create DLL with resources on the fly?
Author Message
 create DLL with resources on the fly?

I have a need to be able to create a resource-only DLL from my application
at run time, and add icon and stringtable resources.  I'd prefer not to dig
into the PE format and roll my own.

I understand that the Win32 resource calls for writing resources will only
work in NT/2000, but I need a solution for all Win32 versions.

Is there an SDK or toolkit available for this?

Thanks,

Don Metzler

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:16:53 GMT
 create DLL with resources on the fly?

Quote:
> I have a need to be able to create a resource-only DLL from my
application
> at run time, and add icon and stringtable resources.  I'd prefer not
to dig
> into the PE format and roll my own.

> I understand that the Win32 resource calls for writing resources will
only
> work in NT/2000, but I need a solution for all Win32 versions.

> Is there an SDK or toolkit available for this?

> Thanks,

> Don Metzler

I have done something similar. What I did was create a skeleton
DLL with no resources and then manipluate the resulting PE file
with the Win32 APIs. Some of the resource routines did not work
quite the way I expected, but it was not hard to sort this out.

HTH
Standard disclaimers apply

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 01:08:21 GMT
 create DLL with resources on the fly?
Don,

Study the source for IconJack32 - it includes a routine that writes a
bunch of icons to a resource-only NE (16-bit) DLL. I shudder to think
what it would take to create a PE file, though...

- Neil

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:58:28 GMT
 create DLL with resources on the fly?

Thanks, Neil!

Don

Quote:
> Don,

> Study the source for IconJack32 - it includes a routine that writes a
> bunch of icons to a resource-only NE (16-bit) DLL. I shudder to think
> what it would take to create a PE file, though...

> - Neil

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:25:48 GMT

1. Change resource on the fly

2. Creating a dialog from a resource template in Win32 dll

3. How do i create a resource dll ??

4. Creating a Resource DLL

5. Create dialog in DLL from resource?

6. Q: create a toolbar from a resource in another dll

7. Creating a DLL as a Resource

8. I need to Create a DLL Resource, HOW?

9. Creating a resource DLL in VC++ and calling from VB5

10. Create/Use a resource-only DLL with MFC

11. Creating resource DLL in VC++ 1.52: info needed

12. Creating database on the fly?