Simple GUI IO
Author Message
 Simple GUI IO

I'm realatively new to windows programming, but I've been playing around
with both Borland C++Builder and Visual C++ for a couple of weeks.   I
like Visual C++ better because it gives me more control, but that's
besides the point.

Remember back in the good old days, when you simply did "printf" any
time you wanted to output a debug message or tell the user what's up?
Well, I'd like to replicate that behavior in a GUI environment, but I
haven't found a way to do this that satisfies me.

What I would like is to print messages (error, status, debug messages,
etc) that scroll up as new messages appear.  I've seen several
suggestions using copy/paste, StreamIn and the SetSel/ReplaceSel
routine.  However, none of these work quite how I want.

The heart of the problem seems to be me relying on the document/view
architecture.  These messgaes/views/etc don't need to be associated with
a file.  If they are associated with files, I would like to hide that as
much as possible.  For example, the title of the window and the title of
the associated file should be different.

I like the child windows not being able to "escape" from their parent
window, but I want them to "dock" to the side (top, bottom, whatever...)
and have a tiny "x" to close them rather than being able maximize as if
it were a text document.

That's another thing.  This would not be a document so the user should
not be able to type anything into this window (however, being able to
Copy is not a bad idea).

Put another way, I want a window to behave much the same way that the
"Output Window" behaves in the Visual C++ compiler.

This seems like it should be a pretty standard tool but I can't find
exactly what I'm looking for and that really surprises me.  Then again,
I haven't seen too many examples of it, either (the error message box in
Eudora 4.x is another example).

Any help would be much appreciated... even if you just point me to a
good Visual C++ book.

Thanks!

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple GUI IO
Just throw up a modeless dialog containing an edit control.  SetSel/ReplaceSel add the message text to the end.  It's alse really handy if the dialog handles WM_SIZE and resizes the edit control so you can make it real wide when the occasion demands.
Quote:

> I'm realatively new to windows programming, but I've been playing around
> with both Borland C++Builder and Visual C++ for a couple of weeks.   I
> like Visual C++ better because it gives me more control, but that's
> besides the point.

> Remember back in the good old days, when you simply did "printf" any
> time you wanted to output a debug message or tell the user what's up?
> Well, I'd like to replicate that behavior in a GUI environment, but I
> haven't found a way to do this that satisfies me.

> What I would like is to print messages (error, status, debug messages,
> etc) that scroll up as new messages appear.  I've seen several
> suggestions using copy/paste, StreamIn and the SetSel/ReplaceSel
> routine.  However, none of these work quite how I want.

> The heart of the problem seems to be me relying on the document/view
> architecture.  These messgaes/views/etc don't need to be associated with
> a file.  If they are associated with files, I would like to hide that as
> much as possible.  For example, the title of the window and the title of
> the associated file should be different.

> I like the child windows not being able to "escape" from their parent
> window, but I want them to "dock" to the side (top, bottom, whatever...)
> and have a tiny "x" to close them rather than being able maximize as if
> it were a text document.

> That's another thing.  This would not be a document so the user should
> not be able to type anything into this window (however, being able to
> Copy is not a bad idea).

> Put another way, I want a window to behave much the same way that the
> "Output Window" behaves in the Visual C++ compiler.

> This seems like it should be a pretty standard tool but I can't find
> exactly what I'm looking for and that really surprises me.  Then again,
> I haven't seen too many examples of it, either (the error message box in
> Eudora 4.x is another example).

> Any help would be much appreciated... even if you just point me to a
> good Visual C++ book.

> Thanks!

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple GUI IO

Quote:

> Just throw up a modeless dialog containing an edit control.  SetSel/ReplaceSel add the message text to the end.  It's alse really handy if the dialog handles WM_SIZE and resizes the edit control so you can make it real wide when the occasion demands.

Thanks for the suggestion.

How do you trap a modeless dialog inside the parent window?

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Simple IO

2. Just a simple io question

3. GUI for simple operating system?

4. simple console app, how to add gui, good books for it mfc vs win32

5. Help with simple GUI

6. GUI Forms - should be simple

7. Re-use ATL GUI component in another ATL GUI component

8. simple lib and simple dll

9. Calling a simple FORTRAN subroutine from my simple C program

10. Simple problem across processes - need simplest answer

11. Simple ATL Com object problem on simplest examples

12. Simple But Not Too Simple