Simulating Printer
Author Message
 Simulating Printer

I have MFC project.
My client uses program and has problem when prints documents using HP
DeskJet 1220C printer.
I don't have such printer. How can I simulate it's behavior on my PC
for testing?
I installed driver and added printer to my local printers, but all
drawing methods are OK and don't give any error information.

Best regards, Vladimir.

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:24:48 GMT
 Simulating Printer
Vladimir,

You have done what you can, simulationwise, installing the driver and
checking error returns. You might also want to check MSDN, searching the
Knowledge Base for any known bugs, you can check if there is any info on the
HP-site. You can try to get your customer to update to the latest HP-driver,
if he/she is not already using it. You might also ask the customer to use
another driver for the HP (they are often backwards compatible), to try to
rule out if it is the printer or the driver. An educated guess - without
knowing the problem your customer is experiencing - is that it is a
driver-related problem.

Johan Rosengren
Abstrakt Mekanik AB

Quote:
> I have MFC project.
> My client uses program and has problem when prints documents using HP
> DeskJet 1220C printer.
> I don't have such printer. How can I simulate it's behavior on my PC
> for testing?
> I installed driver and added printer to my local printers, but all
> drawing methods are OK and don't give any error information.

> Best regards, Vladimir.

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:33:55 GMT
 Simulating Printer
Unfortunately, this is not something you can simulate. The reason is, you will have to
properly simulate all the bugs in the printer driver, which is probably where the problem
is. What you *can* do is install the driver, but when it comes time to print, click the
option that says "print to file", which writes the printer commands to the file. This
usually doesn't help much because some of the driver problems deal with printer
communication, not drawing logic. Or, if you can describe the problem, we might be able to
make suggestions. For example, checking the printer driver capabilities before doing
something that is unsupported might help.
                                joe

Quote:
>I have MFC project.
>My client uses program and has problem when prints documents using HP
>DeskJet 1220C printer.
>I don't have such printer. How can I simulate it's behavior on my PC
>for testing?
>I installed driver and added printer to my local printers, but all
>drawing methods are OK and don't give any error information.

>Best regards, Vladimir.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www.flounder.com

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:49:45 GMT

1. Getting printer handle from Printer.hDC

2. Printer Port , Timing of printer port, Urgent ,LaserShow

3. Select Printer function for a Windows NT Printer Service

4. CPrintDialog Printer selection ComboBox does not scroll for large number of printers

5. Printer Escape Code to take printer offline

6. different printing results: ps-printer and non ps-printer

7. Windows Default Printers and Default Printer Setups

8. How to get a HANDLE to a printer from a printer CDC

9. different printing results: ps-printer and non ps-printer

10. Simulating include files

11. simulate xp's selection tool

12. Simulating C++ destructors