Best book for quick learning
Author Message
 Best book for quick learning

What sorts of urls or books do you consider best for quick learning of MFC.
Scott McPhillips has been kind enough to offer Prosise' book as a must-read
and to follow the scibble tutorial.  Are there any other suggestions out
there.

Thank you in advance,

J.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:13:27 GMT
 Best book for quick learning
Prosise is a good one and Scribble is also uselful. Another one to consider
is Kruglinski/Shephard/Wingo's Programming Visual C++ 5th Edition. This is a
good beginner's book. It covers the MFC using the wizard. Prosise is mostly
without using the wizard. Although in latest edition, he did use wizard for
ActiveX development.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]

Quote:
> What sorts of urls or books do you consider best for quick learning of
MFC.
> Scott McPhillips has been kind enough to offer Prosise' book as a
must-read
> and to follow the scibble tutorial.  Are there any other suggestions out
> there.

> Thank you in advance,

> J.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:31:16 GMT
 Best book for quick learning
I'm not too sure about the 'quick' part, but in addition to the books, start
by creating a program using the wizard and trace it through. Look at the
examples in CodeGuru and www.codeproject.com. Incorporate some of the
controls etc found there into your program and understand what is happening.
Use VS Help all the way. Use this newsgroup to ask questions. Some people
might bite your head off, but most are friendly enough.

Quote:
> What sorts of urls or books do you consider best for quick learning of
MFC.
> Scott McPhillips has been kind enough to offer Prosise' book as a
must-read
> and to follow the scibble tutorial.  Are there any other suggestions out
> there.

> Thank you in advance,

> J.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:18:08 GMT
 Best book for quick learning
I mostly concur with Ajay and Ian.  While I'm less a fan of the Kruglinski
book than many, I must admit that a) my version is quite old
(pre-Shepherd/Wingo whose "MFC Internals" is quite good) and things may have
improved and b) it is pretty good at covering the IDE's role in working with
an MFC app. which can be daunting.

I have a couple of things to add:

There are a few web-sites that offer some value.

www.codeproject.com and www.codeguru.com both have valuable code that can be
downloaded and examined plus some interesting articles.  My problem with
both sites is separating the wheat from the chaff.  CodeProject has some
particularly good stuff but when I do searches I get far too many "hits" to
be useful.

There are also some MVP tips sites worth visiting.  www.mvps.org has some
good stuff as do Joe Newcomer's (http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer/mvp_tips.htm)
 and Bob Moore's (http://www.mooremvp.freeserve.co.uk) sites.

Finally, while this last suggestion carries the same "not to sure about the
'quick' part" caveat that Ian supplied, I've always been a fan of the
Petzold book.  I think it is valuable to know how a windows application
relates to both the operating system and the user.  After all, MFC is mostly
a thin wrapper around the Windows API.  Knowing how the Windows
message-based paradigm works sheds valuable light on why/how MFC works.

TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Quote:
> What sorts of urls or books do you consider best for quick learning of
MFC.
> Scott McPhillips has been kind enough to offer Prosise' book as a
must-read
> and to follow the scibble tutorial.  Are there any other suggestions out
> there.

> Thank you in advance,

> J.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:44:07 GMT
 Best book for quick learning
Thanks a lot...I will have a look at those.  I picked up the Prosise book
today and am looking through that now.  Like you said, I think my biggest
problem is figuring out how the VC++ IDE fits in with the coding...using the
various wizards and everything effectively and efficiently.  I'm starting to
get a much better grasp on MFC in general though.

And I do plan to learn the win32 API as soon as I can, I just didn't think
it would be as efficient to try learning that and creating my first
application (which will be distributed) all at once...

- J.

Quote:
> I mostly concur with Ajay and Ian.  While I'm less a fan of the Kruglinski
> book than many, I must admit that a) my version is quite old
> (pre-Shepherd/Wingo whose "MFC Internals" is quite good) and things may
have
> improved and b) it is pretty good at covering the IDE's role in working
with
> an MFC app. which can be daunting.

> I have a couple of things to add:

> There are a few web-sites that offer some value.

> www.codeproject.com and www.codeguru.com both have valuable code that can
be
> downloaded and examined plus some interesting articles.  My problem with
> both sites is separating the wheat from the chaff.  CodeProject has some
> particularly good stuff but when I do searches I get far too many "hits"
> be useful.

> There are also some MVP tips sites worth visiting.  www.mvps.org has some
> good stuff as do Joe Newcomer's

(http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer/mvp_tips.htm)

>  and Bob Moore's (http://www.mooremvp.freeserve.co.uk) sites.

> Finally, while this last suggestion carries the same "not to sure about
the
> 'quick' part" caveat that Ian supplied, I've always been a fan of the
> Petzold book.  I think it is valuable to know how a windows application
> relates to both the operating system and the user.  After all, MFC is
mostly
> a thin wrapper around the Windows API.  Knowing how the Windows
> message-based paradigm works sheds valuable light on why/how MFC works.

> TFM3

> Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

> > What sorts of urls or books do you consider best for quick learning of
> MFC.
> > Scott McPhillips has been kind enough to offer Prosise' book as a
> must-read
> > and to follow the scibble tutorial.  Are there any other suggestions out
> > there.

> > Thank you in advance,

> > J.

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:42:17 GMT

1. Best book for learning pointers & reference book

2. Need a good learning / reference book

3. Good book for learning the Visual C# IDE?

4. Which book is better to learn C with?

5. What is the best book for learning c preferably with a cd with software)

6. A good book for Learning C

7. Books: Which ones best for learning C/C++

8. Any good books to recommend on learning C ?

9. Good books for C learning?

10. Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

11. Good text book for learning how to create Database prog with VC++

12. Recommend Good Book to learn VC++?