getting the length of a text in pixels
Author Message
 getting the length of a text in pixels

Hi,

I want to know if the text i'm gonna put in a CEdit is
gonna be entirely visible... if not I'm gonna put
some '...' before... so I've thinked about checking the
width of the client area of my CEdit and compare it with
the width of the text... so I use getClientRect and I
compare it with the cx field returned by GetTextExtent...

unfortunately it doesn't work because I don't have the
same font as the font in the CEdit when I use
CDC::TextOut... I guess I don't get the good CDC* (because
I've tried to textOut with the CDC* obtained in OnCtlColor
and there I've got the right font...)

Could someone help me to get the right CDC* ???

here's the way I get the CDC* (don't know if it matters
but this is a SDI application)

CDC *pDC;
pDC=GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1)->GetDC();

Thanks,

Sandra

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:23:32 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
Use WM_GETFONT to get the font from the edit control. Select the returned
handle into an available DC and then call GetTextExtent.

HTH

Quote:

> Hi,

> I want to know if the text i'm gonna put in a CEdit is
> gonna be entirely visible... if not I'm gonna put
> some '...' before... so I've thinked about checking the
> width of the client area of my CEdit and compare it with
> the width of the text... so I use getClientRect and I
> compare it with the cx field returned by GetTextExtent...

> unfortunately it doesn't work because I don't have the
> same font as the font in the CEdit when I use
> CDC::TextOut... I guess I don't get the good CDC* (because
> I've tried to textOut with the CDC* obtained in OnCtlColor
> and there I've got the right font...)

> Could someone help me to get the right CDC* ???

> here's the way I get the CDC* (don't know if it matters
> but this is a SDI application)

> CDC *pDC;
> pDC=GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1)->GetDC();

> Thanks,

> Sandra

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:09:48 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
whoops. MFC...
CFont myFont = GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1)->GetFont();
Sorry,
Going back to sleep now.

Quote:
> Use WM_GETFONT to get the font from the edit control. Select the returned
> handle into an available DC and then call GetTextExtent.

> HTH

> > Hi,

> > I want to know if the text i'm gonna put in a CEdit is
> > gonna be entirely visible... if not I'm gonna put
> > some '...' before... so I've thinked about checking the
> > width of the client area of my CEdit and compare it with
> > the width of the text... so I use getClientRect and I
> > compare it with the cx field returned by GetTextExtent...

> > unfortunately it doesn't work because I don't have the
> > same font as the font in the CEdit when I use
> > CDC::TextOut... I guess I don't get the good CDC* (because
> > I've tried to textOut with the CDC* obtained in OnCtlColor
> > and there I've got the right font...)

> > Could someone help me to get the right CDC* ???

> > here's the way I get the CDC* (don't know if it matters
> > but this is a SDI application)

> > CDC *pDC;
> > pDC=GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1)->GetDC();

> > Thanks,

> > Sandra

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:22:33 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
Ignore GetDlgItem. Create a control variable, for example, c_MyEditControl. Then do
        CClientDC dc(&c_MyEditControl);
        CSize sz = dc.GetTextExtent(s);
Getting a DC will get a DC with the correct font already selected into it.
                        joe

Quote:

>whoops. MFC...
>CFont myFont = GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1)->GetFont();
>Sorry,
>Going back to sleep now.

>> Use WM_GETFONT to get the font from the edit control. Select the returned
>> handle into an available DC and then call GetTextExtent.

>> HTH

>> > Hi,

>> > I want to know if the text i'm gonna put in a CEdit is
>> > gonna be entirely visible... if not I'm gonna put
>> > some '...' before... so I've thinked about checking the
>> > width of the client area of my CEdit and compare it with
>> > the width of the text... so I use getClientRect and I
>> > compare it with the cx field returned by GetTextExtent...

>> > unfortunately it doesn't work because I don't have the
>> > same font as the font in the CEdit when I use
>> > CDC::TextOut... I guess I don't get the good CDC* (because
>> > I've tried to textOut with the CDC* obtained in OnCtlColor
>> > and there I've got the right font...)

>> > Could someone help me to get the right CDC* ???

>> > here's the way I get the CDC* (don't know if it matters
>> > but this is a SDI application)

>> > CDC *pDC;
>> > pDC=GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1)->GetDC();

>> > Thanks,

>> > Sandra

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:11:25 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels

I've tried but I doesn't work... do you have an other
idea ?

Quote:

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:44:08 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
That's surprising, unless you made the usual error of setting a font by using a locally
scoped font, e.g.,
        CFont f;
        f.CreateFont(...) // or CreateFontIndirect
        c_Edit.SelectFont(&f);
which will always fail to use the font because it is destroyed when f goes out of scope.
You could also try expicitly selecting the font into the DC to see if that works.
                        joe

Quote:

>I've tried but I doesn't work... do you have an other
>idea ?

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:37:02 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
in fact, i didn't choose any font, i'm using the font by
default... so it should work.. I really don't understand...
why does it work with de CDC* in onCtlColor and why it
doesn't work when i use the one that i get by
CClientDC ??!! it's really confusing... anyway, thanks for
havin' spending time to reply :)

Sandra

Quote:

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:49:47 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
uhmm... what i've meant by it works in OnCtlColor was that
when i use textOut i've got the same font as in the
CEdit... (but a call to gettextextent doesn't work...)

I've tried to set a font as you said:
        CFont f;
        f.CreateFont(...) // or CreateFontIndirect
        c_Edit.SetFont(&f);

but the result of gettextextent is weird... because when
it takes all the width of the CEdit i have got a big
difference between two different fonts...

I've also thinked of a mistake with the logical units but
the cdc is well mapped with MM_TEXT ( 1 logical unit = 1
pixel )

>in fact, i didn't choose any font, i'm using the font by
>default... so it should work.. I really don't
understand...
>why does it work with de CDC* in onCtlColor and why it
>doesn't work when i use the one that i get by
>CClientDC ??!! it's really confusing... anyway, thanks
for
>havin' spending time to reply :)

>Sandra

message

>CEdit
>>>is
>checking
>>>the
>it
>>>with
>and I
>>>GetTextExtent...

have
>>>the
>>>(because
>>>OnCtlColor

>>>matters

>y comer/mvp_tips.htm

>>Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

>>Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer
>>MVP Tips: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer/mvp_tips.htm
>>.

>.

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:42:54 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
Actually, I was pointing out that code of the type I show is incorrect and is an example
of a common mistake. You need to have the font variable in a class so that it is as
long-lived as the control. I usually put it in the derived CEdit class, create it in the
constructor, and assign it in the PreSubclassWindow method.
                                joe

Quote:

>uhmm... what i've meant by it works in OnCtlColor was that
>when i use textOut i've got the same font as in the
>CEdit... (but a call to gettextextent doesn't work...)

>I've tried to set a font as you said:
>    CFont f;
>    f.CreateFont(...) // or CreateFontIndirect
>    c_Edit.SetFont(&f);

>but the result of gettextextent is weird... because when
>it takes all the width of the CEdit i have got a big
>difference between two different fonts...

>I've also thinked of a mistake with the logical units but
>the cdc is well mapped with MM_TEXT ( 1 logical unit = 1
>pixel )

>>in fact, i didn't choose any font, i'm using the font by
>>default... so it should work.. I really don't
>understand...
>>why does it work with de CDC* in onCtlColor and why it
>>doesn't work when i use the one that i get by
>>CClientDC ??!! it's really confusing... anyway, thanks
>for
>>havin' spending time to reply :)

>>Sandra

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:33:12 GMT
 getting the length of a text in pixels
I tried the code to be sure that I've got the same font...
and I didn't make the mistake because the font variable is
declared in my class... but it doesn't change anything ,
even with the good font I've got some weird results
because I've tried two different fonts and textextent
doesn't seem to give the good width... and that's what i
don't understand... I think I've got to find an other idea
to know if the text that I want to set in a cedit is
totally visible or not...

                                            Sandra

Quote:

{ w o ,|rq ,R"D3  e in
Quote:
>>message

>>>CEdit
put

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:51:03 GMT

1. Determining text length in pixels

2. Scrolling text, pixel by pixel in a RichEditView

3. Finding string length in pixels

4. Length of a string in Pixels

5. CRichEdit length in pixels

6. Length of a string in pixels or other

7. get string length in terms of pixel

8. MS FlexGrid: SetColWidth( length in pixel )

9. Get length of string in pixels

10. pixel to normal length

11. Getting The Current Screen Resoultion In Pixels?

12. Getting Pixels From Bitmaps