Getting Started With Windows Sockets
Author Message
 Getting Started With Windows Sockets

Hello,

I am a unix c++ programmer (Xwindows, motif, etc..)  and for the past
week i have been trying to get acquainted with programing applications
under windows 95/NT.

Started by reading "Programming Windows 95 w/ MFC", then proceded to
write a few basic programs on my own (dialogs, graphics, basic
animation, etc..)   Then started reasearching how to do sockets...
well, unfortunately i am having a hard time figuring out how to do
this with Windows95 & Visual C++.

Basically i am looking / asking for any information that i can find
online (web / MSDN / ms knowledge base / example code ) that will help
me get started developing socket based applications under windows 95
and NT (command line or GUI based).

Also, any tips on books that are worthwile to browse through would be
a great help.

Thanks

Nicholas Mistry

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting Started With Windows Sockets

Quote:

>Also, any tips on books that are worthwile to browse through would be
>a great help.

Here are a couple of books I have that have been very useful:

re: MFC Extension classes for sockets, named pipes, overlapped I/O,
etc.:
"Win32 Network Programming" by Ralph Davis (Addison-Wesley 1996, ISBN
0-201-48930-9)

re: Win32 sockets/named pipes, etc. using C and APIs:
Network Programming in WindowsNT by Alok K. Sinha (Addison-Wesley,
1996, ISBN 0-201-59056-5)
John W. Wismar                                     Synergex
Systems Programmer                     2330 Gold Meadow Way
916-853-0394                           Gold River, CA 95670

The opinions expressed here are my own, and should not be
inferred to represent any policy, opinion or communication
from Synergex.

My reply-to address has been altered to limit spam.

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting Started With Windows Sockets

For the nuts and bolts of 'WinSock' programming, I believe the
definitive source is the book "Windows Sockets Network Programming" by
Bob Quinn and Dave Shute - published by Addison Wesley in the advanced
windows series.

For examples of using MFC to create GUI/MFC WinSock applications, you
might want to check out "Building Internet Applications with Visual
C++".

For online references, check out:

        http://www.sockets.com
        http://www.stardust.com

The "Win32 Network Programming" book by Davis mentioned in a previous
article is also a great resource.

// CHRIS

Quote:

>Hello,

>I am a unix c++ programmer (Xwindows, motif, etc..)  and for the past
>week i have been trying to get acquainted with programing applications
>under windows 95/NT.

>Started by reading "Programming Windows 95 w/ MFC", then proceded to
>write a few basic programs on my own (dialogs, graphics, basic
>animation, etc..)   Then started reasearching how to do sockets...
>well, unfortunately i am having a hard time figuring out how to do
>this with Windows95 & Visual C++.

>Basically i am looking / asking for any information that i can find
>online (web / MSDN / ms knowledge base / example code ) that will help
>me get started developing socket based applications under windows 95
>and NT (command line or GUI based).

>Also, any tips on books that are worthwile to browse through would be
>a great help.

>Thanks

>Nicholas Mistry

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting Started With Windows Sockets

cfa.harvard.edu says...

Quote:
> Hello,

> I am a unix c++ programmer (Xwindows, motif, etc..)  and for the past
> week i have been trying to get acquainted with programing applications
> under windows 95/NT.
> Basically i am looking / asking for any information ...

try http://www.well.com/user/nac/alt-winsock-faq.html

Ray

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting started with sockets

2. Getting started with sockets

3. Getting started in windows programming

4. Start App when Windows starts

5. Windows Socket and Linux Socket

6. Getting messages that Windows sends to other windows

7. Socket Programming: How to get started

8. (Q)Process have multi thread after Socket started

9. Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?

10. Getting Started

11. Getting Started

12. newbie question - gcc under linux, getting started