academic version 
Author Message
 academic version

I was just over on EBay and saw Visual C++ 6.0 for as little as $27.00.
Looking further down the page I see that these versions although specified
as Professional have the word academic attached. Any one know what this
means?
--
In Memory: http://www.*-*-*.com/
URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/
URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version
    Academic Versions have some limitations to be sure what they are check
Microsoft's site on the product
    Jacques
Quote:

>I was just over on EBay and saw Visual C++ 6.0 for as little as $27.00.
>Looking further down the page I see that these versions although specified
>as Professional have the word academic attached. Any one know what this
>means?
>--
>In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
>URL: http://otool.server101.com/
>URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/




Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version

It probably means that the persons holding the auctions are in violation of
the law.

Quote:

>I was just over on EBay and saw Visual C++ 6.0 for as little as $27.00.
>Looking further down the page I see that these versions although specified
>as Professional have the word academic attached. Any one know what this
>means?
>--
>In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
>URL: http://otool.server101.com/
>URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/




Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version
Want to expound on that?

--
In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
URL: http://otool.server101.com/
URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/



Quote:

>It probably means that the persons holding the auctions are in violation of
>the law.


>>I was just over on EBay and saw Visual C++ 6.0 for as little as $27.00.
>>Looking further down the page I see that these versions although specified
>>as Professional have the word academic attached. Any one know what this
>>means?
>>--
>>In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
>>URL: http://otool.server101.com/
>>URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/




Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version
Hi,

Yes, the most important limitation is: "you are not allowed to distribute an
application written with the academic version"! So basically it is only to
learn the language you are not allowed to write programs for someone else.

Instead you could use the "standard" = "learning" edition. You are allowed
to distribute programs produced by it. however it lacks "apllication shield
wizzard" and database functionality and optimization.

The professional edition lacks database functionality.

The enterprise edition has it all and, as the name implies can only be
afforded by enterprises :-).


Quote:

>I was just over on EBay and saw Visual C++ 6.0 for as little as $27.00.
>Looking further down the page I see that these versions although specified
>as Professional have the word academic attached. Any one know what this
>means?
>--
>In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
>URL: http://otool.server101.com/
>URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/




Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version
As the proud owner of a VC++ 6.0 Pro Academic edition... (although I spent a
bit more than $27... more like UKP120 ~= $200)...

1. you have to be a student/lecturer/teacher etc currently in education. The
box I bought contained a form that I had to get my tutor to sign, and then I
sent it off to MS.

2. just checking my license, no where does it say that I can't sell any
software that I produce using 'the software'

3. it has no restrictions in software - the CDs I get are the same as the
full price ones (although I got the VJ++ Tech Preview 2 sent (this was only
a couple of weeks ago) - when I called MS Education they said that they were
working on it and would send me VJ6 "when we hear more". I guess its because
of the Sun case.

Anyway, the guy selling it may be breaking the law, but only if the box
contains any VS CDs. Otherwise I don't think he is under any obligation to
check that he is selling an application form to a student/lecturer...

I'm not sure that we get the same support though... the license is pretty
vague on that. One other thing, any one person can hold only one of:

Student Developer Tools License (the one with VS)
Student OS Licence (for Win98 or NT)
Student Office Licence
Student Publisher Licence

Its a pretty good deal really. :)

I think thats all the info...

Michael

--------------------------------------------------
Michael Hall
<mjh43 at cam.ac.uk>
Fitzwilliam College
Cambridge, CB3 0DG
-------- http://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/~mjh43 --------



Quote:
>I was just over on EBay and saw Visual C++ 6.0 for as little as $27.00.
>Looking further down the page I see that these versions although specified
>as Professional have the word academic attached. Any one know what this
>means?
>--
>In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
>URL: http://otool.server101.com/
>URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/




Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version

Quote:

> As the proud owner of a VC++ 6.0 Pro Academic edition... (although I spent a
> bit more than $27... more like UKP120 ~= $200)...

List price in the US for Academic Price on Pro is $99.

Quote:

> 2. just checking my license, no where does it say that I can't sell any
> software that I produce using 'the software'

That is correct.  You're free to do what you want with it.  That
restriction
is peculiar to the LEARNING EDITION.

Quote:

> Anyway, the guy selling it may be breaking the law, but only if the box
> contains any VS CDs. Otherwise I don't think he is under any obligation to
> check that he is selling an application form to a student/lecturer...

Once you buy it, you're free to resell it after some period (I think 6
months)
for whatever you get for it.  Still, I find lots of piracy on EBAY, so
I'd be
very, very, leary of software I bought there.


Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version
At http://www.microsoft.com/education/pricing/elig.htm , the guidelines for
academic pricing of Microsoft software are spelled out.  It is stated that
the reseller must validate customer eligibility via collection of photo IDs.
You can see the web page for more details on customer eligibility and
reseller requirements.

I don't see any evidence that the sellers of academic editions on eBay are
following this practice, but someone might be able to correct me on that
point.

// -------------------------------------------------------------------------
// andrew brown

// -------------------------------------------------------------------------



Quote:
>Want to expound on that?

>--
>In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
>URL: http://otool.server101.com/
>URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/



>>It probably means that the persons holding the auctions are in violation
of
>>the law.


>>>I was just over on EBay and saw Visual C++ 6.0 for as little as $27.00.
>>>Looking further down the page I see that these versions although
specified
>>>as Professional have the word academic attached. Any one know what this
>>>means?
>>>--
>>>In Memory: http://otool.server101.com/inmemory.htm
>>>URL: http://otool.server101.com/
>>>URL: http://otool.hypermart.net/




Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version
I have the professional edition VC++ 6
I can't find anywhere
<"you are not allowed to distribute an application written with the academic
version">
I think borland has a rule like that

<The professional edition lacks database functionality.>
wrong

<The enterprise edition has it all and, as the name implies can only be
afforded by enterprises>

you can get the academic version of the enterprise edition (299.00)



Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 academic version

  Well,
  I bought an identical (Microsoft Visual Studio) 5 CD - ROM package from
  the on-campus store here for $25.00. One thing that does not come with
  the 'Professional academic' version is Visual J++ 6.0.  


(cleared to save space ...)



Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Error in Academic Version of Visual Studio.NET

2. academic version 6.0

3. academic version

4. academic version

5. Academic version

6. academic version 6.0

7. academic version 6.0

8. academic version

9. Academic versions of Visual C++

10. academic version 6.0

11. Using C# in Academic environment

12. ACADEMIC SURVEY: Questionnaire for a NEW CASE TOOL

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software