Save desktop as .bmp with low quality
Author Message
 Save desktop as .bmp with low quality

I have code gotten from www.codeguru.com that allows me to capture the
screen as a bmp file. briefly stated, the process consists of converting DDB
to DIB, and then writing the DIB to file.

My question is, whether I can specify a low quality mode in order for my
.bmp file to take less space. now my .bmp file takes about 3.00 MB. is there
any way OTHER than converting to .jpg or .png?

Thanks...

Michelle

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:05:13 GMT
 Save desktop as .bmp with low quality
Is the bmp file stored as an 8-bit pixel file?  If not, try that.  If it is,
you won't be able to get it any smaller unless you use a compressed image
format.  Plus, the screen capture image size will also be based on your
screen resolution, so try lowering your screen resolution and then recapture
the screen.  BTW, you can also use Alt-PrintScreen to capture the screen as
well.  Ctrl-PrintScreen captures just a selected application.

Brian

Quote:
> I have code gotten from www.codeguru.com that allows me to capture the
> screen as a bmp file. briefly stated, the process consists of converting
DDB
> to DIB, and then writing the DIB to file.

> My question is, whether I can specify a low quality mode in order for my
> .bmp file to take less space. now my .bmp file takes about 3.00 MB. is
there
> any way OTHER than converting to .jpg or .png?

> Thanks...

> Michelle

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:49:37 GMT
 Save desktop as .bmp with low quality
Before you think about jpg or png (which is really hard to implement
compared to bmp) you should consider to use BMP's RLE-compressed subformat.
There is 8- and a 4-bit RLE-compression (BI_RLE4 and BI_RLE8) supported.

A good startingpoint is to search the MSDN-Library for the keywords
BITMAPINFOHEADER and biCompression.

regards
Stefan

Quote:
> ...My question is, whether I can specify a low quality mode in order for
my
> .bmp file to take less space. now my .bmp file takes about 3.00 MB. is
there
> any way OTHER than converting to .jpg or .png?...

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:24:36 GMT
 Save desktop as .bmp with low quality
There are classes in GDI+ that support exporting to .jpg and .png. Look
into the CImage class. GDI+ only comes standard with Windows XP, but if
I recall correctly can run (and be distributed) to >=Win98.

--Russell

Quote:

> I have code gotten from www.codeguru.com that allows me to capture the
> screen as a bmp file. briefly stated, the process consists of converting DDB
> to DIB, and then writing the DIB to file.

> My question is, whether I can specify a low quality mode in order for my
> .bmp file to take less space. now my .bmp file takes about 3.00 MB. is there
> any way OTHER than converting to .jpg or .png?

> Thanks...

> Michelle

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:27:38 GMT
 Save desktop as .bmp with low quality
There are BMP to GIF converters.  The details usually
remain ok but the colors seem to change.  This is not good
for photos or screens with tons of colors. I had to make a
software manual so i saved screens to bmps and then
converted them to gifs so they were easier to manage.

Quote:

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:19:24 GMT

1. High-Quality Low-Cost Software Development

2. High-Quality Low-Cost Software Development

3. High-Quality Low-Cost Software Development

4. Q: How to save current desktop wallpaper?

5. Saving BMP in BIG ENDIAN

6. URGENT : How to save bitmaps into bmp files.

7. help for bmp saving ??

8. Saving CBitmap to a bmp file

9. help for saving the bmp file

10. Saving a whole covered window to BMP file

11. Unable to Save window image to BMP file on disk

12. Saving BMP Files to Disk