User DSN vs Sys DSN vs File DSN.
Author Message
 User DSN vs Sys DSN vs File DSN.

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what's the usage, pro and cons of these 3 kinds of DSN
types?

I also have confusion on System DSN and the File DSN with OLE DB for Jet
4.0. Here they are:

First of all, I'm trying to write a VC++ 6 SP4 MFC GUI for my Access 2000
password-protected database. The following confusion leaves me undecided on
which way is the best way for the Data Access mechanism. OLE DB for ODBC?
OLE DB for Jet 4.0? pure ODBC, or DAO? Please give me some advice on this
decision.

1) For the OLE DB for Jet 4.0, there is connection error with my
password-protected Access 2000 database even though I type in the *correct*
user id and password. Ironically, it connects okay with "Admin" and blank
password. However this is ridiculous because my Admin's password in my
password-protected database is NOT blank. Could anyone help me figure this
out?

2) For the System DSN, I notice a difference between it and File DSN. When I
use File DSN with my database without specifying the password, it will
prompt me to input it again. But with the System DSN, it either let me store
the password permanently or give me password error if there's no password
stored. I thought this will make my password-protected database unprotected
because everyone log into my system will have access to it, right? Please
help me clarify this too. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for your help!
Godric

Thu, 29 May 2003 23:03:21 GMT

1. Can ANYBODY explain how to set the user ID / password in a DSN for SQL Server

2. Can ANYBODY explain how to set the user ID / password in a DSN for SQL Server

3. Can ANYBODY explain how to set the user ID / password in a DSN for SQL Server

4. file DSN with ODBC-Admin?

5. Connecting to an MDB file thru ODBC *without* using DSN

6. How to use a file DSN?

7. Somebody know about Dsn Files???

8. Prblm: CDatabase:OpenEx() and File DSN:s.

9. File DSN usage ?

10. Creating a file dsn for an Oracle database

11. ODBC & File DSN

12. How to create a file dsn?