news reader app?
Author Message
 news reader app?

Can some kind soul direct me to some of the necsecary. objects needed to
create a news-reader app? Like how  do I connect(CFtpConnection?) How do I
browse the groups ? Any articles/examples/refs. would be gratefully
received.
Thanks

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 news reader app?
Unfortunately, I don't Wininet doesn't support the NNTP protocol (which is
the one used for newsgroups), so I imagine you'll have to roll down your own
solution using sockets. As for what commands you have to use, and how to use
them when communicating with the server, you'll have to read some RFC's.

--
Tomas Restrepo

http://members.xoom.com/trestrep/

Quote:
>Can some kind soul direct me to some of the necsecary. objects needed to
>create a news-reader app? Like how  do I connect(CFtpConnection?) How do I
>browse the groups ? Any articles/examples/refs. would be gratefully
>received.
>Thanks

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 news reader app?
On Sat, 5 Dec 1998 01:20:23 -0600, "grasshopper"

Quote:

>Can some kind soul direct me to some of the necsecary. objects needed to
>create a news-reader app? Like how  do I connect(CFtpConnection?) How do I
>browse the groups ? Any articles/examples/refs. would be gratefully
>received.

I am attempting to write a newsreader myself, and I will warn you that
it is not easy. It's taking far longer than I had expected it to.
Start with easier projects if you can. No, the MFC WinInet classes
won't help you; you will have to do your own socket work.

For coding the newsreader, you will have to read the RFCs (if you
don't know what an RFC is it's definitely time to back up some) for
NNTP, SMTP, and MIME, and find code for UU encoding and decoding.
You might want to look around for the book _Building Internet
Applications With Visual C++_ by Kate Gregory, which demonstrates
several skeletal Internet apps, among them a bare newsreader. It also
includes a CD with example code and all the RFCs through 1835.

And some links to visit:
http://www.program.com/resources/specstan.html
http://www.mibsoftware.com/userkt/nntpext/index.html
http://http.bsd.uchicago.edu/~twpierce/news/newsreader-manifesto.html
http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ejs/gnksa/

If the idea of doing your own socket work disgusts you, there's also
an OCX available that will process Usenet commands for you ($40, or
$129 with source):
http://www.mabry.com/news/

And the invaluable for any MFC project of any sort:
http://www.codeguru.com/

Thu, 24 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 news reader app?
This ought to keep me busy for a while...
Thanks for the help

Fri, 25 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 news reader app?
Thanks for that Pete...
Quote:

>>This ought to keep me busy for a while...
>>Thanks for the help

>grasshopper,

>Also check out the Usenet Article Standard Update (UseFor) Working
>Group Archive at:

>http://www.landfield.com/usefor/

>One very useful reference that's not an RFC is Son-of-1036, which is
>referenced at this site.  A useful learning tool for finding out how
>the NNTP protocol works is to run telnet, setting local echo ON, and
>connect to your news server.  Instead of using the "telnet" port in
>the connect dialog, type in the number 119 as the port (port number).
>Then you can take RFC 977, which lists the NNTP commands, and type
>them in at the telnet command line to see how they work and
>interactively observe the responses that the server provides.  If your
>news server requires authentication, type in:

>AUTHINFO USER myusername
>AUTHINFO PASS mypassword

>to log on.  If your telnet client supports capturing the server's
>output to a file (like the freeware TeraTerm), you can write your
>routines that parse the server output using these files as input to
>test them initially.

>But the easiest way to write a newsreader by far is to not use MSVC at
>all, but to use C++ Builder, together with the excellent freeware
>"Internet Component Suite" by Francois Piette, located at:

>http://www.rtfm.be/fpiette/icsuk.htm

>It contains a very complete NNTP component that works great and will
>get you up and running quicker than anything.

>Pete

Sat, 26 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. news reader app?

2. Reply news is listed as separate message in my news reader

3. News reader test

4. News Reader Source Code?

5. Opened news reader after a long holiday?

6. HELP for news reader

7. News Reader Source Code?

8. how to create a news reader ?

9. wanted-news reader client sample code

10. HELP for news reader

11. Failure on news reader's search in this forum

12. News Reader Source Code?