STL Error message filter for MSVC6/Native lib/Dinkumware 3.08: now available
Author Message
 STL Error message filter for MSVC6/Native lib/Dinkumware 3.08: now available

I just found out about this newsgroup today, so please excuse
any pending ignorance of protocol around here. I'd just
like to announce the pre-publication availability of a small
tool I wrote for simplifying the STL-related error messages
put out by MSVC 5/6.

The tool is actually a combination of a C++ (more C, really)
program that "spoofs" Microsoft's CL.EXE command, and a Perl
script that filters the normal error output of the "real" CL.EXE
and produces readable versions of the messages.

An article I wrote on the filter is slated for publication in
the July 2001 issue of The C/C++ Users Journal. The code itself
will not be printed in the magazine, but will be posted on its
web site. Except for a handful of beta testers, no one has seen
this yet. I asked a friend who is influential in the C++
community about where the best place to put out for feedback would
be, and this group is the answer I got.

The URL for the package is::

        www.tiac.net/users/leor/bds/stlfilt.zip

Installation and usage are documented within the package. If you
don't have Perl on your machine, download it from www.activestate.com.
If you use STL a lot, I think you'll find this worth the trouble.

I've been tweaking the filter for three months now; the "official"
release date is sometime early in May (that's when it'll get posted
on the CUJ web site). Between now and then, I'll take any feedback
seriously and make changes as appropriate. It doesn't do everything
(for example, see the tstring.cpp test program in the samples.zip
archive), but it does seem to work pretty darned well with typical
standard container operations.

Thanks,
        -leor

Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:39:58 GMT
 STL Error message filter for MSVC6/Native lib/Dinkumware 3.08: now available
It works great for most of my stuff, but my main project also needs to
create a few type libraries, and when it gets to that stage of the build I
get the output:

Creating Type Library...
Latest
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'C:\_dev\Latest': No such file
or directory
Array.odl
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'Code\Array.odl': No such file
or directory
Error executing midl.exe.

The project lives in "C:\_dev\Latest Code\". The new version of cl.exe
doesn't seem to be used at this stage (I've tried adding prints etc. but
they don't show up). If I put the old cl.exe back, everything works fine.
Any idea what's going on here?

Quote:

> I just found out about this newsgroup today, so please excuse
> any pending ignorance of protocol around here. I'd just
> like to announce the pre-publication availability of a small
> tool I wrote for simplifying the STL-related error messages
> put out by MSVC 5/6.

> The tool is actually a combination of a C++ (more C, really)
> program that "spoofs" Microsoft's CL.EXE command, and a Perl
> script that filters the normal error output of the "real" CL.EXE
> and produces readable versions of the messages.

> An article I wrote on the filter is slated for publication in
> the July 2001 issue of The C/C++ Users Journal. The code itself
> will not be printed in the magazine, but will be posted on its
> web site. Except for a handful of beta testers, no one has seen
> this yet. I asked a friend who is influential in the C++
> community about where the best place to put out for feedback would
> be, and this group is the answer I got.

> The URL for the package is::

> www.tiac.net/users/leor/bds/stlfilt.zip

> Installation and usage are documented within the package. If you
> don't have Perl on your machine, download it from www.activestate.com.
> If you use STL a lot, I think you'll find this worth the trouble.

> I've been tweaking the filter for three months now; the "official"
> release date is sometime early in May (that's when it'll get posted
> on the CUJ web site). Between now and then, I'll take any feedback
> seriously and make changes as appropriate. It doesn't do everything
> (for example, see the tstring.cpp test program in the samples.zip
> archive), but it does seem to work pretty darned well with typical
> standard container operations.

> Thanks,
> -leor

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:22:41 GMT

1. Visual c++ 6.0 debugger and DInkumware C++ library 3.08

2. ostream copy constructor question while porting to Dinkumware 3.08

3. Dinkumware 3.08 std::string performance

4. default new_handler with Dinkumware 3.08?

5. problems with Dinkumware STL lib for WinCE

6. problems with Dinkumware STL lib for WinCE

7. STL compiler errors in MSVC6.0

8. MSVC STL Error filter updated

9. Slightly OT: VC++6, Dikumware 3.08 and Stingray

10. Dinkum 3.08, VC6, and use_facet

11. Dinkum 3.08 and use_facet

12. Dinkum 3.08 and autoexp.dat