CStatic drawing problem
Author Message
 CStatic drawing problem

I am having an odd problem.  I am using CFormView for the main view of my app.
In it I have many static text variables that change depending on what has been
pressed.. also there are two showing the current date and time.
The odd part is.. when i run the app.. the date and time static texts show on the
formview, as do many others, but there are a few that will not show up.  I have
done runtime debugging, and these CStatic variables are visible, enabled, and
seem to be working properly except that they are not showing themselves when a
redraw is done.
I also added a static bmp to the formview, but it also will not appear.
I just don't understand why some of them will show and others won't.
I think their respective drawing methods are being executed properly(i am NOT
overloading them), but they just refuse to show up.
Can anyone help with this odd problem?

thanks,

Michael

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:41:54 GMT
 CStatic drawing problem

Quote:
>The odd part is.. when i run the app.. the date and time static texts show on the
>formview, as do many others, but there are a few that will not show up.

Michael,

Do you position these controls programmatically? Are they on the
visible area of the parent window?

If you examine your application with Spy++, that may help you identify
what's wrong.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:45:16 GMT
 CStatic drawing problem
I am positioning the controls using the dialog resource editor and the program
never changes their positions.  And yes, they are in the visible area of the
window.
Unfortunately, I am programming under Windows CE right now, and running the app
on an emulator, therefore spy++ won't work until i get the actual hardware to
download my program to.

any other suggestions?
thanks for the response, Dave.

Michael

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 03:14:36 GMT
 CStatic drawing problem

Quote:
>I am positioning the controls using the dialog resource editor and the program
>never changes their positions.  And yes, they are in the visible area of the
>window.
>Unfortunately, I am programming under Windows CE right now, and running the app
>on an emulator, therefore spy++ won't work until i get the actual hardware to
>download my program to.

>any other suggestions?

Ah, the CE emulator! I believe it doesn't always work the same way as
the devices themselves, and CE isn't quite the same as desktop
Windows. Are the controls in a group box perhaps? Does an equivalent
desktop Windows program work correctly?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:10:57 GMT
 CStatic drawing problem
Dave--

i have not tried it in a regular version.. i have to reboot my laptop to get to
my win 98 side.. to much trouble today while i have other stuff to work on.

But you are correct in guessing that they are in a group box.  I thought about it
might be the z order in which they are drawn and could possibly be covered up,
but then again.. i don't know if that really matters nor would i know how to
control it.

thank you
Michael

Quote:
>I am positioning the controls using the dialog resource editor and the program
>never changes their positions.  And yes, they are in the visible area of the
>window.
>Unfortunately, I am programming under Windows CE right now, and running the app
>on an emulator, therefore spy++ won't work until i get the actual hardware to
>download my program to.

>any other suggestions?

Ah, the CE emulator! I believe it doesn't always work the same way as
the devices themselves, and CE isn't quite the same as desktop
Windows. Are the controls in a group box perhaps? Does an equivalent
desktop Windows program work correctly?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
.

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:25:17 GMT
 CStatic drawing problem

Quote:
>i have not tried it in a regular version.. i have to reboot my laptop to get to
>my win 98 side.. to much trouble today while i have other stuff to work on.

>But you are correct in guessing that they are in a group box.  I thought about it
>might be the z order in which they are drawn and could possibly be covered up,
>but then again.. i don't know if that really matters nor would i know how to
>control it.

Michael,

I think that's the problem then. Much to my amazement when I played
with developing a UI for CE, the group boxes in CE don't appear to be
transparent as they are in normal Windows - at least they weren't in
the emulator (which was all I had to try).

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:11:31 GMT

1. CStatic drawing problem...

2. Print drawing from a CStatic object in a dialogue box

3. draw in a CStatic control in dialogue box

4. "Owner draw" CStatic Control

5. Owner-draw CStatic

6. drawing a bitmap in a CStatic

7. Manually drawing a CStatic goes past the clipping boundary

8. Owner Draw ComboBox - CompareItem problem - Sort Problem

9. CImage and CStatic - (StretchBlt) Problem

10. CStatic: m_Static.Create <Text Color Problem>

11. PLEASE HELP: CStatic.SetBitmap Problem

12. Problem with CStatic