Problem linking with Crystal Reports and MS VC++ 6.0 Professional
Author Message
 Problem linking with Crystal Reports and MS VC++ 6.0 Professional

I have recently had to have my machine at work formatted and reloaded.

I reloaded Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition, and I am able to load my
application workspace with no problems.  My application uses Seagate Crystal
Reports as the reporting tool.  I have also reloaded Crystal Reports.

The problem occurs when I try to build my application.  I get a Linking error
that says the following:

Linking...
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "crpe32.lib"
Error executing link.exe.

The crpe32.lib file is on my machine, but for some reason the linker doesn't
know where to look for it (I think).  I looked in the MSDN help, but it was
saying something about a makefile, and was really no help to me.
Does anyone know how I am supposed to let the linker know where to find this
file?

I really appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Brian

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:53:33 GMT
 Problem linking with Crystal Reports and MS VC++ 6.0 Professional
You have to tell DevStudio where exactly this crpe32.lib lies. There are two
ways of doing it:

Project-wide setting:
Project | Settings....in Link Tab, Input Category, Additional library path:
enter path to folder containing crpe32.lib here or

DevStudio-wide setting:
Tools | Options.... in Directories tab, Show directories for Library files:
enter path to folder containing crpe32.lib.

If you set the latter, all your future projects using CR would link fine.

Hope this helps,
Ganesh

Quote:

> I have recently had to have my machine at work formatted and reloaded.

> I reloaded Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition, and I am able to load my
> application workspace with no problems.  My application uses Seagate
Crystal
> Reports as the reporting tool.  I have also reloaded Crystal Reports.

> The problem occurs when I try to build my application.  I get a Linking
error
> that says the following:

> Linking...
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "crpe32.lib"
> Error executing link.exe.

> The crpe32.lib file is on my machine, but for some reason the linker
doesn't
> know where to look for it (I think).  I looked in the MSDN help, but it
was
> saying something about a makefile, and was really no help to me.
> Does anyone know how I am supposed to let the linker know where to find
this
> file?

> I really appreciate any and all help.

> Thanks,
> Brian

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:07:57 GMT
 Problem linking with Crystal Reports and MS VC++ 6.0 Professional
Thanks for the help.  I got past that error after doing what you said.

I am know getting some errors that say:

That is just the first one...I am actually getting 24 of these.
I am thinking that I need to do a similar thing to fix these.  Is that
right?(please forgive my stupidity on this subject.  I have just recently taken
responsibility for this application)

Thanks for all help in advance.

Brian

Quote:

>You have to tell DevStudio where exactly this crpe32.lib lies. There are two
>ways of doing it:

>Project-wide setting:
>Project | Settings....in Link Tab, Input Category, Additional library path:
>enter path to folder containing crpe32.lib here or

>DevStudio-wide setting:
>Tools | Options.... in Directories tab, Show directories for Library files:
>enter path to folder containing crpe32.lib.

>If you set the latter, all your future projects using CR would link fine.

>Hope this helps,
>Ganesh

>> I have recently had to have my machine at work formatted and reloaded.

>> I reloaded Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition, and I am able to load my
>> application workspace with no problems.  My application uses Seagate
>Crystal
>> Reports as the reporting tool.  I have also reloaded Crystal Reports.

>> The problem occurs when I try to build my application.  I get a Linking
>error
>> that says the following:

>> Linking...
>> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "crpe32.lib"
>> Error executing link.exe.

>> The crpe32.lib file is on my machine, but for some reason the linker
>doesn't
>> know where to look for it (I think).  I looked in the MSDN help, but it
>was
>> saying something about a makefile, and was really no help to me.
>> Does anyone know how I am supposed to let the linker know where to find
>this
>> file?

>> I really appreciate any and all help.

>> Thanks,
>> Brian

Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:05:34 GMT
 Problem linking with Crystal Reports and MS VC++ 6.0 Professional
You're missing to link atleast one more .lib (could be more). You need to
find the names of libs (I've not done CR + VC++) and list only names of libs
in Project | Settings....Link tab, General Category, Object/library modules
box.

Hope this helps,
Ganesh

Quote:

> Thanks for the help.  I got past that error after doing what you said.

> I am know getting some errors that say:

> peplus.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol

Quote:

> That is just the first one...I am actually getting 24 of these.
> I am thinking that I need to do a similar thing to fix these.  Is that
> right?(please forgive my stupidity on this subject.  I have just recently
taken
> responsibility for this application)

> Thanks for all help in advance.

> Brian

> >You have to tell DevStudio where exactly this crpe32.lib lies. There are
two
> >ways of doing it:

> >Project-wide setting:
> >Project | Settings....in Link Tab, Input Category, Additional library
path:
> >enter path to folder containing crpe32.lib here or

> >DevStudio-wide setting:
> >Tools | Options.... in Directories tab, Show directories for Library
files:
> >enter path to folder containing crpe32.lib.

> >If you set the latter, all your future projects using CR would link fine.

> >Hope this helps,
> >Ganesh

> >> I have recently had to have my machine at work formatted and reloaded.

> >> I reloaded Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition, and I am able to load
my
> >> application workspace with no problems.  My application uses Seagate
> >Crystal
> >> Reports as the reporting tool.  I have also reloaded Crystal Reports.

> >> The problem occurs when I try to build my application.  I get a Linking
> >error
> >> that says the following:

> >> Linking...
> >> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "crpe32.lib"
> >> Error executing link.exe.

> >> The crpe32.lib file is on my machine, but for some reason the linker
> >doesn't
> >> know where to look for it (I think).  I looked in the MSDN help, but it
> >was
> >> saying something about a makefile, and was really no help to me.
> >> Does anyone know how I am supposed to let the linker know where to find
> >this
> >> file?

> >> I really appreciate any and all help.

> >> Thanks,
> >> Brian

Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:14:28 GMT

1. Crystal Reports: SQL Server & MS VC++ 6.0

2. Data Report Design in VC++ 6.0 Professional

3. Crystal Reports 7.0 MFC bug (VC++ 6.0 / CRPE / Access / ODBC)

4. Crystal Reports 7.0 MFC bug (VC++ 6.0 / CRPE / Access / ODBC)

5. buying MS VC++ 6.0: professional vs. enterprise

6. MS VC ver 6.0 dynamicly linked mfc libs problem

7. MS VC ver 6.0 dynamicly linked mfc libs problem

8. Crystal Reports - in VC (anyone done it?) reporting

9. Using VC++ 6.0 as an automation client to view and print reports from MS Access 97

10. Crystal report with non-MS db?

11. export crystal reports --> MS-WORD

12. VC 6.0 Professional Installation problem