Struggling Newbie:, Creating a dialog-based application from AppWizard
Author Message
 Struggling Newbie:, Creating a dialog-based application from AppWizard

    Take a look at the CFormView MFC class and examples on how to use them.

--
Cheers
Check Abdoul

Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> I'm a long-serving VB developer who has decided to take the plunge
> into Visual C++ with MFC. I have some C++ experience, but evidently
> not enough!

> As a learning exercise I am trying to rewrite a VB app in VB. The app
> itself is on my website at
> www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Software/BCU_Intro.html - and more
> importantly, so are some screen shots.

> I am probably mis-using the AppWizard process, but what I want is
> something that does the following:

> 1) Skeleton generated by the AppWizard
> 2) Ability to modify using ClassWizard
> 3) Dialog-based application
> 4) Menu and Toolbar
> 5) No support for documents (they are not required).

> I have tried every combination I can think of. If I go for a
> Dialog-based App then I don't get menus and toolbars and a statusbar;
> If I go with a SDI-based application then I get support for documents,
> MRU-list etc, which I do not need. And if I go with the SDI option and
> untick the "Doc/View Architecture Support" option then I get the menu
> when I run it, but no dialog on which to draw my buttons etc.

> Coming from VB logic I'm probably looking at things the wrong way. I
> have read Ivor Horton's "Beginning Visual C++" and I'm a little
> clearer but still struggling. Obviously I realise I need to code a lot
> myself, but I need to start from a good framework.

> Can anybody *please* point me in the right direction? Either suggest a
> good book for what I'm after, or some websites, or how to use
> AppWizard properly.

> Many thanks for your time,

> Jim Willsher

> PS Visual Studio 6, SP5, Windows XP.

> Jim Willsher

> Homepages at http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:32:29 GMT
 Struggling Newbie:, Creating a dialog-based application from AppWizard

Quote:

> Hi everyone,

> I'm a long-serving VB developer who has decided to take the plunge
> into Visual C++ with MFC. I have some C++ experience, but evidently
> not enough!

> As a learning exercise I am trying to rewrite a VB app in VB. The app
> itself is on my website at
> www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Software/BCU_Intro.html - and more
> importantly, so are some screen shots.

> I am probably mis-using the AppWizard process, but what I want is
> something that does the following:

> 1) Skeleton generated by the AppWizard
> 2) Ability to modify using ClassWizard
> 3) Dialog-based application
> 4) Menu and Toolbar
> 5) No support for documents (they are not required).

> I have tried every combination I can think of. If I go for a
> Dialog-based App then I don't get menus and toolbars and a statusbar;
> If I go with a SDI-based application then I get support for documents,
> MRU-list etc, which I do not need. And if I go with the SDI option and
> untick the "Doc/View Architecture Support" option then I get the menu
> when I run it, but no dialog on which to draw my buttons etc.

> Coming from VB logic I'm probably looking at things the wrong way. I
> have read Ivor Horton's "Beginning Visual C++" and I'm a little
> clearer but still struggling. Obviously I realise I need to code a lot
> myself, but I need to start from a good framework.

> Can anybody *please* point me in the right direction? Either suggest a
> good book for what I'm after, or some websites, or how to use
> AppWizard properly.

> Many thanks for your time,

> Jim Willsher

> PS Visual Studio 6, SP5, Windows XP.

> Jim Willsher

> Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

Hi Jim,

I saw the screenshots of your VB application and I think a dialog-based
application is really the way to go for your situation. You can add a
menu and toolbar to a dialog, so that's no problem.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ruben.

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:53:43 GMT

1. Using ActiveX Control in a Dialog-Based AppWizard Application

2. Dialog based application and graphics (newbie)

3. Newbie question on Dialog based application

4. Newbie question: Getting a key pressed in a dialog-based application

5. Newbie question: Getting a key pressed in a dialog-based application

6. Creating Child Windows from menu selections w/Appwizard created applications

7. Need help creating a dialog base application for 1.52

8. creating toolbar on a dialog based application.

9. How to create a Dialog based Application with MainDlg hidden on startup

10. How to create an array of edit boxes in a dialog based application

11. How to create a RESIZABLE DIALOG-Based Application

12. Creating an View from dialog-based application.