Decoding a .bmp image from heap to heap
Author Message
 Decoding a .bmp image from heap to heap
Hi,

I'm using Visual C++ for my Doc/View, MFC based application. Is there a
DLL or some sample code for decoding a .bmp image that is on the free
store into an rgb array on the free store?

I'm assuming that some type of decoding is needed since there must be some
type of "header" information with, at least, width and height information.

Thanks,
Dan

Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:47:02 GMT
 Decoding a .bmp image from heap to heap
A bitmap has several characteristics, such as its color depth. A 24-bit-color bitmap is by
definition an array of rgb values. An 8-bit bitmap is an array of values which can be
converted to palette colors by determining the color palette being used. As far as reading
a .bmp file, the BITMAPHEADER structure is the place you want to look. There's a lot of
code on places like codeproject and codeguru for handling bitmaps, I'd also try there.
                                joe

Quote:

>Hi,

>I'm using Visual C++ for my Doc/View, mfc based application. Is there a
>DLL or some sample code for decoding a .bmp image that is on the free
>store into an rgb array on the free store?

>I'm assuming that some type of decoding is needed since there must be some
>type of "header" information with, at least, width and height information.

>Thanks,
>Dan

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 04:06:12 GMT
 Decoding a .bmp image from heap to heap

Joe,

Thanks. I'll  take a look at that structure and check into the sites.

Dan

: A bitmap has several characteristics, such as its
color depth. A
24-bit-color bitmap is by
: definition an array of rgb values. An 8-bit bitmap is an array of values which can be
: converted to palette colors by determining the color palette being used. As far as reading
: a .bmp file, the BITMAPHEADER structure is the place you want to look. There's a lot of
: code on places like codeproject and codeguru for handling bitmaps, I'd also try there.
:                               joe

:>Hi,
:>
:>I'm using Visual C++ for my Doc/View, mfc based application. Is there a
:>DLL or some sample code for decoding a .bmp image that is on the free
:>store into an rgb array on the free store?
:>
:>I'm assuming that some type of decoding is needed since there must be some
:>type of "header" information with, at least, width and height information.
:>
:>Thanks,
:>Dan

: Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

: Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer
: MVP Tips: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer/mvp_tips.htm

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 07:01:33 GMT

1. HEAP[dllhost.exe]: HEAP: Free Heap block 1e32c28 modified at 1e32dc4 after it was freed

2. Binomial heaps / Fibonacci heaps

3. (ATL) COM dll heap vs CRT heap

4. HEAP error: Free heap block xxx mdofied at xxx

5. Invalid heap signature for heap

6. Heap errors when stressing Automation, _bstr_t, and watching heap blocks

7. Viewing the Stack, Heap and Program Image tables

8. Need help decoding .BMP files from MSPaint

9. looking for algorithm to decode jif, jpg or bmp's

10. new and heap problems

11. /STACK increase the stack, means decrease the heap ?

12. C1060: compiler is out of heap space with VS.NET 2003 RC1