those problems are fixed if you download the fixes for the STL that
comes with VC from http://www.*-*-*.com/
 .

There are other minor advantages to the SGI STL, like hashed containers
and the rope template. Also, SGI provides much better documentation,
which you can download from http://www.*-*-*.com/
 .

Quote:
> 2. I download the STL from SGI and tried to recompile my very simple program.
> It failed. It appears that including <iostream> instead of <iostream.h> causes
> great problems. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What's causing the
> problem between VC 6.0 and SGI STL 3.11?

This is a known problem. If you use STL, you should use only the new
style headers (without the .h). Also, if you use streams, I recommend
that you get STLport - a more portable version of SGI STL. It fixes a
problem with VC's definition of reverse_iterator (among other things),
that causes problems when using stream iterators. You can get it from
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~fbp/stl/
 .

--
Have fun,
Yonat.

"The nice thing about standards is that
 there are so many of them to choose from."
                -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC 6 and SGI STL 3.11
I also have a modified version of SGI STL at
http://www.mindspring.com/~fluxsmith/Programming/library.html
It is *not* designed to be more portable, it is designed to be used with
MSVC 6.0.

>style headers (without the .h). Also, if you use streams, I recommend
>that you get STLport - a more portable version of SGI STL. It fixes a
>problem with VC's definition of reverse_iterator (among other things),
>that causes problems when using stream iterators. You can get it from
>http://www.metabyte.com/~fbp/stl/
> .

>--
>Have fun,
>Yonat.

>"The nice thing about standards is that
> there are so many of them to choose from."
>                -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC 6 and SGI STL 3.11
At
http://www.dinkumware.com/vc_fixes.html
it is stated:
"The following bug fixes correct problems in the Standard
C++ Library that accompanies Microsoft Visual C++ V5.0. They
should also work with V6.0, but they have not yet been
tested with that version"

Since you advocate using the fix, maybe you would kindly
tell us if you have tested
it in VC60?

Carsten J. Arnholm(sr)
Oslo, Norway

Quote:

>> 1. I have been using the standard template library that

comes with VC 6.0. I
Quote:
>> have heard that SGI provides a better implementation.

What are the significant
Quote:
>> differences between them and is it really worth
converting over?

>The two most significant differences are that the SGI STL:
>1. Has less bugs.
>2. Does not use static class members. (These cause problems
when passing
>   STL objects to DLLs or when writing multi-threaded
programs).

>Both those problems are fixed if you download the fixes for
the STL that
>comes with VC from http://www.dinkumware.com/vc_fixes.html
> .

>There are other minor advantages to the SGI STL, like
hashed containers
>and the rope template. Also, SGI provides much better
documentation,
>which you can download from

http://www.sgi.com/Technology/STL/
Quote:
> .

>> 2. I download the STL from SGI and tried to recompile my

very simple program.
Quote:
>> It failed. It appears that including <iostream> instead

of <iostream.h> causes

>> great problems. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
What's causing the
>> problem between VC 6.0 and SGI STL 3.11?

>This is a known problem. If you use STL, you should use
only the new
>style headers (without the .h). Also, if you use streams, I
recommend
>that you get STLport - a more portable version of SGI STL.
It fixes a
>problem with VC's definition of reverse_iterator (among
other things),
>that causes problems when using stream iterators. You can
get it from
>http://www.metabyte.com/~fbp/stl/
> .

>--
>Have fun,
>Yonat.

>"The nice thing about standards is that
> there are so many of them to choose from."
>                -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC 6 and SGI STL 3.11

Quote:

> At http://www.dinkumware.com/vc_fixes.html it is stated:
> "The following bug fixes correct problems in the Standard
> C++ Library that accompanies Microsoft Visual C++ V5.0. They
> should also work with V6.0, but they have not yet been
> tested with that version"

> Since you advocate using the fix, maybe you would kindly
> tell us if you have tested it in VC60?

Only a little - it seems to work fine. Anyone else care to share their
experiences with it?

--
Have fun,
Yonat.

"The nice thing about standards is that
 there are so many of them to choose from."
                -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. SGI STL 3.11

2. Conflict between VC 7 STL and SGI STL - how to resolve

3. ATL conflict between VC 7 STL and SGI STL - how to resolve

4. VC 5.0 and SGI STL

5. SGI STL w/vc 5.0?

6. sgi STL & vc++ 6.0

7. SGI STL usable with VC 4.0

8. Sgi Stl 3.11 anyone using it with VC++ 6?

9. Porting code from SGI STL to MSVC STL

10. SGI-STL or STL of VC++

11. VC++ STL v/s SGI STL Performance ???

12. How to build a win 3.11 printer driver