Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?
Author Message
 Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?

Hello,

I'm developing a (simple) SDI application on my Windows NT 4.0.
It works fine, but when I copy the .EXE on a computer with Win95/98, it
crashes after having displayed the Window: Error in USER.EXE.
(I've tried only 1 computer)

I've compiled in Release version, and whether I include the DLLs in
static (in the .EXE) or not: same result.

Is there a problem (or weakness) with USER.EXE ?

Thanks for any idea,
Eric.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:56:00 GMT
 Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?
Eric!

You should suspect a bug in your own app first :-) You must probably analyze
the error a bit further before getting any useful help. Implementing debug
dumps, running a debug version on 95/98, pinpointing the error with message
boxes, the methods are legio.

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm developing a (simple) SDI application on my Windows NT 4.0.
> It works fine, but when I copy the .EXE on a computer with Win95/98, it
> crashes after having displayed the Window: Error in USER.EXE.
> (I've tried only 1 computer)

> I've compiled in Release version, and whether I include the DLLs in
> static (in the .EXE) or not: same result.

> Is there a problem (or weakness) with USER.EXE ?

> Thanks for any idea,
> Eric.

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:31:22 GMT
 Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?

Quote:
> Eric!

> You should suspect a bug in your own app first :-) You must probably
analyze
> the error a bit further before getting any useful help. Implementing
debug
> dumps, running a debug version on 95/98, pinpointing the error with
message
> boxes, the methods are legio.

> Johan Rosengren
> Responsable Informatique
> PACTA S.A.

Maybe, but very strange that this bug is not detected on my WinNT VC++.
(I only write "legal" things ;-).
And the "pointed" program is not mine, but USER.EXE.
Anyway, I'll try to point out the "guilty" instruction.

Eric.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:53:05 GMT
 Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?
Eric!

Don't be fooled by the program phisically blowing up in a component other
than yours. USER.EXE is a part of Windows, and if you input {*filter*}into an API
residing there, it will still be your bug :)))

And NT and Win95/98 are not identical, there are heaps of differences, thus
a program might work perfectly on one OS, but fail with a resounding crash
on the other (normally, it's the other way around from your situation,
though - run on 98, fail to work on NT).

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.

Quote:

> > Eric!

> > You should suspect a bug in your own app first :-) You must probably
> analyze
> > the error a bit further before getting any useful help. Implementing
> debug
> > dumps, running a debug version on 95/98, pinpointing the error with
> message
> > boxes, the methods are legio.

> > Johan Rosengren
> > Responsable Informatique
> > PACTA S.A.

> Maybe, but very strange that this bug is not detected on my WinNT VC++.
> (I only write "legal" things ;-).
> And the "pointed" program is not mine, but USER.EXE.
> Anyway, I'll try to point out the "guilty" instruction.

> Eric.

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:14:38 GMT
 Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?

Quote:

>Eric!

>You should suspect a bug in your own app first :-) You must probably
analyze
>the error a bit further before getting any useful help. Implementing debug
>dumps, running a debug version on 95/98, pinpointing the error with
message
>boxes, the methods are legio.

>Johan Rosengren
>Responsable Informatique
>PACTA S.A.

>> Hello,

>> I'm developing a (simple) SDI application on my Windows NT 4.0.
>> It works fine, but when I copy the .EXE on a computer with Win95/98,
it
>> crashes after having displayed the Window: Error in USER.EXE.
>> (I've tried only 1 computer)

>> I've compiled in Release version, and whether I include the DLLs in
>> static (in the .EXE) or not: same result.

>> Is there a problem (or weakness) with USER.EXE ?

>> Thanks for any idea,
>> Eric.

Hello Johan,

(sorry for my new News environment: Deja.com has just been replaced....)

I did 2 things:

- I used InstallShield to port and properly install my application (.exe)
from
WinNT to Win98 (not just copy it): same result...

- I installed VC++ 6.0 compiler on Win98.
Apparently USER.EXE hangs every time I call a (simple) dialog (whatever).
The "guilty" instruction is is in CDialog::DoModal(), in
\Mfc\Src\Dlgcore.cpp:
CreateDlgIndirect(lpDialogTemplate, CWnd::FromHandle(hWndParent), hInst);

I create my dialogs using the dialog editor, normally creating the associated
class (derived from CDialog).
I include the .h in my program, and use it like this:
CMyDlg dlg;
if (dlg.DoModal() != IDOK)
  return;

DoModal correctly calls OnInitDialog and DoDataExchange...
Have I made something wrong ?
(I accept all defaults when using Dialog Ressource Editor for my dialog
properties: popup, dialog frame, etc...).

This is a very frustrating and annoying bug.

Eric.

Sat, 02 Aug 2003 22:48:35 GMT
 Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?
Eric!

The problem will probably have to be diagnosed even further. A few points:
One thing baffles me, your OnInitDialog and DoDataExchange are called
correctly, but the program crashes in CreateDialogIndirect?
CreateDialogIndirect will be called before any dialog - are you displaying
any secondary dialogs (dialogs called from dialogs)?

If you create an empty SDI, compile it and run it on the 95/98, will it
crash if you just show the about-box? If this is the case, you have an
external problem.

If not, you must try to recreate a dialog from empty, adding controls and
functions one by one until it crashes.

You might also make a copy of your project, do *not* add the debug and
release directory, do *not* add any clw, the ncb, the opt, the plg and the
aps-files, zip it and mail it to me, and I'll compile and run it under 98 to
see if I can diagonse the problem.

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.

Quote:

> >Eric!

> >You should suspect a bug in your own app first :-) You must probably
> analyze
> >the error a bit further before getting any useful help. Implementing
debug
> >dumps, running a debug version on 95/98, pinpointing the error with
> message
> >boxes, the methods are legio.

> >Johan Rosengren
> >Responsable Informatique
> >PACTA S.A.

> >> Hello,

> >> I'm developing a (simple) SDI application on my Windows NT 4.0.
> >> It works fine, but when I copy the .EXE on a computer with Win95/98,
> it
> >> crashes after having displayed the Window: Error in USER.EXE.
> >> (I've tried only 1 computer)

> >> I've compiled in Release version, and whether I include the DLLs in
> >> static (in the .EXE) or not: same result.

> >> Is there a problem (or weakness) with USER.EXE ?

> >> Thanks for any idea,
> >> Eric.

> Hello Johan,

> (sorry for my new News environment: Deja.com has just been replaced....)

> I did 2 things:

> - I used InstallShield to port and properly install my application (.exe)
> from
> WinNT to Win98 (not just copy it): same result...

> - I installed VC++ 6.0 compiler on Win98.
> Apparently USER.EXE hangs every time I call a (simple) dialog (whatever).
> The "guilty" instruction is is in CDialog::DoModal(), in
> \Mfc\Src\Dlgcore.cpp:
> CreateDlgIndirect(lpDialogTemplate, CWnd::FromHandle(hWndParent), hInst);

> I create my dialogs using the dialog editor, normally creating the
associated
> class (derived from CDialog).
> I include the .h in my program, and use it like this:
> CMyDlg dlg;
> if (dlg.DoModal() != IDOK)
>   return;

> DoModal correctly calls OnInitDialog and DoDataExchange...
> Have I made something wrong ?
> (I accept all defaults when using Dialog Ressource Editor for my dialog
> properties: popup, dialog frame, etc...).

> This is a very frustrating and annoying bug.

> Eric.

eb  -----
>   http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+
groups
>    NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 00:32:26 GMT
 Win98: Crash in USER.EXE ?

Quote:
>- I installed VC++ 6.0 compiler on Win98.
>Apparently USER.EXE hangs every time I call a (simple) dialog (whatever).
>The "guilty" instruction is is in CDialog::DoModal(), in
>\Mfc\Src\Dlgcore.cpp:
>CreateDlgIndirect(lpDialogTemplate, CWnd::FromHandle(hWndParent), hInst);

>I create my dialogs using the dialog editor, normally creating the
associated
>class (derived from CDialog).
>I include the .h in my program, and use it like this:
>CMyDlg dlg;
>if (dlg.DoModal() != IDOK)
>  return;

>DoModal correctly calls OnInitDialog and DoDataExchange...
>Have I made something wrong ?
>(I accept all defaults when using Dialog Ressource Editor for my dialog
>properties: popup, dialog frame, etc...).

>This is a very frustrating and annoying bug.

Just one thing: if I return FALSE instead of TRUE in OnInitDialog, it hangs a
bit further: my dialog box appears, but when I press Cancel or OK, it hangs
in CWnd::RunModalLoop at ::PeekMessage(pMsg, NULL, etc..., PM_NOREMOVE); in
Mfc/Src/Wincore.cpp.
It makes me say there is maybe a problem with the message map ?
(or a DLL ?)

I saw some articles in this newsgroup about crash with USER.EXE and messages
(accelerators, etc...), under very strange conditions (but no solution
unfortunatly). Today, I will refine my bug chase, cutting off all parts of my
program (SDI) till the minimum which hangs USER.EXE (1 menu item, 1 minimum
dialog box).

Eric.

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 13:59:16 GMT

1. Unsolvable USER.EXE crash problem

2. crash in user.exe

3. A: Crash in USER.EXE due to DLGC_DEFPUSHBUTTON

4. User.exe crash when Spy++ not running

5. debug exe OK but release exe crashes

6. MFC with managed Extension crashes on win98??

7. ADO and Crash on win98

8. ADO in Win2000 crashes on Win98

9. Crashes while debuging with Win98

10. VC 6 + Win98 = Crash?

11. MFC with managed Extension crashes on win98??

12. MFC app crashes on Win98