VC++5: Creating library .\Debug/Test.lib and object .\Debug/Test.exp
Author Message
 VC++5: Creating library .\Debug/Test.lib and object .\Debug/Test.exp

Hello David!

These files (*.lib and *.exp) are created since you were building a DLL. As
a DLL is not a real executable the linker of the executable that uses the
created the DLLs needs the entry-points for that DLL. For example you
create a MFC Regular DLL which exports a functions. When you build the DLL
the linker will create the DLL, the LIB and the EXP files. The DLL file is
the DLL itself and the LIB file is used by the executable that imports the
DLL's functions. You have to specify the path of that LIB in the executable
so that the linker is able to find the entry-points for the functions in
that DLL.
So it is absolutely normal that your linker creates the mentioned files.
Only if you create an EXE file the linker won't create the LIB and EXP
files.

Bye

Wolfgang Bardorf

Quote:
> What are these files it is creating!? And why do they only get created
> sometimes!? I looked in the help for exp but it did not explain it well!?
> I don't remember having to wait for this in VC++4, and it does take a
long
> time.

> ---------------
> Linking...
>    Creating library .\Debug/Test.lib and object .\Debug/Test.exp
> ---------------

> Thanks!

> David A Henry

Sat, 01 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++5: Creating library .\Debug/Test.lib and object .\Debug/Test.exp

That does clear up a lot but I am not making a DLL!? I am just making a
normal EXE!? I think I am anyway!? I get an executable which I can run as
the end result anyway!? Why would it think I am making a DLL!?

Is there some configuration thing which I might have switched by accedent?

Thanks for your help.

David A Henry

Quote:
> These files (*.lib and *.exp) are created since you were building a DLL. As
> a DLL is not a real executable the linker of the executable that uses the
> created the DLLs needs the entry-points for that DLL. For example you
> create a MFC Regular DLL which exports a functions. When you build the DLL
> the linker will create the DLL, the LIB and the EXP files. The DLL file is
> the DLL itself and the LIB file is used by the executable that imports the
> DLL's functions. You have to specify the path of that LIB in the executable
> so that the linker is able to find the entry-points for the functions in
> that DLL.
> So it is absolutely normal that your linker creates the mentioned files.
> Only if you create an EXE file the linker won't create the LIB and EXP
> files.

> Bye

> Wolfgang Bardorf

> > What are these files it is creating!? And why do they only get created
> > sometimes!? I looked in the help for exp but it did not explain it well!?
> > I don't remember having to wait for this in VC++4, and it does take a
> long
> > time.

> > ---------------
> > Linking...
> >       Creating library .\Debug/Test.lib and object .\Debug/Test.exp
> > ---------------

> > Thanks!

> > David A Henry

Sun, 02 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Debugging of test project and MTS objects?

2. test test test test

3. test...test...test

4. Test to debug Outlook Express Problem

5. debug build testing

6. debugging out-of-proc ATL server from VB test client

7. ATL how to debug or test in EVC

8. Problem testing app in debug mode

9. .Net Object Persistence Library Beta test

10. Debug build fine, release crashes unless we link with debug Multi-Threaded library

11. Debug Assertion Failed in Microsoft Visual C++ v5.0 Debug Library

12. Linking to debug and non-debug CRT libraries.