Programmatically making a program automatically run when Windows is started
Author Message
 Programmatically making a program automatically run when Windows is started

Hello,

I want to make my MFC program run when Windows is started.
I suppose I could have the program create a shortcut to
itself in the 'Startup' folder, but I want the user to
have the option of turning the 'autorun' feature on and off.
Creating and deleting shortcuts seems like an icky way of
doing this. Is there a better way?

Thanks!
peter

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Programmatically making a program automatically run when Windows is started
Add an entry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

--
Girish Bharadwaj [mvp/vc++]
Please do not directly email me. Post them here.

Quote:
>Hello,

>I want to make my MFC program run when Windows is started.
>I suppose I could have the program create a shortcut to
>itself in the 'Startup' folder, but I want the user to
>have the option of turning the 'autorun' feature on and off.
>Creating and deleting shortcuts seems like an icky way of
>doing this. Is there a better way?

>Thanks!
>peter

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Programmatically making a program automatically run when Windows is started
Simply type "regedit" in "Run" item of "start menu".
Quote:

>Where is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ?  Where is  the registry ?
>I  can not find it through Window Explorer.

Sat, 26 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Programmatically making a program automatically run when Windows is started

Quote:
>Where is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ?  Where is  the registry ?
>I  can not find it through Window Explorer.

Type REGEDIT from your command line. Be very careful not to touch
what's there unless you know what you are doing.
__
ashier

Sat, 26 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. A DOS program starting a Windows program?

2. Starting a CMD and making sure it is not started twice

3. DBX makes program run?

4. Make an app auto run after Windows starts up

5. Make an app auto run after Windows starts up

6. Making a list of running programs

7. I am new to programming and am lost

8. Making windows games - Randomising my program?

9. Making an MFC program persistent w/o Windows or dialogs

10. Making windows games - Randomising my program?

11. Getting started in windows programming

12. Make a C program start before windows?