Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message
Author Message
 Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message

All -

Every now and then I see a critcal message box appaer with the following
information:

  Socket Notification Sink: mm32.exe - Application Error
  The instruction at "0x78011f41" referenced memory at "0x3c29094e". The
memory could not be "read".

  Click on OK to terminate the program
  Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Can anyone explain what could cause this?

Chris

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:46:45 GMT
 Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message
If you ( program ) use CSocket ( CAsyncSocket ) the it need callback
function of some window (  Notification Sink )
and fail or call it or in it.
Arkady

Quote:
> All -

> Every now and then I see a critcal message box appaer with the following
> information:

>   Socket Notification Sink: mm32.exe - Application Error
>   The instruction at "0x78011f41" referenced memory at "0x3c29094e". The
> memory could not be "read".

>   Click on OK to terminate the program
>   Click on CANCEL to debug the program

> Can anyone explain what could cause this?

> Chris

Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:25:36 GMT
 Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message
I don't quite understand.  Could you provide some pseudo code or a little
more indepth explaination?

Cheers
Chris

Quote:
> If you ( program ) use CSocket ( CAsyncSocket ) the it need callback
> function of some window (  Notification Sink )
> and fail or call it or in it.
> Arkady

> > All -

> > Every now and then I see a critcal message box appaer with the following
> > information:

> >   Socket Notification Sink: mm32.exe - Application Error
> >   The instruction at "0x78011f41" referenced memory at "0x3c29094e". The
> > memory could not be "read".

> >   Click on OK to terminate the program
> >   Click on CANCEL to debug the program

> > Can anyone explain what could cause this?

> > Chris

Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:12:16 GMT
 Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message
What I mean as try instead of CSocket use plain Berkey socket and see if this
situation will happen
Arkady
Quote:

> I don't quite understand.  Could you provide some pseudo code or a little
> more indepth explaination?

> Cheers
> Chris

> > If you ( program ) use CSocket ( CAsyncSocket ) the it need callback
> > function of some window (  Notification Sink )
> > and fail or call it or in it.
> > Arkady

> > > All -

> > > Every now and then I see a critcal message box appaer with the following
> > > information:

> > >   Socket Notification Sink: mm32.exe - Application Error
> > >   The instruction at "0x78011f41" referenced memory at "0x3c29094e". The
> > > memory could not be "read".

> > >   Click on OK to terminate the program
> > >   Click on CANCEL to debug the program

> > > Can anyone explain what could cause this?

> > > Chris

Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:03:39 GMT
 Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message

Quote:

> All -

> Every now and then I see a critcal message box appaer with the following
> information:

>   Socket Notification Sink: mm32.exe - Application Error
>   The instruction at "0x78011f41" referenced memory at "0x3c29094e". The
> memory could not be "read".

>   Click on OK to terminate the program
>   Click on CANCEL to debug the program

> Can anyone explain what could cause this?

> Chris

   I know everyone will thing that I am in some knid of flame
   war with arkadyf but realy that's NOT why I am here.  :)

I have found the same and/or similar problems with CSocket.
The NEWCOMMER apporach is to advise that you always use CAsyncSocket
And if this is a new project I would also advise you do that.

When I had this problems like this in my code I concluded that
CSocket was poorly implemented and depending on internal CAsync..
to CSocket message was getting out of step at socket closedown.
time.

My solution was and still is to wrap all calls to the CSocket mess
in try catch blocks and to gracefully close the socket

try
{

Quote:
}

catch (...)
{

Quote:
}

Real code snipet follows my sig

This approach fixed it for me.  But I would take the NEWCOMMER
advice if I was starting again now.  :)

ALSO I think this may much more freqent in the debug system than
in the non debug build.

Have fun

--
Roger

//*********************************************************************
void CLogServerThread::OnNewCfgReport( WPARAM a, LPARAM b)
{
   CNewCfgReport * pNcr = reinterpret_cast< CNewCfgReport *>(a);

   int nErr = 0;
   try
   {
      *m_LineSocket.m_pArcOut << (int) RPf_NEWCFG_REPORT;
       pNcr->m_nCompat =     m_pCmdLogPair->m_verHighestCommon.compat;  //
so it will be sent correctly
      *m_LineSocket.m_pArcOut << pNcr;
      m_LineSocket.m_pArcOut->Flush();
//       m_LineSocket.EndComplexObject_ArcOut();

       delete pNcr;
      return;
   }
   catch( CArchiveException * pE)
   {
//      ASSERT(0);
      nErr = extractError( pE, m_bShutdownRequested);
      pE->Delete();
   }
   catch( CFileException * pE)
   {
//      ASSERT(0);
      nErr = extractError( pE, m_bShutdownRequested);
      pE->Delete();
   }
   catch( CException * pE)
   {
//      ASSERT(0);
      nErr = 13870;
      pE->Delete();
   }
   catch (...)
   {
      // guess - that the socket is blown away while
      //         we are attempting to use it here
      //         if so then a catch like this should be OK as
      //         a workarround
//      ASSERT(0);
//      nErr = 13877;
      return;
   }

   CloseLineSocketTellBoss();

}

Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:01:52 GMT
 Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message
Hi, Roger !
I don't know what is mm32 but it's not the only place with "Socket
Notification Sink" go to network forums and see there , BTW
CAsyncSocket will not help , IMHO , look at the "battle field" :) for
my explanation of "why".
But where all the gurus to describe what is really the decision ...
Arkady
Quote:

> [...]

>    {
> //      ASSERT(0);
>       nErr = extractError( pE, m_bShutdownRequested);
>       pE->Delete();
>    }
>    catch( CFileException * pE)
>    {
> //      ASSERT(0);
>       nErr = extractError( pE, m_bShutdownRequested);
>       pE->Delete();
>    }
>    catch( CException * pE)
>    {
> //      ASSERT(0);
>       nErr = 13870;
>       pE->Delete();
>    }
>    catch (...)
>    {
>       // guess - that the socket is blown away while
>       //         we are attempting to use it here
>       //         if so then a catch like this should be OK as

Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:47:31 GMT
 Error - Socket Notificiation Sink Message
Roger -

I found the error.  In a debug statement, we had a reference to a string
that was NULL and not populated that we were trying to write to a file when
sending files to the remote system.  This debug statement was modified not
to include this string and the Socket Sink error went away.

In this case, I'm not sure why it was through a socket sink error; however
it was.

Looks like our release version is ready to go.

Thanks to everyone.
Chris

Quote:

> [...]

>    {
> //      ASSERT(0);
>       nErr = extractError( pE, m_bShutdownRequested);
>       pE->Delete();
>    }
>    catch( CFileException * pE)
>    {
> //      ASSERT(0);
>       nErr = extractError( pE, m_bShutdownRequested);
>       pE->Delete();
>    }
>    catch( CException * pE)
>    {
> //      ASSERT(0);
>       nErr = 13870;
>       pE->Delete();
>    }
>    catch (...)
>    {
>       // guess - that the socket is blown away while
>       //         we are attempting to use it here
>       //         if so then a catch like this should be OK as

Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:12:58 GMT

1. socket notification sink error?

2. Socket Notification Sink Error

3. Socket Notification Sink Error

4. Socket Notification Sink Error

5. Socket Notification Sink - Error

6. CSocket: socket notification sink ERROR

7. Q: threads, sockets, "sink notification error"

8. Q: threads + socket = "sink notification error"?

9. Socket Sink Notification Error

10. HELP: Socket Notification Sink error using Released MFC DLL

11. Socket Notification Sink???

12. Socket Notification Sink