Resource DLL -> Resource.h
Author Message
 Resource DLL -> Resource.h

Hi,
    I have moved the resource file for my program into a resource DLL, and
load the resources in the main exe with LoadLibrary/AfxSetResourceHandle.
But what should I do about resource.h ?  As I make changes to the resources
in the DLL, the resource.h file will change.  The .exe needs to access the
current resource.h so it knows what the IDs are.  Do I copy the resource.h
file from the DLL project to the exe project every time I make a change, or
is there a better way?

Thanks,
Dave

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:42:19 GMT
 Resource DLL -> Resource.h
Hi,

The easier way is to configure the path of your resource dll's resource.h in
Tools -> Options -> Include files.

That way, if you do a #include <resource.h>, the compiler will
pick it up from your resource dll's folder.

Avoid having multiple copies of the same files in different project.

Maintenance nightmare!!

Sundari.

Quote:
> Hi,
>     I have moved the resource file for my program into a resource DLL, and
> load the resources in the main exe with LoadLibrary/AfxSetResourceHandle.
> But what should I do about resource.h ?  As I make changes to the
resources
> in the DLL, the resource.h file will change.  The .exe needs to access the
> current resource.h so it knows what the IDs are.  Do I copy the resource.h
> file from the DLL project to the exe project every time I make a change,
or
> is there a better way?

> Thanks,
> Dave

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:00:24 GMT
 Resource DLL -> Resource.h
What if I want to include a different resource.h file depending on the
resource DLL I want to bind to the source?

Thanks,
Dave

Quote:
> Hi,

> The easier way is to configure the path of your resource dll's resource.h
in
> Tools -> Options -> Include files.

> That way, if you do a #include <resource.h>, the compiler will
> pick it up from your resource dll's folder.

> Avoid having multiple copies of the same files in different project.

> Maintenance nightmare!!

> Sundari.

> > Hi,
> >     I have moved the resource file for my program into a resource DLL,
and
> > load the resources in the main exe with

LoadLibrary/AfxSetResourceHandle.

> > But what should I do about resource.h ?  As I make changes to the
> resources
> > in the DLL, the resource.h file will change.  The .exe needs to access
the
> > current resource.h so it knows what the IDs are.  Do I copy the
resource.h
> > file from the DLL project to the exe project every time I make a change,
> or
> > is there a better way?

> > Thanks,
> > Dave

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:31:30 GMT
 Resource DLL -> Resource.h

says...

Quote:
> What if I want to include a different resource.h file depending on the
> resource DLL I want to bind to the source?

What . . . like multiple "resource plug-in DLLs" that all have different
versions of the same resources? I.e., they might all have a dialog
template with ID 157, but the dialog would vary, depending on which DLL
is used?

Basically, I'd say that the resource.h belongs to the Exe.  It's the one
that will be referring to the resources, and you'll want to hard-code
the ID macros.  Let all of your DLLs point to the resource.h in your
exe's project directory.

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:00:45 GMT

1. MFCApp ->Dll ext->Dll Ext (Dialog) resource handling

2. How to find out amount of free resources (gdi resources, handles, system resources)

3. How to update resources from a resource DLL?

4. Delete DLL Resource => Memory Leak

5. Delete DLL Resource => Memory Leak

6. Use of Resource file versus embedding a resource

7. Still a problem with resource .rc files resource identifier

8. Manual mod of string resource ids causes failed resource load

9. Resources and resource symbols

10. Resources and resource symbols

11. Problem inlcuding a multi language resource in another resource

12. Borland style resource to VC++ resource converter