Which DLLs to ship and install with my program?
Author Message
 Which DLLs to ship and install with my program?

Hi All,

I am working on a large program that needs a lot of DLL files (the
list is below this message).

- Which of these DLL's do I have to ship and install with my software?

- I believe some of these DLL's were shipped with other products
(Internet explorer?) Do I need to install more than these DLLs?

- Do I need version checking of the DLL's if they already exist?

- If I install new DLL's do I need a restart of the computer?

Does somebody have recommendations on an installer? I there a freeware
installer available or some examples on the Net?

A lot of questions, many thanks in advance for helping me,

Regards, Iwan van Rienen

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ADVAPI32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MFC42.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCRT4.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT20.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINSPOOL.DRV
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SAGE.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPR.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SVRAPI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSSHRUI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWNET32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSNET32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINMM.DLL

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Which DLLs to ship and install with my program?

InstallShield Express 2 should sort out most of your problems I think. There
is a 30 day trial offer available from their WEB site www.installshield.com
which automatically takes a VC++ Project and should cope with the versions
of the DLLS for you.

It is pretty good and powerful, It took all the headaches out of what you
are saying below....

Quote:

>Hi All,

>I am working on a large program that needs a lot of DLL files (the
>list is below this message).

>- Which of these DLL's do I have to ship and install with my software?

>- I believe some of these DLL's were shipped with other products
>(Internet explorer?) Do I need to install more than these DLLs?

>- Do I need version checking of the DLL's if they already exist?

>- If I install new DLL's do I need a restart of the computer?

>Does somebody have recommendations on an installer? I there a freeware
>installer available or some examples on the Net?

>A lot of questions, many thanks in advance for helping me,

>Regards, Iwan van Rienen

>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ADVAPI32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MFC42.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCRT4.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT20.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINSPOOL.DRV
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SAGE.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPR.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SVRAPI.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSSHRUI.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWNET32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSNET32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINMM.DLL

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Which DLLs to ship and install with my program?

I use InstallShield Pro 5... its loaded with features, but may be more than
you need.

I ship only 2 extra DLLs with my product->

Quote:
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MFC42.DLL

because I can't be sure these are installed in a '95 or NT setup.
Those like Shell32 and Kernal32, you can assume already exist on the host
machine.
Quote:

>Hi All,

>I am working on a large program that needs a lot of DLL files (the
>list is below this message).

>- Which of these DLL's do I have to ship and install with my software?

>- I believe some of these DLL's were shipped with other products
>(Internet explorer?) Do I need to install more than these DLLs?

>- Do I need version checking of the DLL's if they already exist?

>- If I install new DLL's do I need a restart of the computer?

>Does somebody have recommendations on an installer? I there a freeware
>installer available or some examples on the Net?

>A lot of questions, many thanks in advance for helping me,

>Regards, Iwan van Rienen

>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ADVAPI32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MFC42.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCRT4.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT20.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINSPOOL.DRV
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SAGE.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPR.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SVRAPI.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSSHRUI.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWNET32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSNET32.DLL
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINMM.DLL

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Which DLLs to ship and install with my program?

Hi John,

Thank you for you reply!

I download the InstallShield 5 trial,
unfortunatly it doesn't tell me which of DLL's to ship.

So I'm thinking about reinstalling Win95, and determine which of the
DLL's are not yet installed.

Iwan van Rienen.

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:55:21 -0500, "John Tytler"

Quote:

>I use InstallShield Pro 5... its loaded with features, but may be more than
>you need.

>I ship only 2 extra DLLs with my product->
>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL
>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MFC42.DLL

>because I can't be sure these are installed in a '95 or NT setup.
>Those like Shell32 and Kernal32, you can assume already exist on the host
>machine.

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Which DLLs to ship and install with my program?

Have you had a look at dumpbin.exe in your "msdev\bin" subdirectory.

Sat, 05 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. should I put msvcrt.dll in the install program

2. Why ship all-static LIBs or DLLs?

3. Does MFC42.DLL ship with Win98

4. Are we allowed to ship WININET.DLL?

5. WE CAN FINALLY SHIP COMCTL32.DLL!

6. Redistributing/Installing MSVCP60.DLL and MFC42.DLL on Win2K

7. .net installing program

8. path of the installed program

9. Setup/Install Program Code

10. All my C# Programs dont run (with .NET installed)

11. Cool setup/install program

12. Writing and Installing Memory-Resident Programs with C