cant add > 255 objects to dialog
Author Message
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog

Is there a way to get VC++ to allow more than 255 objects on a dialog?
I can add >255 if I open *.rc in text mode and add them manually, but the
resource editor won't let me add them the easy way.

Randy

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:52:54 GMT
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog
This is a limitation. You can't insert more than 255 objects in the
resource editor.
Another way you can choose is creating them dynamically.

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:15:44 GMT
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog
Putting that many objects on a dialog can be a real strain on system
resources, even on NT. Whenever I find myself in this kind of spot, I start
asking myself if the design is maybe the problem.

Quote:

> Is there a way to get VC++ to allow more than 255 objects on a dialog?
> I can add >255 if I open *.rc in text mode and add them manually, but the
> resource editor won't let me add them the easy way.

Jim [VC/MFC MVP]
To send mail, change spam-me-not to msn

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:39:15 GMT
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog
You might try creating multiple modeless dialogs.

Quote:
> Putting that many objects on a dialog can be a real strain on system
> resources, even on NT. Whenever I find myself in this kind of spot, I
start
> asking myself if the design is maybe the problem.

> > Is there a way to get VC++ to allow more than 255 objects on a dialog?
> > I can add >255 if I open *.rc in text mode and add them manually, but
the
> > resource editor won't let me add them the easy way.

> Jim [VC/MFC MVP]
> To send mail, change spam-me-not to msn

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:40:40 GMT
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog
Or a tabbed dialog, like with a propoerty sheet...

Dave Smith

Quote:
> You might try creating multiple modeless dialogs.

> > Putting that many objects on a dialog can be a real strain on system
> > resources, even on NT. Whenever I find myself in this kind of spot, I
> start
> > asking myself if the design is maybe the problem.

> > > Is there a way to get VC++ to allow more than 255 objects on a dialog?
> > > I can add >255 if I open *.rc in text mode and add them manually, but
> the
> > > resource editor won't let me add them the easy way.

> > Jim [VC/MFC MVP]
> > To send mail, change spam-me-not to msn

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:13:44 GMT
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog
I agree with Jim, rethink your design.

My 2c
Drew

Quote:
> Putting that many objects on a dialog can be a real strain on system
> resources, even on NT. Whenever I find myself in this kind of spot, I
start
> asking myself if the design is maybe the problem.

> > Is there a way to get VC++ to allow more than 255 objects on a dialog?
> > I can add >255 if I open *.rc in text mode and add them manually, but
the
> > resource editor won't let me add them the easy way.

> Jim [VC/MFC MVP]
> To send mail, change spam-me-not to msn

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 06:00:15 GMT
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog
I agree any design with 200+ element is very taxing for the user, as well as the
system.
The problem came up by creating an ADO DB app from an Access data base that has
138 fields in a table.  VC++ created the CRsCgDlg Dialog automatically and
included a Static Text AND an Edit Box for each Field.
THAT's how I ended up with more than 255 elements.  Then when I went to add
Navigation controls, I had to add them manually through the text *.rc file.

I just thought maybe there was a setting I could change in Visual Studio in the
future.

Thanks,
Randy

Quote:
Or a tabbed dialog, like with a propoerty sheet...

Dave Smith

> You might try creating multiple modeless dialogs.

> > Putting that many objects on a dialog can be a real strain on system
> > resources, even on NT. Whenever I find myself in this kind of spot, I
> start
> > asking myself if the design is maybe the problem.

> > > Is there a way to get VC++ to allow more than 255 objects on a dialog?
> > > I can add >255 if I open *.rc in text mode and add them manually, but
> the
> > > resource editor won't let me add them the easy way.

> > Jim [VC/MFC MVP]
> > To send mail, change spam-me-not to msn

.

Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:38:18 GMT
 cant add > 255 objects to dialog
Bleeech.  138 fields in a table? Can anybody say "normalization?"

Same principle here--a table with that many colums says something important
about the database designer's qualifications.

As to your generated form--think about breaking it up into a property-page
like arrangement. There are bound to be some of those fields that logically
separate into groups.

Jim

Quote:

> I agree any design with 200+ element is very taxing for the user, as well as the
> system.
> The problem came up by creating an ADO DB app from an Access data base that has
> 138 fields in a table.  VC++ created the CRsCgDlg Dialog automatically and
> included a Static Text AND an Edit Box for each Field.
> THAT's how I ended up with more than 255 elements.  Then when I went to add
> Navigation controls, I had to add them manually through the text *.rc file.

> I just thought maybe there was a setting I could change in Visual Studio in the
> future.

> Thanks,
> Randy

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:35:03 GMT

1. Is there way to call SNMP API with 255.255.255.255

2. Is there way to call SNMP API with 255.255.255.255

3. Is there way to call SNMP API with 255.255.255.255

4. Max 255 objects in a Dialog

5. Passing parameter with size >255 chars to sqlserver 6.5

6. Debuggins strings > 255 characters

7. List box items >255 pixels

8. cant add ref to remote object

9. Dialog problem with only 255 elements

10. CArray of objects - cant "Add" new objects - cant convert from class CMyClass to class CMyClass

11. > 255 controls in dialog?

12. > 255 controls in dialog?