How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?
Author Message
 How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?

How does the IE4 web browser SHDOCVW.DLL select
the appropriate ActiveX document server given an
ActiveX document? Is it based on CLSID or file extension?

In my experience, the web browser properly identifies
the server for documents on the local hard drive, but
fails to identify the server for documents downloaded
from a web server. This problem exists even when
the doucment is in a "compound file" and thus
should self-identify itself.

Thank you,
Bill Anderson
--
--------------

Elements Research                     http://www.*-*-*.com/
8727 Ellington Park Dr.                    Tel: 704-543-9180
C{*filter*}te, NC 28277-4680

Mon, 05 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?

Quote:

>How does the IE4 web browser SHDOCVW.DLL select
>the appropriate ActiveX document server given an
>ActiveX document? Is it based on CLSID or file extension?

It is one or the other - if the file is a structured storage, then it will
check to see if it has a class set. the CLSID can be set on a structured
storage sort of like an extended attribute. Failing that, it uses the file
extension.

Quote:
>In my experience, the web browser properly identifies
>the server for documents on the local hard drive, but
>fails to identify the server for documents downloaded
>from a web server. This problem exists even when
>the doucment is in a "compound file" and thus
>should self-identify itself.

Any servers in particular that you are having this problem with? I don't
have the problem with Office apps or with Acrobat, which are about the only
servers I have ever used on remote web files.

-Andy

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?
Dear Andy,

Thank you kindly for your response to my question.

Yes, I too have no difficulty downloading MS Office
documents. They must use a CLSID in the document
to associated with the correct server.

However, with an in-house written ActiveX
document server (a converted desktop application),
the downloaded document (named WorkSp1.ele) is
not associated with the ActiveX document server
(named Elements.exe). I assumed that the CLSID
was added to every "compound file" ActiveX document,
but maybe not. Do you know of an API function that will
force a CLSID into an ActiveX document when it
is first written? Is there a reader/viewer that
examines an ActiveX document for a CLSID?
I will look around for such tools.

Thanks, Bill Anderson

Quote:

>>How does the IE4 web browser SHDOCVW.DLL select
>>the appropriate ActiveX document server given an
>>ActiveX document? Is it based on CLSID or file extension?

>It is one or the other - if the file is a structured storage, then it will
>check to see if it has a class set. the CLSID can be set on a structured
>storage sort of like an extended attribute. Failing that, it uses the file
>extension.

>>In my experience, the web browser properly identifies
>>the server for documents on the local hard drive, but
>>fails to identify the server for documents downloaded
>>from a web server. This problem exists even when
>>the doucment is in a "compound file" and thus
>>should self-identify itself.

>Any servers in particular that you are having this problem with? I don't
>have the problem with Office apps or with Acrobat, which are about the only
>servers I have ever used on remote web files.

>-Andy

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?
Dear Andy,

Thank you kindly for your response to my question.

Yes, I too have no difficulty downloading MS Office
documents. They must use a CLSID in the document
to associated with the correct server.

However, with an in-house written ActiveX
document server (a converted desktop application),
the downloaded document (named WorkSp1.ele) is
not associated with the ActiveX document server
(named Elements.exe). I assumed that the CLSID
was added to every "compound file" ActiveX document,
but maybe not. Do you know of an API function that will
force a CLSID into an ActiveX document when it
is first written? Is there a reader/viewer that
examines an ActiveX document for a CLSID?
I will look around for such tools.

Thanks, Bill Anderson

Quote:

>>How does the IE4 web browser SHDOCVW.DLL select
>>the appropriate ActiveX document server given an
>>ActiveX document? Is it based on CLSID or file extension?

>It is one or the other - if the file is a structured storage, then it will
>check to see if it has a class set. the CLSID can be set on a structured
>storage sort of like an extended attribute. Failing that, it uses the file
>extension.

>>In my experience, the web browser properly identifies
>>the server for documents on the local hard drive, but
>>fails to identify the server for documents downloaded
>>from a web server. This problem exists even when
>>the doucment is in a "compound file" and thus
>>should self-identify itself.

>Any servers in particular that you are having this problem with? I don't
>have the problem with Office apps or with Acrobat, which are about the only
>servers I have ever used on remote web files.

>-Andy

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?
I had this problem as well.  If I remember correctly, I resolved it by
having the server return the appropriate MIME type for the Active Document
type.  Of course you will need to register your server for the particular
MIME type you choose.  I am no longer doing things this way so I can't
confirm it.

Currently, IE4 starts my Active Doc server correctly based on the downloaded
file extension, even if this document is NOT a DocFile.  See the article
http://msdn.microsoft.com/developer/sdk/inetsdk/help/itt/monikers/app...
.htm#MIME_DETECT in the INetSDK for more info.

-Edward H.

Quote:

>How does the IE4 web browser SHDOCVW.DLL select
>the appropriate ActiveX document server given an
>ActiveX document? Is it based on CLSID or file extension?

>In my experience, the web browser properly identifies
>the server for documents on the local hard drive, but
>fails to identify the server for documents downloaded
>from a web server. This problem exists even when
>the doucment is in a "compound file" and thus
>should self-identify itself.

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?

Quote:
>Is there a reader/viewer that
>examines an ActiveX document for a CLSID?

You can use DFVIEW.EXE (stands for Doc File Viewer) for viewing contents of
any compound or Doc file.
This tool is in the Visual C++ bin directory.

Edward H.

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How does Web browser select ActiveX doc server?

Additional note...You must send the correct MIME type for the document from
the server.  There must also be a reverse MIME type lookup entry which maps
the type to the appropriate extension.  The reg entries are in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type.
-Edward H.

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How To: Selected Item or Items in Web Browser (in designMode)

2. ActiveX web browser in C++ .net

3. Web Browser ActiveX GoBack()/GoForward()

4. Full Screen Display ActiveX Control on Web Browser

5. ActiveX web browser control?!?!?!?!?

6. Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX Crashes

7. Microsoft Web Browser Control (ActiveX) in a CPropertyPage

8. ActiveX with a web browser inside

9. Print an HTML document from an ActiveX control (Web Browser Control)

10. ActiveX web browser control?!?!?!?!?

11. MS Web Browser ActiveX Crashes

12. Web Browser ActiveX