Porting code from SGI STL to MSVC STL
Author Message
 Porting code from SGI STL to MSVC STL

I have come across a templatized tree class that would be very
useful in a project that I am working on but unfortunately it is
written for gcc and the STL that comes with gcc (SGI ?) and will
not even come close to compiling MSVC. I think the main problem
has to do with the SGI allocators. I have decided not to post the
entire code here but to include a link.
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Can anyone look at this code and give me a hint as to what I
would need to do to port it to MSVC. I think this code would be
very helpful in this project and probably many others.
Also maybe someone here is aware of another freely available
templatized tree class that will compile with MSVC.
If this post is off topic I apologize now.
If you would like me to post the code here I think I can, it is
GPL licenced.
Any hints or help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff Higgins
Saint Helena South Carolina USA

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:12:36 GMT
 Porting code from SGI STL to MSVC STL

Quote:

> Also maybe someone here is aware of another freely available
> templatized tree class that will compile with MSVC.

See <xtree>. It comes with VC++.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 04:28:53 GMT
 Porting code from SGI STL to MSVC STL

| > Also maybe someone here is aware of another freely available
| > templatized tree class that will compile with MSVC.
|
| See <xtree>. It comes with VC++.
|
| P.J. Plauger
| Dinkumware, Ltd.
| http://www.dinkumware.com

Thank you very much. I have been completely unaware of <xtree>.
The MS documentation of xtree seems sparse and I will have to do
some reading up on red black trees before I will be able to do
much with it, but this could be a great help. Could you perhaps
point me in the direction of some <xtree> example code?

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:58:53 GMT
 Porting code from SGI STL to MSVC STL

Quote:

> Thank you very much. I have been completely unaware of <xtree>.
> The MS documentation of xtree seems sparse and I will have to do
> some reading up on red black trees before I will be able to do
> much with it, but this could be a great help.

The documentation is sparse because template class _Tree is under
the hood. You really should use the template classes set, map,
multiset and multimap instead of directly dealing with _Tree. And
all you really need to know about red-black trees to use them is
that they stay well enough balanced to maintain logarithmic time
complexity for insert/erase/find.

Quote:
>                                               Could you perhaps
> point me in the direction of some <xtree> example code?

I'm sure you can find good examples of set/map usage in the various
STL books out there. I also wrote a couple of columns on these
containers in the April/May '97 issues of C/C++ Users Journal. I'm
sure you can find them on a CD available from www.cuj.com.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:09:59 GMT

1. Porting from SGI's STL to STLPort 4.5.1 in VC6

2. SGI STL performance crusher in MSVC

3. Conflict between VC 7 STL and SGI STL - how to resolve

4. ATL conflict between VC 7 STL and SGI STL - how to resolve

5. SGI-STL or STL of VC++

6. VC++ STL v/s SGI STL Performance ???

7. typedef'ing iterators in MSVC's STL (not the HP STL)

8. Problem in porting code from VC++ 6.0 to VS.Net (using STL)

9. How to use MSVC STL with a library compiled with SGI STL..

10. Free C++ SIG:Austern,SGI STL;Feb 8,Sat

11. VC++ and STL (SGI Implementation)

12. SGI STL and VC++ 5.0