Win NT vs Win 95/98
Author Message
 Win NT vs Win 95/98

1.
I have some interrogation about developping on Win NT vs Win 95/98.  In help,
when it says that some functions is unsupported by Win 95/98 (like
::AngleArc(...)), do I have to understand that :
my program will work only on a NT machine
OR
I have to compile my program on a NT machine and after it work on all other
machine (95/98) ???

2.
Another similar question, in ::Arc() function help, it says "Windows 95 and
Windows 98: The sum of the coordinates of the bounding rectangle cannot exceed
32,767. The sum of nLeftRect and nRightRect or nTopRect and nBottomRect
parameters cannot exceed 32,767.".  Do I have to understand that :
if I draw a Arc with more than 32767 units, it will work only on a NT
OR
if I compile my program on a NT machine, after it will work on all other
machine (95/98) ???

I have taken CDC::Arc() and CDC::AngleArc() functions for example, but many
others functions are limited by the " 32K rule " of Win 95/98;

Thanks in advance !

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Win NT vs Win 95/98
In both cases it means that :

the function will only work if the program is executed on a WinNT machine

or

the limitation exists if the program is executed on a Win9x machine.

WinNT and Win9x are internally different.

The development machine is irrelevant.

TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Quote:

>1.
>I have some interrogation about developping on Win NT vs Win 95/98.  In
help,
>when it says that some functions is unsupported by Win 95/98

<snip>

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Win NT vs Win 95/98
Your development platform isn't the problem. The problems will become
apparent when you run your application on the different platforms. You
need copies of all platforms to test your application - W2000, NT and
W9x.

Steve
--

Steve Wolstenholme
Neural Network Applications for Windows

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Win NT vs Win 95/98

Quote:

>1.
>I have some interrogation about developping on Win NT vs Win 95/98.  In
help,
>when it says that some functions is unsupported by Win 95/98 (like
>::AngleArc(...)), do I have to understand that :
>my program will work only on a NT machine
>OR
>I have to compile my program on a NT machine and after it work on all other
>machine (95/98) ???

It doesn't matter what machine you COMPILE your application on; what matters
is the machine that it's RUN on. If you run under Win95/98 functions like
"AngleArc" are unavailable - they'll return error 120
(ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED).

Quote:
>2.
>Another similar question, in ::Arc() function help, it says "Windows 95 and
>Windows 98: The sum of the coordinates of the bounding rectangle cannot
exceed
>32,767. The sum of nLeftRect and nRightRect or nTopRect and nBottomRect
>parameters cannot exceed 32,767.".  Do I have to understand that :
>if I draw a Arc with more than 32767 units, it will work only on a NT
>OR
>if I compile my program on a NT machine, after it will work on all other
>machine (95/98) ???

The GDI subsystem on Win95/98 is 16-bit, and coordinates must be in the
range +/-32k. NT has a 32-bit coordinate range.

Regards,

Chris

Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com
Astronomy software written by astronomers, for astronomers

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printing on Win NT Vs. Win 98 ?

2. Win NT vs. Win 95

3. DLL on Win NT vs. Win 95

4. DLL on Win NT vs. Win 95

5. Win 2000 built OCX won't load on a WIn NT or 98 system

6. Win 95 to Win 98 problem with DLL

7. Win 95/95 to Win NT

8. Creating RAS entries in Win '95/'98, and NT

9. DBWin32 captures OutputDebugString on Win '95/'98/NT.

10. Registry: Differences between Win NT/95/98

11. Problem: Developing on Win 98 and running on Win NT

12. Problem: Develop on Win 98 and run on Win NT