Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0 
Author Message
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0

Have you looked at the precompiled headers feature?

VC uses a system called precompiled headers which
prescans all headers included by you project. It then
produces a database of information (PCH file) that
allows the compiler to bypass parsing and reparsing
all headers when you make a change to your code.
It regenerates the PCH file anytime a header changes.

If you have not created a new project for this app,
using the app wizards, do so. Then remove the
include statements for every header you use from
each of your CPP files, and place them in stdafx.h.
Then include stdafx.h in every CPP file in your project.

VC uses stdafx.cpp to track when changes are
made to headers and project properties that require
VC to regenerate the precompiled headers.

Read up on how precompiled headers work.

Quote:

>Hi,
>recently we migrated this big project from Borland 5.0 to Microsoft VC++6.0

>Finally it's starting to look OK , but to link it takes more than 7 min.
>Yes , it is big project and there are about 30 fairly big libs to link,
>but in Borland IDE it took less than 40 secs (on the same mashine) ...

>We don't have much experience with Microsoft so we don't know - maybe it is
>normal there to have such a link time.
>If somebody has any thoughts for optimization please suggest.
>Also any suggested reading is more than welcome.

>Attached is a DSP file.

>Thanks in advance.



Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0

Quote:

> Have you looked at the precompiled headers feature?


> >Hi,
> >recently we migrated this big project from Borland 5.0 to Microsoft VC++6.0

> >Finally it's starting to look OK , but to link it takes more than 7 min.

Using precompiled headers doesn't affect link time.

--
Pete Becker
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com



Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0

Quote:

> Hi,
> recently we migrated this big project from Borland 5.0 to Microsoft VC++6.0

> Finally it's starting to look OK , but to link it takes more than 7 min.
> Yes , it is big project and there are about 30 fairly big libs to link,
> but in Borland IDE it took less than 40 secs (on the same mashine) ...

Change back and the problem will go away.

--
Pete Becker
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com



Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0
On Sun, 23 May 1999 14:25:43 +0200, "Michael Ozeryansky"

Quote:
> Hi,
> recently we migrated this big project from Borland 5.0 to Microsoft VC++6.0

> Finally it's starting to look OK , but to link it takes more than 7 min.
> Yes , it is big project and there are about 30 fairly big libs to link,
> but in Borland IDE it took less than 40 secs (on the same mashine) ...

> We don't have much experience with Microsoft so we don't know - maybe it is
> normal there to have such a link time.
> If somebody has any thoughts for optimization please suggest.
> Also any suggested reading is more than welcome.

> Attached is a DSP file.

> Thanks in advance.

> begin 666 Selling.dsp





        [snip]

<Jack>

Do not post binary attachments to newsgroups without the word binaries
in their name.

And in the future leave comp.lang.c++ off Microsoft specific tool
questions which you post to the Microsoft newsgroups.  The C++
language does not even define or require a linker, how they work and
how long they take has nothing to do with the C++ language.

</Jack>
--
Do not email me with questions about programming.
Post them to the appropriate newsgroup.
Followups to my posts are welcome.



Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0
Link times in Release and Debug build configs will vary - often debug is faster but it
all depends on your settings:

1. Do use precompiled headers. While this does only affect compile time, it speeds up
the overall compile/link cycle deamatically. Generate the generic MFC app with AppWizard
and look at the Build Settings for C++ tab, precompiled header section: Click on
stdafx.cpp file specifically since its settings are different from the overall project.
You can email me with specific questions if you like.

2. Check your LINK settings. Make sure Link Incrementlly is check on the link tab for
Debug builds (don't check it for release as you won't get the smallest possible .exe out
of it).

That's about the best you are going to get out of VC++. I've always found it fast so you
should comb though all of your build settings.

Peter Ent
Fidelity Investments

Quote:

> Hi,
> recently we migrated this big project from Borland 5.0 to Microsoft VC++6.0

> Finally it's starting to look OK , but to link it takes more than 7 min.
> Yes , it is big project and there are about 30 fairly big libs to link,
> but in Borland IDE it took less than 40 secs (on the same mashine) ...

> We don't have much experience with Microsoft so we don't know - maybe it is
> normal there to have such a link time.
> If somebody has any thoughts for optimization please suggest.
> Also any suggested reading is more than welcome.

> Attached is a DSP file.

> Thanks in advance.

>                      Name: Selling.dsp
>    Selling.dsp       Type: Project File (application/x-unknown-content-type-dspfile)
>                  Encoding: x-uuencode



Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0
So, what do you mean , it is Microsoft feature ?
Can you give me your examples of link time ?
Then maybe I can talk to my managers and we will switch back ;)


Quote:

> > Hi,
> > recently we migrated this big project from Borland 5.0 to Microsoft
VC++6.0

> > Finally it's starting to look OK , but to link it takes more than 7 min.
> > Yes , it is big project and there are about 30 fairly big libs to link,
> > but in Borland IDE it took less than 40 secs (on the same mashine) ...

> Change back and the problem will go away.

> --
> Pete Becker
> Dinkumware, Ltd.
> http://www.dinkumware.com



Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0
Thanks , but PCH headers exist also in Borland environment and it's really
doesn't affect link time.


Quote:
> Have you looked at the precompiled headers feature?

> VC uses a system called precompiled headers which
> prescans all headers included by you project. It then
> produces a database of information (PCH file) that
> allows the compiler to bypass parsing and reparsing
> all headers when you make a change to your code.
> It regenerates the PCH file anytime a header changes.

> If you have not created a new project for this app,
> using the app wizards, do so. Then remove the
> include statements for every header you use from
> each of your CPP files, and place them in stdafx.h.
> Then include stdafx.h in every CPP file in your project.

> VC uses stdafx.cpp to track when changes are
> made to headers and project properties that require
> VC to regenerate the precompiled headers.

> Read up on how precompiled headers work.


> >Hi,
> >recently we migrated this big project from Borland 5.0 to Microsoft
VC++6.0

> >Finally it's starting to look OK , but to link it takes more than 7 min.
> >Yes , it is big project and there are about 30 fairly big libs to link,
> >but in Borland IDE it took less than 40 secs (on the same mashine) ...

> >We don't have much experience with Microsoft so we don't know - maybe it
is
> >normal there to have such a link time.
> >If somebody has any thoughts for optimization please suggest.
> >Also any suggested reading is more than welcome.

> >Attached is a DSP file.

> >Thanks in advance.



Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0
Around 1812, it was not uncommon to use Borland to develop, and MS to
release compile, as Borland was faster and MS created faster and smaller
bins. Enjoy instead, coffeebreaks are too few and far between :-)
Or read NGs and write documentation for the code...

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.


Quote:
>So, what do you mean , it is Microsoft feature ?
>Can you give me your examples of link time ?
>Then maybe I can talk to my managers and we will switch back ;)



Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0

Let the bureaucrats rule the world!



Quote:
> Do not post binary attachments to newsgroups without the word binaries
> in their name.

> And in the future leave comp.lang.c++ off Microsoft specific tool
> questions which you post to the Microsoft newsgroups.  The C++
> language does not even define or require a linker, how they work and
> how long they take has nothing to do with the C++ language.

> </Jack>
> --
> Do not email me with questions about programming.
> Post them to the appropriate newsgroup.
> Followups to my posts are welcome.



Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0
You know, I saw the subject line and read it, but for
some reason it just didn't penetrate the skull.

Maybe I hadn't had my coffee yet that day ;>

Quote:


<snip>
>Using precompiled headers doesn't affect link time.

>--
>Pete Becker
>Dinkumware, Ltd.
>http://www.dinkumware.com



Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0

2. Long ( too long) link time in Visual Studio

3. Long ( too long) link time in Visual Studio

4. char size (was long long long long long int)

5. VC's link is taking a long time for release versions

6. long long long long integers

7. long long support VC/VC++ .NET?

8. short/long/long long Formatting questions

9. Long long and long double

10. Long link time with VC7 in debug

11. Long appending time on SQL 6.5 + VC 6

12. REPOST: Re: Neo Longest ThrREPOST: Re: Neo Longest ThrREPOST: Re: Neo Longest ThrREPOST: Re: Neo Longest Thread Ever II

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software