Link Incrementally Bug?!?!?
Author Message
 Link Incrementally Bug?!?!?

In my project I have no OLE controls.  The only odd thing I have (which
is not that odd) is a CDateTime control (the little date thingy.)

When I compile my MFC project's "Debug" configuration after a "Clean" I
get no linker errors at all.  (Debug has "Link Incrementally" turned
on.)

When I compile my MFC project's "Release" configuration after a "Clean"
I get the folloing two linker warnings:  (Release has "Link
Incrementally" turned off.)

      LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "OLEAUT32.dll"
      discarded by /OPT:REF

      LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "ole32.dll"
      discarded by /OPT:REF

If I turn on "Link Incrementally" in "Release", this warning goes away.

Is this strange, or normal?  Should I be worried?

Thanks,
  Sanford

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:48:49 GMT
 Link Incrementally Bug?!?!?
It's normal.  Don't worry.  As an optimization in release builds, any references
which aren't used are discarded.  If they were never added, they need not be
discarded.

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:15:01 GMT
 Link Incrementally Bug?!?!?

Quote:

> It's normal.  Don't worry.  As an optimization in release builds, any
> references
> which aren't used are discarded.  If they were never added, they need not be
> discarded.

Proving, yet again, how cool all the people who read this newsgroup
are.  :-)

Thanks!!

Best,
  Sanford

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:08:04 GMT

1. Incrementally link not working!

2. Link incrementally

3. About "Link incrementally"

4. Incremental linker quit incrementally linking

5. linking problem (link bug?)

6. C++ link error bug?

7. Link bug?

8. Linking bug in MSVC 5.0

9. VC++ 5.0 BUG: const variable has external link.

10. how can I fix this linked bug ?

11. Linking bug in MSVC 5.0

12. VC++ 5.0 BUG: const variable has external link.